Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My latest and one of my strangest finds returned to the owner

hotrod53

I have an unusual story and I’m still not sure what to think about it. This was about a month or so ago and I just now got around to post the story.

I was detecting with my brother and brother-in-law. We stopped at an old homestead and my brother in law knocked to ask for permission to detect, the owner was not home. Being the tight knit county community that this was, the neighbor quickly came over to see what was going on. Jumping forward, we started detecting the neighbor’s yard. Soon the owner of the first homesite's son came back and came over to us, he told us that it was his father’s home and he wouldn’t mind if we detected it, he said “my dad will probably talk your ear off”, little did we know how much of an understatement that was!

The son then called the father who came right home and eventually got out his inexpensive detector and detected with us! The homestead was dated 1807 and he had supposedly found a cache of Morgan dollars and found “about 1000 Indian Heads” lol. Jump ahead again, I find a gold plated ring right out front of the front door. We had been detecting about 3 hours at this point and hadn’t found a whole lot. Kind of as a joke, I took this plated ring over to the gentlemen and said “I have a souvenir for you”, I dropped it in his hand and said “here, this is for you”. This is where the story gets good, weird, strange, or I don’t know what.

Here I am thinking that I found a costume ring which was gold plated, when all of a sudden the owner tears up and says “oh my God, you found my wife’s wedding ring”! He then proceeds to tell the story that his wife, after 2 months of marriage, got into an argument with another family member right in the spot where I found the ring. She was flailing her arms around and the ring flew off! Now I am left to wonder if he just thinks that this really is her ring, or if he really did purchase a cheap gold plated ring as a wedding ring, but he is sure that this is it. My brother is looking at me surprised that I’m so willingly giving this ring up, he asks to see it and as the owner hands it to him as my brother realizes that it’s just a cheap plated ring. He gives me a look and realizes what is going on. We’re all kind of snickering to ourselves, but it just keeps going on, he is convinced that this is the ring. Now this is a backwoods area with great country folk, it really could be the ring that he is convinced that it is, at least I truly hope that it is.

A few minutes later he comes out of the house with something in his hand, a homemade knife, he had made not only the blade but the handle too. He walks over to me with misty eyes and says “one good deed deserves another, I made this knife and I want you to have it”! I’m stunned at this point, I handed over what I thought was a cheap ring, and he is all about it. I’ll bet that this guy shook my hand and thanked me 20 times that day. His wife is in a nursing home with Alzheimer's, he said that he never though that something like this would ever happen to him and would cause all of those good memories would come back. LOL, maybe many good memories but hopefully not the memory of his family fighting in the front yard and causing the ring to fly off in the first place.

We got an open invitation to come back any time, and an offer to take us to some local good spots that he knows having lived there for 65 years. I’m still not sure what to think about this, to me the ring was worthless, I’m just hoping that he is not mistaken and he really did buy this ring as a wedding ring.

There were a few other good finds by the end of the day, I found what I thought was a rough Indian head that turned out to be a flying eagle cent, a presidential election token from the 30’s, and few others goodies for the rest of the group to tell of.

That is a weird story. But glad it ended good. Nice knife too.
I have been wondering where you have been. I haven't seen you post in a while.

Thats a good story for sure, I do like the knife. Do you think it was actually the wedding ring or do you think he was mistaken?

This is a really great post. Sounds like you brought some joy to that fellows life. I bet you never forget that hunt either. Gold plated or not, I bet it was indeed his wife's wedding band.

7 centsworth, no detecting lately, lots of things going on but things are looking up. The ring and knife story was actually my last outing. I'm wanting to get out, it's that time of year here in PA.

It might just go to show that the symbolism of the ring in their marriage was more than what type of metal it's made of......That's what I would like to believe!!
The knife is really nice and makes the experience you and map had in getting to hunt this property a great story. WTG

This was definitely one of our more memorable days of detecting. As soon as Hotrod53 opened his hand, in less than two seconds the guy teared up and said "that's my wife's wedding ring". I wasn't quite sure how to take this BIG guy having a sort of breakdown right in front of us.

When the guy went in the house and came out to show me the knife that he was about to give to Hotrod53, I immediately knew that he would feel bad that this guy wanted to give him something for finding the ring, especially being that we knew that the ring was plated. The guy was fighting back tears the entire time that we talked about the ring and he put it on the end of his pinky to wear it.

I have a feeling that he was either unknowingly sold a plated ring or maybe that was the best that he could afford at the time when he purchased it. It was one of those situations that he was so taken by this ring that we all felt it was best just to leave things as they were and not try and talk him out of the fact that it may or may not have been the ring that he thought it was. If he says it was his wife ring, then so be it. His reaction was priceless and that's really all the thanks that a guy needs.

He told us that he found a $5 gold coin on his property. After a day of him showing us gun stocks, knives and other things that he made by hand I thought I would ask if we could see the gold coin. His answer to me asking gave me the feeling that the gold coin story may have been just that, a story.

I really think that our day of detecting at this guy's house was one of the best days that he's had in a really long time. We have a lot of antidotes and stories to share for many years to come. We are going to go back soon before it gets too cold out.