Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first semi-official coin hunt.

beachguy777

Well, I say semi-official because I met with some guys down at the beach for a coin hunt at 7pm tonight, who are all in the detector club here in San Diego called Coinshooters. Nice bunch of fellas. I didn't qualify for the hunt because I'm not an official member yet, but I hope to be. My feeling is that even though this is kind of an individual sport, so to speak, it's nice to meet with other hunters, not only for the fun competition but the comradery. Who the heck else can you talk about this stuff with except other detectorists who are into it like we are, so I enjoy that, plus I heard a couple of good stories. One guy said he found a 1700 year old roman coin, I think it was right here in town somewhere. I was amazed because what would a coin that old be doing here in San Diego, unless somebody dropped it from a collection or something, but he said he looked it up on the internet and it was that old. He said it was pretty small in size. Well we hunted the beach for 2 hours and then compared what we found at a picnic table. One guy found two nice horse shoes, and another fella found one dice that had a light in side that flickered. Kinda cute. Two of the guys found silver rings and the rest of us just found newer coins, but it was a good experience. I really want to join the club and they meet once a month but they have different outings, like today from time to time. I'm gonna try and get off work to go to the meetings if I can, cause there's also a show and tell at each meeting. What a fun deal. It's also neat to see the other detectors they're using. Pretty interesting. Well, I only found 15 coins in the 2 hour period, but they were all pretty solid hits, and I've gotta say, that Quatro is one heck of a coin machine. I think that's one of it's highlights is coins. It really does seem to like coins and I found one quarter in wet sand about 10 or 12 inches deep. This one's for shagger: one of the men told me I probably wouldn't need my small shovel, but I just smiled and noded my head, but I kept the shovel with me. I swear I use that shovel all the time along with the sand scoop, otherwise it's to time consuming with just the sand sifter, especially in wet sand. With the small shovel I can dig a 10 or 12 inch hole a lot easier and faster than with the sand scoop and it makes me feel good that the Quatro goes that deep. Well, I just wanted to share all that with you, in case anybody out there is thinking of joining a detector club in your town. I'd highly recommend it. The comradery and just plain fun of being with other people that dig treasure like you do, I think adds another dimension to this terrific hobby.

Oh, by the way, the last half of the hunt was in the dark with only the lights along the water front. Not enough for me to see what I was doing, so I'm definitly gonna go get one of those head lanterns. I like that idea, because it not only frees up your hands to dig, but it should be in a pretty good spot to help you see the face plate for the readouts. One of the guys said that here in San Diego, the summer low tides are usually late at night ore early in the morning, so if I'm gonna hit some of those looking for rings, I'll probably really need the light..

Thank you shagger, that's great. I guess I better get with the program and get out there at low tide. Thanks a lot. Beach guy.

Finn, I didn't know you were in the Coinshooters. I hope I can get off work for the meetings, especiall this one coming up. Sounds like a good one. Thanks for the response. Beach guy., or should I say "wanna be beach guy" I think I've got some dues to pay, not only for the Coinshooters, but time spent on the beach detecting.

Heh...she's not the secretary of THAT club...she's the secretary of the club HERE in Virginia Beach. :)

Does your club also do the bottle thing. I just read a book by a guy in New York that really gets into the bottle collecting and insulator stuff. I know a few guys in the Coinshooters, here in San Diego are also into that. I've always liked those old bottles, just not sure where or how to find them yet. Guess I ought to look more into it, but I'm still busy looking for stuff with my "Blue Beast" Man, every where I drive now, I'm always looking for cool places to detect, and there seems to be a never ending supply. The question is, is it legal, sometimes and which one should I try first? This really is the hobby that keeps expanding. It's a very interesting hobby to me. I can see where you can get fanatic over it. I do to sometimes. Beach Guy.

but he is in construction and when he works, he has come upon some bottles. Maybe one other fellow, but not too many. Some guys in the club are hard core CIVIL WAR junkies. Bullets, buttons, buckles, etc. But I don't think the civil war was that far out west!!!!!!!!!

Certainly is a great hobby!!!!:detecting:

That's pretty cool finn. Yea your right about the civil war, but we do have a few battle grounds from some other kind of stuff that went on, but I wonder if they'd let you detect there. I tried to run my old bounty hunter in Yosemitie National Park by a river years ago and the ranger almost had a cow. I know now I'm lucky she didn't confiscate my detector, but I was finding some square nails, when she drove up. You know, I swear at that time I didn't know any better, but she said there was an old fort there from years ago. Also there's some old mining towns around Arizona and Nevada. I've been through some of them when I didn't have a detector, but again, I'm not sure if you can detect there or not. I'd like to find out because you can imagine the old coins they probably dropped back in those old gold mining days when the guys got drunk and stuff.