Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Makro Racer Finds this week

Kevin B.

Yesterday, (3/22/15) I took the Racer to one of my Civil War relic sites. Only got to hunt a couple of hours. This place has been worked over by other detectorist over the years. But still, I managed a few finds. One pice of bad news......my first find was a Eagle cuff button in perfect shape. Like an idiot, I forgot my little plastic 'button box' in the car so I through the button in my pocket. I found a few more bullets plus a piece of an Epaulette (the piece that is sewn on the officers coat that the Epaulette slides through). It is the little brass strip with three holes in each end. Settings: 2 Tone; 85 sensitivity

Today (3/23/15) I went to an old homesite in town. The only remnants left are an old rock lined well and a bunch of buttercups blooming. I had worked this site over for an entire summer with the XP Deus......which is also an awesome unit. I'm not brand loyal. Anyway, I installed the 5 inch coil as the nails (square nails, round nails, horseshoe nails...) are EXTREMELY thick. Even with the 5 inch coil, I was still subjected to rapid-fire low tones.....with moderate sweep speed. Settings: 2 Tone; 85 Sensitivity. My two best finds where the 58 cal three ringer (Minie Ball......which is NOT really a ball, but a bullet) and an old, ornate clock winding key. Also, a piece of an old oil lantern. The 5 inch coil, using my settings, was quite deep. The Clock key was at least 7 inches into the dirt and this is strictly a GUESS. I am now a full believer in the 5 inch's coil's ability to see between the ferrous. So far, the Racer is suiting all of my needs just fine.

I don't know how my first paragraph became underlined. If I hit a wrong button, I apologize. Happy Detecting to all!!!!! kevin

Nice Finds Kevin...Guess it wouldn't have done any good to buy up all the Batteries anyway, Monte said they will last 30 hrs. Go figure.

Kevin B. said:
Yesterday, (3/22/15) I took the Racer to one of my Civil War relic sites. Only got to hunt a couple of hours. This place has been worked over by other detectorist over the years. But still, I managed a few finds.
My all-timer favorite single old site is a ghost town I have hunted since May of '69. It was a primary stage junction, shipping, and business point and had a lot of activity. It has been one of the trashiest sites I have ever worked in fifty plus years now of detecting, and it has been worked by individuals, small groups, club outings, etc. I have always been very selective of the detectors and coils I choose to hunt the dense trash with ample iron, and I worked it two different days on my trips earlier this month with the Racer and small coil with impressisve results.

Kevin B. said:
One pice of bad news......my first find was a Eagle cuff button in perfect shape. Like an idiot, I forgot my little plastic 'button box' in the car so I through the button in my pocket. I found a few more bullets plus a piece of an Epaulette (the piece that is sewn on the officers coat that the Epaulette slides through). It is the little brass strip with three holes in each end.
So, what was the 'bad?' Just forgetting your holder or did the button get damaged or lost?

Kevin B. said:
Settings: 2 Tone; 85 sensitivity.
How about the ID Filter setting? I run the same '85' Gain a lot in both 2 and 3 Tone modes, depending upon how dense the trash is, and I prefer 2-Tone audio in more open areas and an ID Filter left at the default '10' with the standard 7X11 DD coil. In the trashier areas, and I mean really challenging, I often use 3-Tone, with an ID Filter of '23' to knock out nails and some iron, and in any trashier site I am using only the small 4.[size=small]7[/size]X5.[size=small]2[/size] DD coil.

Kevin B. said:
Today (3/23/15) I went to an old homesite in town. The only remnants left are an old rock lined well and a bunch of buttercups blooming. I had worked this site over for an entire summer with the XP Deus......which is also an awesome unit. I'm not brand loyal.
I'm not brand loyal either, but all others are a step down in my selections from the FORS CoRe and Racer now. I enjoy old home sites and wish I could have joined you there.

Kevin B. said:
Anyway, I installed the 5 inch coil as the nails (square nails, round nails, horseshoe nails...) are EXTREMELY thick. Even with the 5 inch coil, I was still subjected to rapid-fire low tones.....with moderate sweep speed.
Yes, it can get noisy in such places, but the Racer with that small coil is deadly. My favorite detector & coil combination for such places.

Kevin B. said:
Settings: 2 Tone; 85 Sensitivity.
Still wondering if you changed the ID Filter from the default setting.

Kevin B. said:
My two best finds where the 58 cal three ringer (Minie Ball......which is NOT really a ball, but a bullet) and an old, ornate clock winding key. Also, a piece of an old oil lantern.
Good finds.

Kevin B. said:
The 5 inch coil, using my settings, was quite deep. The Clock key was at least 7 inches into the dirt and this is strictly a GUESS. I am now a full believer in the 5 inch's coil's ability to see between the ferrous.
That coil, on either my Nokta or Makro, is simply amazing with the performance in dense target areas, plus the attainable detection depth when there's no interference.

Kevin B. said:
So far, the Racer is suiting all of my needs just fine.
Yep, I agree, and it is my #1 grab-and-hunt detector in all my travels. Matter of fact, I think I will brave our gusty winds and see if I can find a place to go hunt now. :)

Best of continued success to you.

Monte

"Hey Guys,

Don't be fearful of backing off the SENS...the Racer small coil is VERY GOOD.

Sunday my finds were from 4" to 10" with SENS from 65 - 90"

Back off the sensitivity and you WILL hear more good hits instead of {blips n clicks} from rusted iron and coke that have become so brittle that they now form part of the {soil matrix}

Good Hunting

Des D

which is something I have mentioned several times in reviews of both the Nokta FORS CoRe and Makro Racer. I actually don't get above '95 that often, usually going as high as about ±'85' on both models, but I also work it down lower in dense trash or when working close to metal pipes, etc.

Using either model from about '50' to '85' is going to be ample for most people in most typical day-to-day Coin Hunting applications. More experienced or 'Avid Detectorists' will better appreciate how low or how high they can adjust the Gain on these versatile detector models. :thumbup:

Monte

Monte, my Disc setting was at 10 (if that is default mode). The only thing that I do when I pull my Racer from the trunk is turn on, ground balance, set the sens to 85 (a number that I just decided on for no particular reason.
The "bad" part was that I put a perfectly good cuff button in my pocket (I left my little button box at the car......which was bad, too) and then, a few bullets and the bullets must have caused the button's front to disintegrate. I emptied my pocket on the countertop when I got home and there was the ususal red dirt, with little green shards.....so small that they were almost like a grain of black pepper. But green.
And yes, Monte, I wish that you could have joined me too. This is a hobby that lends itself well to having a companion detectorist.
I appreciate your replies and I also appreciate all of the other replies. I hope that one of our lnumber finds some gold this week or weekend!!!!!!! Or silver. Or, whatever you are searching for. Me? Coins. Relics (Civil War and/or old Homeplace relics). Clock keys. Ford model T keys. I am not really big on clad coins anymore, but when I first started detecting with my ACE250......just to hear that DING DING DING got my heart to racing. A simple zinc penny would make me as happy as a Minie Ball does now. Ya know......sometimes I long for those simpler times........when finding a pocketful of clad was thoroughly rewarding. Please.....don't any of you clad coin hunters take me wrong. I haven't become uppity. It just takes a bit more to get me stirred up now. But a good ol wheat penny still causes the ol ticker to flutter. Listen to me......I'm rambling on as if I'm the only person in the world. Happy Detection forum friends!!!!!!!!! Let's keep those coils swinging!!!!!

I hope some have retained the thrill . Detecting for just detecting, " is a great pass time" .

I lost that thrill somewhere..and hope to get it back ..

I'll just pitch this 'out there'. This is about as good a detector as I have used. Even with the 11 inch coil, it seperates ferrous from non-ferrous pretty darn good. What I reall like (since I am a tad absent-minded) is the simplicty of this unit. To me, this is an invaluable asset. I am a happy Racer owner.