Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Makro racer doesnt seem to like -2 degrees of celsius

Finder82

Well i got the Makro racer pro pack and i was testing the detector outside with the stock coil. Outside temperature was -2 degrees of celsius.

The detector will work normally for a few minutes and the sensitivity is at 70. After a while the alarm will start to sound and the display says saturation. Lowering the sensitivity to 69 will stop the alarm and the saturation message.

I have tested the detector inside for a while and it works normally there. Maybe the detector or coil is extra sensitive towards freezing temperatures.:confused:

Everything seems to be working normally, if you do not go above 69 sensitivity.:confused:

After extensive testing, It seems that this machine is a fair weather detector, as a little freezing temperature will make it go nuts, if sens. goes above 69.:detecting::blowup:

Will test the small coil next and if that works, the stock coil could be faulty.

Edit: small coil works fine, it seems the stock coil is faulty.

jtalley007 said:
We need to post a question for Nokta/Makro
We need coils that function in cold weather for winter relic hunters

Yes, i would like get an official answer for the operation temperature of this detector. The small coil seems to work fine in atleast -3 C, but my stock coil dont like that temperature.

Just thinking back to the good ole days of detector drift. As temp rises, the coils heat up and you would have to adjust tuning.

Something like this could be happening. DD coils are made of two overlapping coils of wires. They have to be in a exact position, if position changes your machine won't work.
Question how are the two coils held in position? If sealed in foam, in cold there could be a chance of contraction causing mis-alignment?

Sven said:
Just thinking back to the good ole days of detector drift. As temp rises, the coils heat up and you would have to adjust tuning.

Something like this could be happening. DD coils are made of two overlapping coils of wires. They have to be in a exact position, if position changes your machine won't work.
Question how are the two coils held in position? If sealed in foam, in cold there could be a chance of contraction causing mis-alignment?

Dilek said, the coil is injection molded so it doesn't contain epoxy and the coil sounds hollow, when i tried to tap the bottom.

Small coil seems to be epoxy filled, because it feels solid and heavy for it's size.

Whatever the problem is, i dont like it one bit and thus should be fixed.:argue:

There are now two users in my forum saying, that their coils are working fine in freezing conditions...so my stock coil is faulty and in need of new stock coil.:surrender:

change in temperature definitely changes the impedance of a coil. I test copper tubes with an eddy current coil. If there is cold or hot water in the tubes I can watch my balance point change and drift across the screen until the temp of the coil stabilizes. I then have to re balance to center the signal on the screen. Did you try waiting a while for the temp of the coil to stabilize then re balance?

jcurtz1 said:
change in temperature definitely changes the impedance of a coil. I test copper tubes with an eddy current coil. If there is cold or hot water in the tubes I can watch my balance point change and drift across the screen until the temp of the coil stabilizes. I then have to re balance to center the signal on the screen. Did you try waiting a while for the temp of the coil to stabilize then re balance?

Did almost every possible test there is(tested 3 different set of batteries, let the whole detector sit in the cold for the temp to stabilize etc.) and the coil is still not working like it should as the sens in 70 will make it go nuts, so a replacement is in order.:sadwalk:

My dealer will take care of the situation and sends me a new coil, i hope this time it will be ok.:detecting:

Finder, when you got your Racer, was it part of a deal to test and review it in advance of the general release, or is it available now in your area?

TabWhisperer said:
Finder, when you got your Racer, was it part of a deal to test and review it in advance of the general release, or is it available now in your area?

I am not a tester or anything like that. I got the Makro racer pro pack in friday and the machine is already available in Europe.

Good news they are being delivered. The rest of us won't be too far off for delivery. I am hoping to see mine by the 28th.

woodchiphustler said:
Me either.:yikes:

Cold doesn't bother me at all, but it also means i cannot detect with my new detector.:puke::rage:

Finder82 said:
woodchiphustler said:

Cold doesn't bother me at all, but it also means i cannot detect with my new detector.:puke::rage:

Hello...sorry to hear that you are having an issue.
We are confident that this is a coil issue and your coil will be replaced as soon as possible.
Please contact the dealer or Makro and it will be taken care of right away.
At this point, this is a single occurrence issue which may happen with coils.
Should you have any further questions, you can also contact me at dilek@noktadetectors.com

Nokta Detectors said:
Finder82 said:
woodchiphustler said:

Hello...sorry to hear that you are having an issue.
We are confident that this is a coil issue and your coil will be replaced as soon as possible.
Please contact the dealer or Makro and it will be taken care of right away.
At this point, this is a single occurrence issue which may happen with coils.
Should you have any further questions, you can also contact me at dilek@noktadetectors.com

I have no further questions regarding my coil issue, it's all being taken care of. But i would like you to investigate what is happening to the coils, when they are exposed to about -2 degrees of celsius or more and possibly find something, that could be fixed or improved, so there would be no more issues with the coils.:please:

Bad coils are the number 1 problem with EVERY detector on the market--just read all the individual detector websites. Good luck.