Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My first year in review...

JoeVal

Today marks the end of my first year of metal detecting. The year was filled with many learning experiences, as well as some great finds (I won’t bore you with all the images). In this year I purchased and operated a Bounty Hunter Land Ranger Pro, which found lots of interesting finds. It’s also a great coin shooter, and is now my wife’s machine for dry sand and parks when we vacation in Florida in the winter.

I then bought a Tesoro Tiger Shark which drove me batty. I was too new to the hobby to appreciate what a great beach machine it was, and sold it shortly after I bought it. Now I wish I had it back.

After that came the Garrett AT Max, which I hated the sounds from the day I turned it in. Within a month I bought my Minelab Equinox 600, and spent many long hours learning the nuances of that machine, and it kept rewarding me as I learned. Today the 600 is my backup machine, because a few weeks ago I purchased anEquinox 800 just for the advanced features. (Thanks to Minelab for the veteran discount plan. We appreciate it!) I sometimes enjoy just coin shooting, so I have a program setup that just finds nickels, dimes, quarters and silver. It’s quiet and efficient, not to mention how nice it is not listening to all the junk and ferrous signals.

I found 25 rings over the last year, and was able to return one class ring to its owner. My wife has claimed a couple of the silver rings as well as a very nice silver pendant and chain found with the Bounty Hunter.

I’ve met two fellas this past year that have a passion for metal detecting, and they have both become friends of mine. Ohio Fred was the first, and he helped me a lot to understand the process and the machines. Thanks, Fred! Interestingly, we all bought Equinox machines as well. We enjoy hunting together, and we never care what we’re finding as long as we get to swing the coil,over the ground. When the hunt is over, then it’s often long sessions discussing techniques, machines or any number of subjects. Great guys!

Here is the year's closeout hunt results for the last four days, and my clad totals year to date and for the previous 12 months. It’s not about the money, as I have enough money to live comfortably. The totals represent the amount of time I’ve been fortunate enough to spend outdoors doing something I enjoy, especially when I see many of my fellow retirees who are unable to physically do what I’m able to do. Tracking the finds and coins are just a small way to keep score.

Sounds great. It's all about having fun in the great outdoors. Super finds are a nice side benefit.

Your doing a lot better than I did the first year of detecting, thanks for sharing your thoughts.
I keep hearing good things about that 800, ran across a guy who was using one in the woods one day and he was extremely happy with it. If my F5 ever dyes I might get one.

Great finds for the year.Always wish a person luck that you like to have..Hope your next year is even better.Thanks for the mention.

Howdy JoeVal--

Congratulations on your stellar first year of detecting. I agree with you - it's not about the $$$, but the $$$ is a good way to keep score. Continued success and

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel