Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Large Coil Review

Hi Guys,

XP posted up my review of the Large coil at the following link:

http://xpmetaldetectorsamericas.com/blog/testing-the-xp-deus-large-search-coil-by-marc-hirschmann/

Check it out and if you have any questions about the large coil, or any other Deus accessories, feel free to contact me anytime. HH -Marc

Marc,

Nice writeup! Quick question for you. You said in the review that you felt the larger coil's greatest advantage was in ground coverage. Does that mean not so much of an increase in depth, but by the coil being larger you just cover more area?

I'm not finding a lot of deep things with my Deus and regular coil. I was looking into the current bigger coil option or waiting to see what the upcoming 11" coil brings to the table. I was hoping for an increase in depth though. Most of what I'm finding is coming from extremely trashy sites that I'm unmasking finds from out of. Nothing has been deep in that...but the open field areas where not a lot of trash is...I don't feel like I'm going as deep as I need to be with the stock coil. In trash I can hunt circles around my buddy with his T2 and me with the Deus. But put us in an open field with deep relics...and he has me with the current setup.

Hi Daniel, there are several factors that impact your question. Depending on ground, the large coil will certainly go deeper than the stock coil. In my rather mineralized ground in Minnesota, it is maybe 2 inches deeper than my stock coil. One thing about the large coil is that the audio will carry quite a bit deeper then the visual ID will hit. You will lose visual ID of a deep target with the Deus but the audio will remain clear for several more inches from my experience. I think the Deus with the large coil is the perfect machine for open field hunting as you mentioned. I have found plenty of deep targets with my Deus, but I have to admit it took me plenty f time to get to that point. The Deus speaks its own language and it took me a while to get my thick head around what it was trying to tell me. After it clicked, I had one of those moments when you realize that you have been missing a lot of good stuff along the way.

To answer your question, the large coil is deeper and depending on the ground conditions, it can be several inches deeper. I would recommend this coil to my best friend with a clear conscience if that means anything.

Do you have a dealer/large coil owner near you near that would allow you to try it out? I stick to my opinion that the large coil is a complete necessity to any serious Deus user. I really like mine and use it almost exclusively these days. Once you take one on a few hunts, I am sure you will see the benefits of it very quickly.

I hope I answered your question and if you have any more, please feel free to contact me anytime. HH -Marc

I agree! The large coil has now become my "normal" coil. The 9" is my specialty coil when I need to detect the trashy sites like my landfill/dump site.

Depth recognition is my only weakness with the Deus. I think it's a matter of slowing way, way down and listening for the gentle sweet sounds. They are almost like whispered mouse sighs? Do I have that right?

HH Joe

Hi Joe, you have it exactly right. I think the "problem" with Deus depth that people are having is that the Deus is so fast that it makes us swing faster. By swinging faster, we are missing the "mouse sighs" which are the good deep targets. I have now trained myself to swing low and slow but I was guilty of racing along with my Deus for a long time before I realized what I was doing wrong.

The Deus' fast recovery speed does not mean we should swing it faster than any other detector, although you could if you just wanted the shallow stuff. If you want the deeper stuff, you have to slow everything down. Those deep clean whispers will start to show themselves if you slow down. It's hard to stay slow with this detector, I know that first hand as I made the mistake of going too fast for a long time, but if you are aware of your speed and take it easy, this detector is capable of getting the deep stuff.

Good luck and HH -Marc

I believe my deus to be deeper than my CTX and Etrac, in my ground, audibly. The large coil hasn't come off since it was purchased. I like to run in Basic 1, then move into Relic and move slow. I crank more depth by dropping to 4k while in Relic. I can hit a 12 inch coin all 4 directions with clear tone and partial VID in Basic 1 with reactivity slowed...Default Relic screams on this same target, where the ET has to be jacked in sens to get shaky tone, and the VID is jumpy at best.
The way I'm looking at this machine is that the deeper targets have stronger tone than the ET, and while I used the ET for a couple of years, I relied heavily on the VID, which on deeper targets was jumpy, so I contemplated and starred at the ET's screen trying to understand what I was hearing/seeing, where the Deus seems more distinct over same target.

I ramble...

Loving this XP.

Randy