Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MY FIRST REAL HUNT WITH THE RACER2

Favotti

Hi all, I dont really post here or anywhere else. I have had the racer2 for just over a week now, and its everything that the red racer wasn't (for my uses). I hunt mostly for shallow coins and jewellery in a fast fashion in trashy environments. For Australian modern coins the racer2 and its adjustable settings are the best I've come across to date, I have used an array of other machines, ctx, deus, xterra 705, racer and g2+ omega and others, but this machine with its new number range, speed and the ability to id crown caps and screw caps ( a little higher than our gold coins) almost immediately make it stand out. The ctx does just as well but its heavier and i can't go at the speed I can with the racer2, not to mention the price, but the ctx has alot of other uses too ( its a keeper)..

I feel that I like the coil on the original racer a little more, I can't really explain why but I think I feel a little under done while using the new one, apart from that this new racer2 is perfect. It is in my opinion the best all-purpose machine that I have used. Target id at depth is quite good but as those who have used these machines would know audio is the real key. In 2tone the vco is a dream for the shallow coin hunter, it smashes hard on them, stops you in your tracks even if your at a slow jog, its that fast and precise.

Now I'm just waiting for some reviews on a slightly larger coil, nel tornado, mars tiger or similar, just to cover a bit more ground.

Today's hunt was in a trashy park environment and I managed to take $105+ from it with the usual junk maybe 30 bottle tops but most retrievals were coins, the other above mentioned machines would have been quite capable of finding this loot, but I know that this racer2 gave me a distinct advantage and made things so much easier. I can't say this machine will work for everybody but if this type of hunting style sounds like yours, this is the machine to get. I do understand that Australian coin totals can add up alot faster than some other countries, so this hunting style can make alot more sense over here.

Theres my take on the racer2, Cheers.

Nice hunt, soon the detector will pay for himself with that kind of money piles.

where you have those nice, smaller-size $2 coins for folks to lose. :clapping: I sure wish the :usaflag: would join :canadaflag: and :ausflag: by dumping our paper $1 and pushing more $1 and $2 coins into circulation ... and keep them smaller sized, too. It would really encourage more folks to get out Coin Hunting ... :detecting:

Enjoy the Racer 2 which is my main-use Coin & Jewelry Hunting detector now.

Monte

sounds great to me as I'm a G2+ fan (current detector) and just pre-ordered the Racer2....

can you speak to how the audio compares between the 2? I really like the g2+ vco, esp with iron audio....

curious if you found/chased any deeper targets during your time with the R2?

I'm wondering if there's audio info to suggest a deeper 'good' target since the R2 has no running depth guage...

I'm hoping to pay mine off with 1 and 2 $ coins also....

cheers (from canada, another high $ change country)

My Tiger coil for the Racer just arrived at my wife's office and I will do an air test depth comparison between that and the stock coil tonight. (With my Racer 1)

Nice digs.

Great let us know. I'm really interested in that coil for the Racer. Currently have one on the way for the Omega 8500 should be here Friday.

horikindaguy said:
sounds great to me as I'm a G2+ fan (current detector) and just pre-ordered the Racer2....

can you speak to how the audio compares between the 2? I really like the g2+ vco, esp with iron audio....

curious if you found/chased any deeper targets during your time with the R2?

I'm wondering if there's audio info to suggest a deeper 'good' target since the R2 has no running depth guage...

I'm hoping to pay mine off with 1 and 2 $ coins also....

cheers (from canada, another high $ change country)

Hi, the g2+ was the unit I parted with to get the r2. I had 2 racers (target id and the 82 grouping not ideal for my hunting) but got rid of both for the g2+ due to the extra features it had. So when I seen the r2 was coming I knew I had to have it because I knew how well the racer could have been with a few minor changes.

The g2 vco audio was quite good but the racers leave it for dead, a great example of the audio is low boys latest youtube upload, it stops you in your tracks (shallow targets).

So far I havent exactly chased deep targets but I have come across some at say 6" (deep for me and I usually only run 55 sensitivity) and the audio is crisp for good targets like coins with reasonable id numbers, I really don't hunt for deep stuff so can't really give you much more than that. The audio is the real info on the racer machines, there are small cracks and chirps but when you come across a good target you know about it, it sounds that good you just can't walk away from it, it needs to be dug. As far as iron audio, I run in 2tone with a high disc most of the time (so no iron audio) and when i get an iffy signal I flick over to 3tone where iron audio is set to a level of 2 and works a treat, having said that I dont really hit iron loaded sites like many guys do on here.

The trouble I had with the g2 was that it was missing targets and surface targets too, I dont know how or why, wasn't masking or anything like that, may have been my very fast sweep speed, so I was losing confidence in that machine, this is where the racer really shines, I can swing as fast as physically possible and with the vco and reactivity speed I can be totally confident that I am not missing targets. Another issue I was having with the g2 was crown caps and our $2 coin, same id and the raise the coil trick didn't always work due to the small size of the coin, it would act the same as a crown cap on some occaisions, with the racers not an issue, sweep over the crown cap extremely fast and the cap wont register where as a coin will loud and clear.

The g2 screen set up on the handle also worried me a bit as it felt a little flimsy and I was always worried it might snap off at some stage, in my opinion although the g2+ is a steady machine your r2 will make it redundant.

Hope that helps some, cheers.

Monte said:
where you have those nice, smaller-size $2 coins for folks to lose. :clapping: I sure wish the :usaflag: would join :canadaflag: and :ausflag: by dumping our paper $1 and pushing more $1 and $2 coins into circulation ... and keep them smaller sized, too. It would really encourage more folks to get out Coin Hunting ... :detecting:

Enjoy the Racer 2 which is my main-use Coin & Jewelry Hunting detector now.

Monte

Thank You, I'm sure I'll have a ball.

Davethejunky said:
My Tiger coil for the Racer just arrived at my wife's office and I will do an air test depth comparison between that and the stock coil tonight. (With my Racer 1)

Nice digs.

I look forward to it, Cheers.

thanks Favotti,

now I'm really pumped thinking about my upcoming R2...I got the pro pack for the 5" coil as I also want to try some sites that 'had'
some older deep silver in the past.

and I prefer the 5x10 so am getting that also...

G2+ redundant? I'll believe it when I see it!

cheers, and thanks for the tip re: crown cap vs coin...I'll give it a try...

"I hunt mostly for shallow coins and jewelry in a fast fashion in trashy environments."

Exactly why I want the Racer 2 - I think it has the makings for being one of the best jewelry detectors on the market. The ability to shift the dual tone breaks and assign custom tones plus precise notching is exactly what I want in a jewelry machine.

steve herschbach said:
"I hunt mostly for shallow coins and jewelry in a fast fashion in trashy environments."

Exactly why I want the Racer 2 - I think it has the makings for being one of the best jewelry detectors on the market. The ability to shift the dual tone breaks and assign custom tones plus precise notching is exactly what I want in a jewelry machine.

The beauty of this machine is it can be set to do whatever you want it to do and do it fast and accurately. A truly great all-rounder.

one other question I forgot to ask, does the R2 produce the 'overload' signal as often as I see in Racer videos
or has it been tamed somewhat?

thanks...

horikindaguy said:
one other question I forgot to ask, does the R2 produce the 'overload' signal as often as I see in Racer videos
or has it been tamed somewhat?

thanks...

So far it doesn't seem too, it does overload but not to the extent of the original. I like the overload as it normally tells me there is something big and unworthy of a dig or it gets my attention and I look down and there is a coin spill of $10 or something like that and if I had relied on id numbers alone for such a target I might have kept walking as they would have been all over the shop ( i doubt that though because if overload didn't trigger the vco would have stopped me alone, when in 2tone). The vco, overload and audio in general all make this machine what it is, throw in notch, tone break, iron audio and everything else and its one solid unit.

Whoop Whoop - NICE finds!:clapping: