Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Minelab Blows the Vision Away for Depth

"My sense, based on observation of reported results, is that in most ground conditions, the e-trac will outperform the Vision
in terms of depth and trash seperation."

You must be kidding? What tests or reports have you observed that would lead you to that conclusion?

I find it hard to judge if one performs better than the other untill a few of us owning and becoming proficient with both machines in question and then doing infield tests and side by side comparisons on inground targets in different localities.
I believe I have a good grasp of the abilities of the E-Trac after several hundred hours of use but know without a doubt it will take at least 100 plus hours on the Vision to even start to get a grasp of what it is capable of.And then we need to realize that some are hunting the beaches while others are hunting turf for old deep coins while yet others will be mostly relic hunting and some may be doing some or all of the above not to mention prospecting and other pursuits.
And as I posted when I first got one of the first E-Tracs and we had the same things going on on that new forum,The only 100% sure way to know if a machine is better than your old one or will suit you is to buy one and hit the field for a good number of hours.The more advanced and the higher the tech the machine the more hours required.Any other observations on performance are just speculation at best.
Just my 2 cents worth,Ray.

Thanks for the kind words, but I am not the "chief engineer," I'm just the engineering manager. :) I consider other folks here to be our chief engineers, and they are quite good. Keep in mind that some of the most successful detector designs came from non-hunters. George Payne, Dave Johnson, Eric Foster, Bruce Candy, and Mark Rowan come to mind.

- Carl

I'm a bit confused. Why are we discussing a PI to a VLF machine?

My old Surfmaster Pro will blow any VLF detector away if depth is the only measure. So what?

Apples verses oranges to me.

John,

We are talking about the Vision. Steve's original post was intended to emphasise that - as you pointed out - depth isn't everything. It seems typical of some folks that they will seize on one feature in comparing competing tech products and everything else seems to get forgotten. The "how deep IS it ?" crowd seems to fall into this category. Some of the deepest seeking VLF detectors had real problems with deep iron and therefore proved unsatisfactory in the long run. I believe the Fisher 1265 and 1266 were examples of this.

I don't know about you, but I quickly get frustrated after about the third 12" hole I dig in hard ground only to find my third piece of iron.

The "wall" for VLF's seems to be discrimination depth and ability to discriminate in the presence of iron. My own hopes for the Vision are based on the multiple possibilities to view or hear the data available in the returned signal from the target. Specific goals are detection of silver below or next to iron, correctly id'ing deep ferrous targets so that I can confidently pass them by and detecting tiny "microjewelry" including earrings, pendants and small chains.

A detector that can do these things and not generate loads of spurious noise will be a huge breakthrough. That's what I will be working for with the Vision - Hope I can get there!

Hi,

Don't have a Nautilus and don't have to. There is not a VLF unit made that will match a Minelab SD/GP/GPX ground balancing pulse induction detector for sheer depth. The post was tongue in cheek however, because you get no discrimination either with those units. The Naughty will easily get better depth with target id than the units I've mentioned.

I was trying to illustrate that sheer depth is not all that matters. Most people want a combination of depth and accurate discrimination.

Steve Herschbach

Hi,

I don't know. But give me accurate discrimination on a high power PI unit, I'd pay $10,000.00 for it, and quit my day job to go use it.

Steve Herschbach

steve herschbach said:
Hi,

I don't know. But give me accurate discrimination on a high power PI unit, I'd pay $10,000.00 for it, and quit my day job to go use it.

Steve Herschbach

You and me both, Steve.

If some one will make a high power PI unit with accurate discrimination that is water proof for hunting in the ocean. I will buy it even if it cost more then $10,000.00. So tired of digging iron targets will looking for gold and platinum rings.

Maybe White's will be collaborating with another Brit......Carl's neighbor.:lol: When Carl moves he can just pack the PD in the back of the U-Haul and save on shipping.:rofl:

And no White's doesn't have to send me any money for this great idea, I know times are hard.:angel:

HH
BarnacleBill

Oh my!
Detector wars!
The wireless headphone police mentions the FCC and think Whites just fell of the turnip truck.
Pulse Devil? Will it have VFLEX?
I would think if VFLEX was soooo innovative, that it would be standard equipment on every new ML model!
I almost wet myself laughing as ML chases their tail,..... headphone police! HA!

Way to go White's! Make that dog do tricks!
SJ

My Nexus Standard with twin 9" coils gets the job done.

Hi Steve
Totaly agree on this, see this http://neveryetmelted.com/2008/11/14/celtic-coin-horde-found-near-maastricht/
After the archaeologist went home after finishing the excavation, we went to the place with a 4500 and found 2 more, 1 gold and 1 silver in a dept I never ever saw before 40 cm +
I now have a 4000 with 4 coils for, wenever something like this showsoff again.
Regarts from Holland
Gerrit

Hi Gerrit,

Now that's what I'm talking about! Fabulous find indeed. There are some things I'll dig junk for a week just for the chance at making a decent find. It is times like that where sheer depth is all that matters, even if it means digging pounds of junk.

Thanks for sharing.

Steve Herschbach

Hi Steve
The end off june the corn will go off the field, will be there for a week digging iron all day, butt I deffinedly now
the last coin will get out off there.
Regarts
Gerrit