Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My First Impressions

earthmansurfer

My Deus came today and I charged it up. In two hours it said full on both the coil and control box (No wireless headphones for me). I got out for 3 hours or so (battery levels didn't change) and hit a spot that I had hit extensively with my V3i (now departed) and then a little bit with my E-Trac - medium small and stock coils.

I ran with a slightly modified GMP (program 2) - Disc 5, Freq 11.7, Audio Response 3, 4 tones and I moved the two upper breakpoints to fit my average coins here (63-88, 89+). The mineralization index was no bars most of the time and sometimes at 3 - saw it hit the midpoint a few times but think that was an anomaly. The GB was ranging from 80 - 90 most of the time, sometimes lower. I used tracking as the GB point after pumping seemed to move quite a bit and so I thought to ditch pumping, and it worked well apparently.

Curious - How would you rate my soil according to the Deus? Almost all machines I've had have a jumpy Id in my soil - at depth.

I pulled a small jewelry cross (Jesus broke up and off), small jewelry button, partial spoon handle, heart locket, thimble, small pin, another picture locket, 3 smaller coins (1924 & 2X 1925's - all hit around 70), a heavy copper bracelett. (No precious metals with the preceding). The Deus reminded me a little of the T2 in how it was very sensitive to small objects BUT the Deus runs much quiter. I also ran the sensitivity at 92 at the end, was too chatty above that. Took me the first 2 hours to get a feel for the signals as they are shorter than I'm used to on the E-Trac - a bit more condensed with info I guess. I dug some very small metal bits and even pinpointed them to make sure they weren't small bits, but I still got fooled and fooled bad. :veryangry: The deepest target I dug was exactly 7" and it gave NO VID and was around .5" X 2" and flat. I dug another target (screw) that was 2" deep and gave NO VID, except when out of the ground (22 I think) - Must have been near iron is my guess. I mostly dug signals above 65 or so, but played with some down to 50. I was really looking for coins and the 3 I found were only 3" to 5" deep and hit quite well and sounded coin like (2 of them I KNOW I had been over in the past). I dug a few NO VID signals (4 or so) and only one was deep, the others were small targets not deep at all - a bit frustrating. As with many detectors those small bits often are tough on me.

I used my Gray Ghost DMC headphones with an adapter and as others have said the adapters don't fit in all the way and it made for getting a signal tough - I was often fidgeting with the cable where it plugs into the control box. My mp3 buds work fine though, but they don't sound clear, rather a bit fuzzy (and yet they are great quality for music). I have to try to file down the metal at the base on the 3.5mm male end so it can go deeper into the control unit and that will fix things I'm positive. It would be nice if XP sells an adapter as if they find one that fits right it will save the rest of us with wired headphones some searching and trial & error.

The Good - Very light machine & I was able to pack it up in ONE BACKPACK with my digging tools and such! Made for easy biking. Very fast even with reactivity on 2 (played with Deus fast but no real need for it here.). Relatively intuitive to use (My menu is in German and I still was able to go through it pretty easily - most words are almost the same). The sounds have a nice nuance to them, in particular around the edges if that makes sense. Will take some learning for sure.

The "Will take some gettings used to" - The meter really jumps around (at times, not always), again reminding me of my T2. It doesn't do this on all targets though. Buttons could be larger - need to use your finger nail sometimes but not a biggy. Will take time to learn the sounds, they are much shorter than on my E-Trac. Small targets (like 1/4" or less) were a real problem for me, I dug too many of those but started to get a bit better at them by the end of the hunt.

Thx,
Albert

Hi Albert, how did I know I would see you with a Deus any minute now? haha. Sounds like you are having a good start with it anyway.

"The sounds have a nice nuance to them, in particular around the edges if that makes sense."

I completely agree with you there. Your point is something that I have been stressing here on the forum. The shape/texture of the sounds is where the Deus really shines. Its not about the pitch of the tone, but rather the texture that gives you so much information. Seems like you are already figuring that out. As for the headphones, what made you opt out of the wireless? For me the wireless headphones were an extreme selling point and I think they are great.

I look forward to your coming pics and videos with this machine and I am sure you will do great with it. It's a lot of fun, easy to use and very capable. I'm sure it will be a great match for you.

HH-Marc

Hey Marc, You must have seen my frequent complaints on the E-Trac's weight! ;-) The Deus shines there and to be able to have one medium sized bag and go anywhere I want with it (no car) is a nice selling point. It is a GREAT travel detector.

I actually almost got a Deus when they first came out 2 years ago here but I was worried about depth. Now I see the Deus and E-Trac are great complimentary detectors - took me a while to figure that out.

Yeah, the sound is very nuanced. At home I ran some hot rocks under the coil and the sound, or rather light grumble, was VERY PRONOUNCED. Yeah, my other detector doesn't even signal on them, but I won't be digging that sound. I played with some iron and that was a bit tricky but I'll learn that as well. I didn't dig much iron at all my first time out and what I did dig, was either a screw or a small round piece - those would foot most detectors. Small targets will be the big challenge for me, but I'm sure it will come around relatively quick, just have to adjust to shorter sounds.

I thought to wait on the headphones as I don't like hearing outside sounds. Some of my spots are right near traffic. I will either wait till XP puts out a pair or regular wireless or get them from some of the guys who mod them in the UK OR just stick with my gray ghosts - whose sounds I love. The wireless headphones (I've had them before on the V3i) aren't a big deal to me. I actually take them off on EVERY DIG as I like to hear the birds and such ;-) What would be nice is if XP puts out headphones in where the controller part can easily be swapped with the backphones. I would go for that.

I'll get to working on the videos. My video mount will fit but their will be less screen in the shots, still should be educational.

Thx,
Albert

Hey Albert....

glad you got you a DEUS...

They are great detector's...When used as intended...The designer's really has a passion for building a machine that will sniff through iron debris...And this is where the strong point is of the machine.. first and foremost...

It is a machine you will take a awhile to ge the settings right for you...but thats the beauty of it...The ability to do so...

I think you will really like it in areas littered with iron debris...

Keith

Albert.....where is the video? lol...I've come to rely on your videos. I just recently purchased an XP Deus too and can't wait to get it in my hands.

Thanks Keith. I really respect your opinion - you are one knowledgable dude! I will try running the Deus in my modified GMP but with no discrimination and see how that goes. I'd like to hear how heavy the iron is and then when it gets hot I will switch to Deus Fast, which I did a little yesterday. I hope the next update adds the option for another tone or two. Ok, it's an American thing with multiple tones. But I would really like to run zero disc. (which takes up a tone) and then 0-10 at 200, 2nd tone. And then 11-45ish at tone 3. Then have the last two tones for my coin range, top one being 89+ for silver (That makes 5). Beauty of this machine is that can probably be written EASILY by a programmer.

I like how I can read the forums, come across a good idea and just pull out the remote and put it in there without having to take the hole detector out! Wonder if that will work when it's out of range too???

BarberDan - Hey, you really a barber? My Gpa was, lots of respect for them! Hey, the videos will come. I almost filmed yesterday but felt I really should get a feeling for the machine first. I'd like to get some targets in iron and see if the E-Trac can hit on them. Won't make it in a bad way as each machine has it's uses as Keith said above. But it's still nice to see those uses. I think Evan (GoneHunting) alluded to the E-Trac not hitting on some finds from his Deus, would like to see how bad the iron was. Gives us a better idea of when to use which machine where. (I do love making the videos).

Albert

No Albert I'm not a Barber....but my wife is a hair dresser...does that count? lol. I took the name because the very first coin I ever found (including clad) was a 1907 Barber quarter. I didn't even know what it was. I do enjoy your videos because they are so precise and helpful. Looking forward to seeing the first one. I should have my Deus next week sometime...can't wait to get it out.

I have to admit Bart that I am starting to really like it and quick. As you know, going from an E-Trac where though sounds are important, the 2D screen is in a world of it's own. Now, that screen is 100% gone and I have 90% ears involved! I am learning the sounds quick but it just takes lots and lots of hours.

Would be nice if I had another virgin site to learn it on like I did with the E-Trac! eheheh Right now I'm hitting spots I've already hit and finding stuff I missed and consistently! I'm quite amazed by that.

earthmansurfer said:
I think Evan (GoneHunting) alluded to the E-Trac not hitting on some finds from his Deus, would like to see how bad the iron was. Gives us a better idea of when to use which machine where. (I do love making the videos).

Albert
Albert, The iron in that yard was mostly nails.. and I mean a lot of them.. from the small tack nails all the way up to long rusty size 8's. I really think the Deus shines with the shallower coins or targets in the most trashy areas.. I have been going back over alot of my sites.. nothing deep with the Deus, just shallow.. I have had several other targets that I had missed with the Trac. mostly wheats and relics. I saw were you mentioned these two machines complement each other, and I whole heartedly agree. The Deus is fast but lacks the depth, but the Trac has the depth but it slower.. not much is left after both of them comb a yard..If anyone will put the Deus thru an unbiased and rigorous go thru it will be you.. thanks for the post.. I will be watching for the EMS vids... Evan

I agree with most of what Evan just stated. Still undecided on depth yet but so far so good. I'm finding the Deus in 12khz GM Power Program the #2 program with a couple changes like 3 tones, low 200, mid 400, high 791 and iron at 4 instead of 3 to make it buzz more is finding me the indian head and wheat pennies and buffalo nickles which read all over the id on mine in the soil here very jumpy but a good sounding signal so I'm digging it. Silver dimes coming at 91 on vdi. Indian Head was bit jumpy 88 to low 90's and buffs were low numbers jumping to high numbers like nickles hit 55 these were low 50's to high 80's and low 90's but they come out all red rusty in the soil here. So far it's a copper killer for me. Found 2 Indian Heads so far a well worn 1883 and a nice 1906.

Earth, nice collection of finds. I think you will do well with the Deus for two reasons. First, it's lightweight and doesn't mess up your back. Second, you always work hard to master a machine even if it has deficencies (all detectors do). Your not a quitter:)

Hi I just received my Deus yesterday and hit the dry & wet sand this morning. I'm still learning the sounds and the over all general feel of this MD. So far I like it over my E-trac. It's light and easy to swing. I was at a beach which is known for heavy iron and trash, but was only hunting for about 2 hrs and my first find was a pocket drop of 3 pennies, I had the MD set for dry sand with factory settings and hit some more change. Who ever said that this machine isn't deep, boy I was down 18" or so digging lead sinkers, I also was down 15" and pulled a pull tab. I switched over to wet sand factory settings and about 9" down pulled a small silver ring. I can't wait to wake this sleeping beauty. By the way the beach I am hunting is in Hawaii. Been here for 25 + years now and loving it.

XP Deus & Standard coil,
E-Trac, Excal II,
Garrett LS 2 coils,
Old school Excal, with 8" horseshoe coil
Whites DF,
Sand Shark 8" coil

cqcmj said:
Hi I just received my Deus yesterday and hit the dry & wet sand this morning. I'm still learning the sounds and the over all general feel of this MD. So far I like it over my E-trac. It's light and easy to swing. I was at a beach which is known for heavy iron and trash, but was only hunting for about 2 hrs and my first find was a pocket drop of 3 pennies, I had the MD set for dry sand with factory settings and hit some more change. Who ever said that this machine isn't deep, boy I was down 18" or so digging lead sinkers, I also was down 15" and pulled a pull tab. I switched over to wet sand factory settings and about 9" down pulled a small silver ring. I can't wait to wake this sleeping beauty. By the way the beach I am hunting is in Hawaii. Been here for 25 + years now and loving it.

XP Deus & Standard coil,
E-Trac, Excal II,
Garrett LS 2 coils,
Old school Excal, with 8" horseshoe coil
Whites DF,
Sand Shark 8" coil

Looking forward to more reports from the beach. How does the Deus compare to your other beach machines? 18 and 15 inches, sounds more like a PI machine, but with discrimination.

Terra - The weight is a pleasure, for sure. After putting a few more hours on it I have noticed the following:

I like -

Weight and balance
packability - So quick to put in my backpack, unpack and set up, pack back up and move to a new spot, etc.
Program-ability - near perfect amount (perhaps in a future update they could add more flexibility with the tones, volume control for wired speakers, etc.)
The sound is where it is at. Very very descriptive. I am impressed here.
It does get some depth in my iron mineralized ground. I have dug foil at a measured 12" - just going by the sound. 7" or 8" seems to be the critical level in my ground.

Some problems -

VID cuts out around 7" or so in my iron mineralized ground on coins. Maybe 8" on the larger ones.
The sound on good targets gets a bit of an irony tone at depth, can be tricky.
The VID is jumpy at around the 4" to 7" mark on coins in my ground. Annoying BUT The sound is solid and compensates unless you want to skip on the clad at a park.
I have dug maybe 12 or so deep targets (no VID, but a good sound) and only 1 or 2 were keepers. At this depth the sound is very very short and not as descriptive as on shallower targets. Perhaps my ear needs training here but I can't tell the difference at the 8"+ mark on good vs bad targets like I can at the less than 8" mark. Coins down to there (in my iron mineralized ground) are clearly good hits.

The machine is definitely complimentary to the E-Trac and vice versa. If you have these two you have all your bases covered (minus water of course).

I may be mistaken here Albert but i purchased this machine because all the reviews,reports and field testings, which suggested that this machine was created and designed specifically for sites that were contaminated with IRON and HEAVY TRASH. Therefore its not going to excel most likely at all on deeper targets. Which is exactly why audio and VID starts to break up after about 7" or so like you said yourself. I think that this unit doesnt have the right to be compared to the E-trac at all. Its a totally different machine all together. I really enjoy the Deus because of its lightning fast separation at near shallow depths which is able to find more good targets in a shorter period, instead of wasting alot of time trying to make a deep signal sound perfect or get tagged with an ID. If i were you i would try to figure out target blending on co-located trash items and sifting through iron patches because it seems like thats what this machine was created to do in the first place and let me tell ya it is! an amazing little piece of equipement. Since a little over a month ago my ring count and my silver coin count has had a dramatic jump up. Why because i think that the Deus is recognizing positive TIDs on targets blended in with hundreds of years of iron and junk. I gave up on "seeking" deep targets but i also know how to spot a deeper target if i come across one every now and then. I would also like to add that i think E-Trac Virginia and Marc have the right idea. To own both the e trac and the deus. If i could have my cake and eat it too i would definately buy another E-trac and purchase a much larger coil because it was an excellent deep searching machine. One thing i know is if i find a coin with the Deus in the 10-12" range then that would be a hint to bring in the E-trac. Albert i love your videos keep em coming! HH

I used the excal and sand shark in the water, The sand shark is much deeper than the excals but of course the sand shark is a PI too. So you can imagine when the deus was reaching down deep in the dry sand almost as deep as the sand shark. I was digging lead just a little larger than a BB. and I was down over 7". So I will be taking her out again today and see what I can get. All our beaches here in Hawaii are about the same make up, there are just a few on other islands that are highly mineralized, One thing with the sand shark I was picking up hot rocks at the same beach I was hunting with the deus, the deus never hit on one. I'm still learning so today I will try and make up some of my own settings and see how she will act. In Hawaii it's hard for us to hunt in parks or schools grounds because the ground is so hard to dig in but I will be also giving that a try as well.

cqcmj said:
I used the excal and sand shark in the water, The sand shark is much deeper than the excals but of course the sand shark is a PI too. So you can imagine when the deus was reaching down deep in the dry sand almost as deep as the sand shark. I was digging lead just a little larger than a BB. and I was down over 7". So I will be taking her out again today and see what I can get. All our beaches here in Hawaii are about the same make up, there are just a few on other islands that are highly mineralized, One thing with the sand shark I was picking up hot rocks at the same beach I was hunting with the deus, the deus never hit on one. I'm still learning so today I will try and make up some of my own settings and see how she will act. In Hawaii it's hard for us to hunt in parks or schools grounds because the ground is so hard to dig in but I will be also giving that a try as well.

I'm assuming that you were running in 18 KHz with little little disc to pick up the BB size objects. I've found stuff so small in 18 KHz, that I had a difficult time finding it with the Pro-Pointer. Would be really good on the small earring type jewelry. Look forward to your parks and school ground hunts.