Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My GT keeps beeping

gear box

Everytning was going good today until I set my machine down to get some water. I turned it off and layed it on the ground for a few minutes. When I turned it on it just kept beeping but not like the low battery alarm. It was a big bong like you would get on surface clad. I checked the connections and even cleaned the coil cover. I put a quarter on the ground and it wouldn't change tones or change numbers on the meter. It stayed on 163. It finally went away but returned again later. I took it out of ironmask and it was back to normal. Anybody got any ideas?
Thanks Gary

A shot in the dark. It sounds like you have moisture in the detector. Put the box in a bag and put a cup of salt in with it and close the bag. Keep it in there for 24 hours. Also check the conection going into the coil. With the detector on, tap the conector right where it goes in. See if it beeps and stops beeping. If this happens the conection is bad. I had my Elite in the air conditioning and when I went out on a hot day the humidity got in and did the same thing. Hope this remedies the problem

Yea, they say rice works well to dry out electronics. It could be a moisture thing as said. I'd also make sure the battery is good because it's possible it went bad all of a sudden and was making the machine do funky things. Like he said, tapping the coil cable right near the connector is a good idea to check for a short, as when they do develop a short it's usually right near the connector. Also tap on the cable where it enters the coil.

I'd also throw all your switches and move all your knobs around. Could be some dirt in something that is causing an off and on short making the machine go funky, as it could be switching back and fourth fast between modes or something.

Check your coil cover to make sure no sand is in there, as this will make the GT false bad.

Well, i just got back from checking my machine out. Everything seemed normal again. I did everything that was suggested except the salt trick. My wife is going to pick up one of those dessicant pouches. It was really humid yesterday, so maybe that could be it. I also had a fully charged battery which I alway's have before I go. Doesn't mean that it isn't on it's way though and maybe 4 hrs is all I can get out of it now. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.
Good luck Gary

Well my GT started squaking again today. When I put a quarter on the ground to set the meter, the machine wouldn't even pick it up. But when I moved it to look at the settings it starting beeping like like crazy even when held in the air. I wiggled the strain relief where it enters the control box and the thing went nuts. I disconnected the meter and put the coil into the control box and it worked perfectly. Looks like a loose wire in the meter plug. I did find a 1916 wheat and 6 pieces of shotgun brass without using the meter. I think I've become to rely on the meter more than I thought.
Good luck Gary

this sounds like you battery holder, take it out and make sure the batterys are connected , my musky did that same thing and i smashed it only to find out it was the battery holder see when you set it down you may have bumped the battery it is on the bottom and thear could be dirt in thear to i taped mine shut those little seems. do you have the 8 AA or the rechargable ?

I just had the same problem with my connector on the meter. When you take the connector apart, look for the damaged wire. How I fixed mine was to cut them evenly, solder off the left overs and solder them back on. This is important: They have to be very short. What you want is to have the black wire casing to be able to clamp in the connector. At the rear end of the connector. When you put the piece with the 2 screws back on make sure the wire casing is going to be clamped down. Make sure you put lock tite or a piece of black tape arround the screws or they will work themselves loose.

Excellent info for others and with a great pic to boot! I'm stealing this message to post in the coil sticky...

check your coil. My GT was doing the same thing. I had a crack in my coil. It was a hair line crack maybe about 1/4-1/2 in length. I used some epoxy and its all good now.

Gunnar I use the rechargeable battery and that looks to be ok thanks for your input. Recout thanks as well, the coil is also good. DDOU812 thanks. I took the meter plug apart and the first thing I saw was a bunch of colored wires without the heavy black plastic outer shell protecting the small wires. The little wires are flexing and bending all over the place. They are all still connected but wouldn't be surprised to find one broken inside the casing. The clamp also was loose as the screws backed out about a third of the way and it wasn't clamping on anything the wires were exposed and flexing. I will get my brother-in-law to shorten the wires and re-solder it all back. Thanks everyone i'll let you know what it turned out to be.
Good luck Gary

I feel it too is at the connector where the meter connect to the control box being it worked fine when it was disconnected. The wires are small and one is possibly broken and only making a slight connection is why it chatters.
Have your brother in law cut back a couple of inches and reinstall the connector and feel you will be fine. If you need a extra connector I have many here if you need one. What I do when I change one is cut the connector off so there is still some wire left on so you will know which wire goes on which pin.

Rick

gear box said:
Gunnar I use the rechargeable battery and that looks to be ok thanks for your input. Recout thanks as well, the coil is also good. DDOU812 thanks. I took the meter plug apart and the first thing I saw was a bunch of colored wires without the heavy black plastic outer shell protecting the small wires. The little wires are flexing and bending all over the place. They are all still connected but wouldn't be surprised to find one broken inside the casing. The clamp also was loose as the screws backed out about a third of the way and it wasn't clamping on anything the wires were exposed and flexing. I will get my brother-in-law to shorten the wires and re-solder it all back. Thanks everyone i'll let you know what it turned out to be.
Good luck Gary

The orange wire was broke in half. My detector sounded like a Black Sabbath concert

I had the same problem a few years back my GT sounded like a Geiger counter when i plugged in a extension wire i had purchased to hip mount my box before i had the longer wire from the search probe i opened the connector plugs and saw 1 white wire broke off i soldier it back on and it has worked fine since , by the way i saw Black Sabbath back in 1969 at Heidelberg castle W.Germany woohoo !! Ozzy was fried . :stars: Jim