Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

my first indian head penny tonight!!!! :clap:

runninnavaho

So I got out for an hour (8-9pm) just as it was getting dark and cooling down. I went to the "school with the sign". I walked in an area that I hadn't walked before and found nothing.just some clad (25

Congrats. An IH is on my list, but I haven't dug one yet. I know they're in my area, but not as prevalent as they seem to be back east. I'll get one eventually. I clean my crusty Wheat cents with electrolysis and have good results. I use sodium carbonate (not bi-carbonate) in my water bowl. You can get it at Walmart by buying a product used for swimming pool conditioning.

I put hydrogen pyroxide in a shot glass, nuke the contents 110 seconds, then drop the coin on in and wait a feww. Come out cleaner, and brown. I do not recommend this if you are concerned with the numismatic value of such coin, Double-D.

This coin is so far gone the numismatic value doesn't matter any.

Woot woot!

Makes no difference what shape it's in, an Indian is an Indian, is an Indian and it's off you bucket list now baby.

WTG, onward and upward

Thanks a lot!!!!

Its 1894

Congradulations on your first IH cent.. there'll be more to follow.
I went out yesterday and got one myself.. 1907 and I was actually able to get the date off of it fresh from the ground.
I haven't read the other responses, but as far as cleaning, I have had excellant results by pouring some hydrogen peroxide in a small plastic or glass cup or other small container and placing it in the microwave for 30 seconds to heat it and then remove and place the IH cent in it. It will start fizzing and you can remove it and rinse it with water and a toothbrush to check the condition and if extra time is needed.
I have had some very cruddy looking pennies and after soaking them in the method above, was very surprised at was under all that mess.
Here's the one I found yesterday before soaking in peroxide. It looks very nice now after some soaking.
This pic was taken shortly after a little brushing under water in a restroom during a break in detecting.. I don't usually find them in this condition right out of the ground... this condition with such little cleaning is rare for me.. most times you can't even make out what it is.
Post an after pic if you try the peroxide,
Felix

I will try it thanks so much

Congrats on your first Injun, I use the peroxide method described above to loosen the crud then use a stout toothpick to rub off the more stubborn stuff.

OK so after the multiple peroxide dips I have made progress. The obverse of the coin is still rough but the reverse is 100% better. Any other suggestions to further the cleaning process?

For some reason the obverse is almost always in worse shape compared to the reverse.
You might try taking a toothpick and scraping around the areas where the crust is still on and then give it another peroxide bath or two to see if it helps.

I'm gonna do it again and keep you updated.