Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My FIRST nickle and my FIRST dime today!

FB49

Dug 4 plugs today and found some old fence wire, 2 screws, a Lincoln penny (1963), a Jefferson nickle (1995), and a Liberty head dime (1917). All three coins were within 6 feet of each other and I was surprised at how much less corrosion there was on the dime and how well it washed up.

Attachments

• 02-18-21.JPG
    02-18-21.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 187
Great firsts, you are on the board! I never found a merc yet. Congratulations!

I would say you are off to a great start. It took me over one year of detecting to find my first silver. Try digging some signals that are not crystal clear and you might find some items of interest.

Being so new at this I guess I wasn't aware how rare these Merc dimes are. In seven visits to the site I've found 9 pennies, 1 nickel, and the dime plus a lot of junk, and there is another 2 acres to go. I'm pretty sure this old farmhouse site has never been hunted before and I always find something of interest every hunt. The old Victorian house was physically removed to a new location in 2009 but the foundation was broken up and back filled so I haven't found much directly underneath where the house stood.

If you can find pictures of the house look to see where the doors and sidewalks to and from the house to the street were and where the porch might have been, and hopefully a clothesline, work those areas first. Save you a bit of time and hopefully get you some more keepers!!

You have been bitten and the detecting venom is in your blood for life 🤣
Beautiful early merc!

I was there before and during the house move so I've got a pretty good idea where the doors were. Thanks. There's also an old stone well (still standing) near the back kitchen door. That might be a good spot to investigate. Found two pennies (both 80's), a brass key, and something at 8 inches deep that looks like maybe an old grain cutting tool? Here are a couple pictures of the house before the move (note the stone well), and during the actual house move.

Attachments

• 2017-02-09 12.11.49.jpg
    2017-02-09 12.11.49.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 151
  • P1050942.JPG
    P1050942.JPG
    4.7 MB · Views: 147
I was there before and during the house move so I've got a pretty good idea where the doors were. Thanks. There's also an old stone well (still standing) near the back kitchen door. That might be a good spot to investigate. Found two pennies (both 80's), a brass key, and something at 8 inches deep that looks like maybe an old grain cutting tool? Here are a couple pictures of the house before the move (note the stone well), and during the actual house move.
Nice house! So glad that it was moved & saved to live in as home to someone! Ma

Being so new at this I guess I wasn't aware how rare these Merc dimes are. In seven visits to the site I've found 9 pennies, 1 nickel, and the dime plus a lot of junk, and there is another 2 acres to go. I'm pretty sure this old farmhouse site has never been hunted before and I always find something of interest every hunt. The old Victorian house was physically removed to a new location in 2009 but the foundation was broken up and back filled so I haven't found much directly underneath where the house stood.
If you have any idea where the cloths line might have been, look along it. They are frequently 10 to 20 feet back from where the back door of the house was. Sometimes there is an anchor in an old tree that helps find where the line might have been.

Great finding silver. You need to be in a place where there was human activity long enough ago to have silver coins in the pocket.
Congrats! Welcome to the forum; and good luck!

If you can find pictures of the house look to see where the doors and sidewalks to and from the house to the street were and where the porch might have been, and hopefully a clothesline, work those areas first. Save you a bit of time and hopefully get you some more keepers!!
Also see if you can find a small depression of the path hurrying to the old outhouse. people lost a lot of things hurrying to the out house . I have found many good targets that way. Also check to see if you can locate where the mailbox was located. When they used horses to deliver mail. they drove the wagon with driver on right hand side like the USPS still does today. Check across the road also Check along both sides of driveway. Check around all large trees. Best of luck to you.

Carver