Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Minelab mind is just having a hard time with the Deus LOL

Jack Flynn

Good lawd! Minelab imbedded in my brain isn't letting the Deus in............................been trying for over a month now. Help! LOL

The tones are different, it just takes practice. I am beginning to recognize the good tones after 12-15 hours of hunting.

You will like it once you get used to it and then the Minelab feels REALLY heavy the next time you pick it up.

HH

I am also curious hat exactly your having trouble with. Maybe we can help if you let us know whats up. I have to agree with you somewhat. I came to the Deus after 8 years of owning nothing but minelabs so it took me some time to get used to a new platform. It.s like getting a PC after always having owned a Mac computer. If you put in the time, I am sure it will click. How many hours have you used the Deus now? Hopefully we can help you if you give us some more information. -Marc

Ya can't ask for better helpers than there are here..
State your problem and get your answer.
Just that simple.
Most everyone has had the same problems learning, so look back in the posts.
If you don't see it answered... Ask away.
Good luck to ya.
I'm still learning, so I probably won't be of much help, but the rest of the guys here will...

HH

My biggest problem is I hunt by ear and really hate to watch a TID. There's just not enought discerning audio like I'm used to, to say dig or not. Maybe it will click with me soon or I can work a trade for a 3030 to someone who is confused by it! LOL............. ML's do seem to have what every other brands don't. Different to say the least.
I really think this could be and probably is the best relic hunting machine made. I'm not a relic hunter.

Hi Jack, I agree that the audio on the Deus is not the same as in a Minelab, however, go take out a Garrett, Tesoro or any other brand and you will have the same "problem." Changing from one platform to another is not easy. It takes time, patience and dedication. This is why there are some old-timers who find all the goods with 20+ year old machines while new guys with top of the line detectors struggle to find anything. Knowing your equipment is MUCH more important that what equipment you have. I assure you that one month of using the Deus is not nearly enough time to know how to use it. Same goes for the 3030, as you mentioned it. I also own a 3030 and I do better with it each time I go out, but I have owned it since the first day that the 3030 came out and I assure you, I didn't have too many positive thoughts about the 3030 when I first started using it, but I do now.

The Deus does not have as many tones as the Minelabs (which is what I think your having trouble with), however, with the Deus, its not about the pitch of the tone nearly as much as it is about the shape and texture of the tone (which other manufacturers don't have nearly enough of). I can tell you a lot about a target when I hear the shape/texture of the tone, but its something I had to learn.

I stick to it when I say that the Deus is a fantastic machine. There are places where my Deus kills my 3030 and vice a versa. There is no one tool for every job when it comes to detecting. I also do almost zero relic hunting so I can't comment on your opinion. I hunt coins and jewelry and the Deus has proven to be fantastic at exactly that. My Deus is better on jewelry than my 3030 any day, and I mean any day.

It takes a lot of time to be successful with a new detector. If your not willing to put in the time, I agree, you should sell it and go for something you are used to because it's useless to try to be successful with a detector that you don't understand.

I hope my reply doesn't sound negative as I don't mean it to but I am being honest when I say that if your not willing to learn something new, I recommend staying with what you know.

I hope your figure it out, one way or another. -Marc

Marc,

How much difficulty do you think I'll have when I switch to the Deus from my AT-Pro? I'm pretty used to running no discrim on it, so I hear iron grunts, medium tone and high tones. Dunno if you've ever used the AT-Pro but it's certainly nothing like Minelab's tone. I mainly hunt parks/beaches and the ones around here have alot of nails/iron. One reason I've been happy with the AT-Pro, but the Deus I think will be far better at iron separation and recovery. Also I've never found a coin deeper than 9" here, too many rocks in the soil the deeper you dig.

TheGeorgiaCanuck said:
Marc,

How much difficulty do you think I'll have when I switch to the Deus from my AT-Pro? I'm pretty used to running no discrim on it, so I hear iron grunts, medium tone and high tones. Dunno if you've ever used the AT-Pro but it's certainly nothing like Minelab's tone. I mainly hunt parks/beaches and the ones around here have alot of nails/iron. One reason I've been happy with the AT-Pro, but the Deus I think will be far better at iron separation and recovery. Also I've never found a coin deeper than 9" here, too many rocks in the soil the deeper you dig.
I'd say not much, both are beep and dig machines with no feedback like I'm used to. That is my issue I'm having. I'll get over it I'm sure.............

Hi TGC,

I think you would have an easier time coming from an AT-Pro than from a Minelab. The tones of an ATP are similar to the Deus in that you get the low, medium and high tones. Do you have any dealers near you where you could try out the Deus? I think the transition from an AT-Pro to the Deus would be quite an easy one. I would recommend getting a Deus in your hands and giving it a try. The Deus will sniff the good stuff out of iron up to the 9" range no problem. I don't know of a better detector to play with in iron, period.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I hope I helped somewhat. -Marc

MHirschmann said:
Hi TGC,

I think you would have an easier time coming from an AT-Pro than from a Minelab. The tones of an ATP are similar to the Deus in that you get the low, medium and high tones. Do you have any dealers near you where you could try out the Deus? I think the transition from an AT-Pro to the Deus would be quite an easy one. I would recommend getting a Deus in your hands and giving it a try. The Deus will sniff the good stuff out of iron up to the 9" range no problem. I don't know of a better detector to play with in iron, period.

Let me know if you have any further questions and I hope I helped somewhat. -Marc

Closest dealer is a 6hr drive into the Eastern mountains of BC, so not much chance of that. I have local Garrett, Whites and Minelab dealers, but not XP.

I had a hard time at first because of the short tones the Deus gives. This is because of its speed. Put your discrimination at 6.8, reactivity 3. Use 3 tones and lay some targets on the ground about an inch apart and swing your coil over them slowly, you will hear a short tone for each target. Then start swinging a little faster and faster you will hear the same tones except they will be even shorter. Put some nails, coins and whatever else you want to hear in the lineup and you will get a feel for the Deus tones as it passes over the targets. Practice in a clean park to get a good feel of the detector. Hope this helps

Anyone here in Canada? I'm wondering what modern Canadian Clad sounds like?? Is it clean sharp tones? Or fuzzy? And can you learn them?