Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My First Gold Ring!!

Neita SC

It sounds like this week has been great for members finding rings. Well I am happy to say that I can be added to that list with finding my first GOLD ring.

I traveled to one of my local schools and literally within 5 minutes of my hunt, the F5 hit on a strong nickle signal. 28 TID. I expected to pop a nickle out of the ground, but low and behold.....It's a heart shaped gold ring!!! and with 10 little diamonds!!! How sweet is that. I was so excited and let out a little woohoo. There were people around so I didn't do the happy dance. There's an inscription within of an incomplete Bible verse. Since this is one ring of a two-part wedding ring set, the rest of the inscription must be on the second ring. Now wouldn't it be very cool if I could find the second ring to complete the set. There is not a gold karat stamp. I think the inscription deleted that. The rest of the hunt produced coinage, along with a clad half dollar. This is my 4th half dollar at this school. How unusual that is.

I have to give a special thanks to Crusher28. He recently posted a comment that stuck in my mind when I read it. Quote from Crusher28 "I also find a lot of nickles with my F5. Where there's nickles there's GOLD." Least to say it holds true. Some may have already realized it, but us newbies are still learning.

Well, again.... congrats to Coinstar's first ring; and Marcomo and Jim's silver. It's been a good week for all so far. Wonder what the weekend will bring. HH

disc at 8, thresh at 5, gain at 70, gb in the 60s.

Now ask the big question and see if you can answer it. "Why did I find this where I found it?"
That will lead to more.

Congrats!
HH
Mike

Like I've said, the F5 IS a great little detector for it's price.

Well done on the ring. :clapping:

ah great master. I know the answer to that one. I have learned from your posts. Thx

Great gold find, first or not. Teachers and teachers helpers seem to loose a lot of gold. 4 of my gold ring finds last year came from school yards and school yard tot lots. That is just the first of many for you, I am sure. HH jim tn

n/t

Congrats on your Great find, I know on my F-70 10k gold VID's as nickels HH many more to come

cool ring -- very cool! I bought one exactly like it years ago for my wife. You guys and gals are awesome!

I do NOT know the answer to Mr. Hillis's question, other than "gold is where you find it!" Can someone wiser than I, fill me in?!

I have tried my wedding band, a pretty large one, and it IDs around 48 on my F-70. It's 14K. Crazy how much of the lower end of the TID spectrum a gold ring can hit at. I decided the other day, at a local park, that I'd find my first ever gold ring. Result? I dug 8 trillion pull tabs and bits of foil. I have serious doubts that I'll ever find one -- digging foil bits and tabs gets SO old; but I know that to find a gold ring, that's what you have to do...frustrating! :) Oh, did I mention the bottom of the old-style christmas light bulbs? Our local parks decorate at Christmas time, and there are TONS of those old, broken bulbs with those metal bases, buried around the parks, that ring in in the mid 40s -- right where a large gold ring should (according to how mine hits on the TID). Those bulb bases, tiny bits of foil, pull tabs, and the metal holders of pencil erasers off of old pencils (at school yards) are EVERYWHERE; when I commit to digging all of those 20s to 40s TIDs, I go home with a pouch full of trash, very few coins (haven't been able to cover enough ground due to digging all the trash), and NEVER a gold ring! Frustrating hunts. AHHH!!!

Steve

Steve

Send me your email and I will send ya some notes I took that may help ya.
I tried to send you a PM, but it doesn't look like it sent. If you got it, then disregard sending your email.
I can't remmeber how long you have to be a member before u can receive personal messages.

Neita

Ok lets be real about this. Most of my gold ring finds are at the beaches where they get lost in the sand very quickly and are hidden from site. School yards,parks,ball fields are quite different, when a ring is droped it stays on top of the ground for awhile
giving someone who is just walking by a chance to find it first. Here is a true story. When I was a young boy back in the 1950s I use to go to all the school yards and parks after there were baseball games, football games and walk around and look for shinny things that the sun would reflect off of. I did find some change back then and other things, no rings. It was always enough to buy some ice cream back then (10 cents for a cup ).
Now I use a 500 to 800 dollar metal detector and still only find enough to buy a cup of ice cream (4-6 dollars today)

Very nice ring, hope you can find the other half of it. HH Jimmie

I never target gold rings exclusively, but find some annually. I don't dig all tabs and slaw, but do work at digging nickels. 9 out of 10 gold rings I recover id as a nickel. I don't use notch and very little or no disc. Did I say that I work hard at recovering nickels? Yes, The LTD and I do get fooled by some tabs and slaw. When that happens, I would rather be safe then sorry. I know that when I am digging some nickels that gold will be coming along sometime as well. HH jim tn

Your first gold, that's exciting Neita, congrats!

With silver and the F5, more often than not you have a good reason to hope before you dig based on the F5 numbers. But gold is a beautiful surprise!

Neita SC: Great finds, my F-5 is one of my favorite go to detectors. We are both followers of Master Hillis, I seldom post,but read the forums closely, you have gone from a newbie to a pro in a very short period of time, Good work. Steve