Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first gold ring on the homestead !!!!!

burlbark

This is why I should never pass up another shallow pulltab. It rung up as a 39 and was 1.5" down. I thought for sure pulltab but I have been trying to dig all of them. And after my last gopher mound find I thought I better dig everything that repeats here until there in not a target left.

The ring came out of the ground looking like copper that had patina over it. I thought it was a kids ring until I cleaned it and saw that it had been sized. It is a mans sized ring.

It was almost black in color. I acid tested it and my 10k acid eats it. It is really old gold probably more like 7k. The ranch has been here since 1886 in the same families hands and before that it was a Civil war soldiers. I gave it to the land owners just 30 minutes ago and they where very happy, they kept saying how I found it on Valentines day. I wanted to keep it but I had to give it to them, It was the right thing to do. It may have been the 79 year old woman's fathers ring or perhaps even his father.

Great find!:thumbup:
You did the right thing, you'll probably be able to hunt there now till the cows come home!

Neil in West Jersey said:
Nice job!

Were there any markings on the inside of the ring?

No markings at all. There used to be a company lumber store here in the town and it may have been one of these. The family supplied the the timbers for construction of the Golden Gate bridge. Unfortunately the majority of land around the house has a foot of fill dirt littered with nails.

We're proud of you B, and I hope that lady luck guides you onto another 'goldie' very soon.

If only the modern detector designers would get back to fundamentals and provide a push-button-selectable audio mode that was similar to the old basic modulated tone.

That gave pull-tabs a sharp, distinctive edge to their response, whereas rings and coins usually gave a softer mellow rise and fall audio signal.

How many rocks does a gold prospector shift before he hits the 'yellow stuff'?

So it must be for the 'ring' hunter.....he will shift many-many pull-tabs.

I once stood in a deep pool on a beach in Wales,UK, with a Whites Surfmaster PI., and recovered over THIRTY pull-tabs before I saw that large gents gold ring on my spade.

I think that the detectorist who digs primarily using his 'audio-instincts', rather than numbers, will be more successful than a 'digit-digger'.

So congrats once again 'B', and we're all sharing that 'good feeling' because of your generosity.

Tex.UK

There might be a way to program that audio response with a bit of creativity. But that is a very pretty ring congats.

burlbark said:
Nice job!

The family supplied the the timbers for construction of the Golden Gate bridge.

I was not aware there was any timber used in the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

burlbark said:
Nice job!

The family supplied the the timbers for construction of the Golden Gate bridge.

I was not aware there was any timber used in the construction of the Golden Gate Bridge.

Temporary scaffolding and temporary decking where used all through construction. I would assume that the concrete molds for the footings had some lumber construction for reinforcement.

Very nice find! Thanks for sharing. Great pictures and a class act of honor by returning something from their land!

NebTrac

Great work! It's a nice ring,with a wonderfull outcome! You are to be commended. We detectorists would get great pleasure hunting and finding such a treasure....we would then "put with our other mounds of goodies",but in this case,just imagine the great conversation this will make for the land owners every time they show it to someone. Well done indeed!