Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first water scoop digs

upnorth

I had a blast water detecting ! Who knew?, well most of you already did I'm sure, lol. The rings are costume I believe. And G.od strike me dead if I lie, my first dug signal was a ring !, the little pearl jobbie. It came in high around 80-81 and was shallow. I never went much deeper than crotch and about half the time below my knees. The water clarity was pretty good until I disturbed the bottom, then I had sediment clouds. What have I learned on my first real water scoop lake digs? Well, first it was readily apparent that my over built hammers of hell stainless scoop is just too small of diameter. Yes I made recoveries, but it dawned on me quickly that a big bucket scoop would be quicker than going back in 5-6-7 times for a missed object, and some objects just never were recovered. I learned to actually DIG into the lake sand and not to assume, for some reason, that the finds are shallow. I also learned that I have a lot to learn yet, lol. The scoop isn't that bad really. I can also use it in the local shallow creek/river etc. and have some fun that way. And it is OK for shallower water use? I suppose that it is like anything, the more you use it, the better you get. Hey, I was amazed and grateful to pull out two rings on my first try. Very amazed. I was puzzled about finding a lot of clad quarters, but zero dollar coins. That seemed kind of weird. But then I remember that I am on the learning curve here. I threw my little floating finds bucket back into the trunk, as I realized that I had no attachment points on my clothing, lol. I look forward to getting out more when I can, it was great fun ! :detecting:

Lots of clad lake must not have seen much in detecting.
Coins have been in the water quite sometimes.

Good hunting, for principles.I took some time thinking about this tool, but wait till you have more practice :rofl:
Thanks for sharing
:clapping:

Joel-Winnipeg said:
Lots of clad lake must not have seen much in detecting.
Coins have been in the water quite sometimes.

And I noticed a pattern were the quarters were predominantly late 70's/early eighties. So maybe all these are good signs. I could only find one sandy spot in the area were the current cleared some of the algae bloom. I guess that I will keep working it, as it is likely as good as any other spot out there.

senda said:
Good hunting, for principles.I took some time thinking about this tool, but wait till you have more practice :rofl:
Thanks for sharing
:clapping:

Yes indeed. This one experience only revealed my ignorance. It will be interesting to see how much more efficient my recoveries will be by late summer.

Looks like the water hunting bug bit you real good! Nice finds. It's a whole new world out there in the water. Looking forward to seeing some more water finds. :)

Thats a good spot based upon all those finds and the ages of them! I bet theres gold in there! Nice hunting!:clapping:
Mud

John-Edmonton said:
Looks like the water hunting bug bit you real good! Nice finds. It's a whole new world out there in the water. Looking forward to seeing some more water finds. :)

Thanks, I am already pining to get back, lol.

mudpuppy said:
Thats a good spot based upon all those finds and the ages of them! I bet theres gold in there! Nice hunting!:clapping:
Mud

Thanks. I have a ways to go to get up to speed, but so far so good. If I find one gold ring this way, this year, I will be quite delighted.

Nice start with the scoop, upnorth. Sure wish I could get to the lake and see what's in the water. Found out yesterday the pain I've been experiencing is a contused elbow. That just means I hurt from my finger tips to my shoulder and can't even sign my name some days. Don't know when I will hit the water again. Find out what the scoop is on the 25th of this month. Last time it flared up the doctor gave me a steroid treatment to avoid surgery, but this is worse than last time. Good luck & happy hunting in the water.