Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My misfortune today

A

Anonymous

Today, Downtown Charleston this guy tells me I can come and hunt in his property. SO, I agree and he is standing over me like a hawk. They had just dug up 8 graves in his yard from the previous house. I was excited about hunting there but was not so pleased with him over my shoulder. I got a signal and we agreed to split everything 50/50 well, wouldnt you know it I get this signal that was pretty good in the gold range but it was the size of a coin. I found the coin, it was gold........25 on the front and two palmetto trees on the back. Im not sure if it was a real gold coin or not, it was dated 1844 South Carolina on the back with the palmetto trees and the number 25 on the front. The ground was already dug down to about 2.5 feet and this coin or whatever it was, was another 6-8 inches down. He took the item and told me he would get with his antique dealer and give me a call, funny thing he never asked for my phone number. I do not know if i was a real gold 25 dollar gold piece, but I have heard of the coins that were minted in that time frame by private mints. Any ideas, Im guess I got took to the cleaners. I will be at his door tomorrow and ask him about our agreement and will have my tin snips in hand, and remind him 50/50. Somebody give me some news??? I know I got screwed.

Hey Ronnie,If that's a coin it's probably rare as hens teeth.It would be very valuable.I would park on his steps in the morning.Did you find anything else?

Bring your digital camera with you when you go detecting to keep up your finds.

no coins but lots of old house stuff, like mail slots for doors, and a bronze, or brass tree for a door knock or something. I dont think that guy will part with that coin or token or what ever it was. I know he agreed 50/50 but greed has a funny way of affecting people. The coin's back had the The Words South Carolina and two Plametto trees and just the 25 on the front, he snatched it out of my had and that was it, It was on his property and rightfully so it is his, I just found it verbal contracts will not hold up in court especially with me being on his property with a metal detector. He could say anything he wanted to say. He could say he caught me in the act of tresspassing even. No witnessess his word against mine. I have heard of private mints but was not aware of SC having one? Does this make sense? I do know SC and NC had a Deal with some Mormans? and they agreed to mint coins due to the long process of getting gold and silver to Ye Old Mint. I am more interested in finding out if this coin really exist is there a record of a S.C 25 dollar gold piece. It looked good very professional, but not like todays standards but considering the year. Which brings me to anther question. Wasnt that time frame 1840's-1850's when all those private mints were poping up? Thanks Ronnie

I had my camera and he would not let me take a picture (s) he wanted to run in the house and show his wife then would not come back to the door. I guess I made someones day. LOL I am happy I found it, if infact its real gold, judging by the weight, the size and the markings it looked like a coin. I will go back to his house tomorrow and confront him just to see what his reaction will be.

If it's a coin it would be very valuable.It would be a local mint.How big was it?I had a buddy that found a crock full of old coins and was supposed to get half of the coins but the property owner ,an old lady,her son came driving up and gave my buddy only a handful of coins.Bummer.I hate it when the property owner follows you around.

Some one informed me that it sounded like a 2.50 piece not 25.00. And there were some minted for SC. Man, what luck. The size was a bit bigger than a quarter

I wont ever do that again, I will not go around with someone over my shoulder like a vulture with that greed in their eye to rip you off. Its their property let them find it, or let it not be found, I wont do it again. I respect property owners and realize anything on that property is theirs, and if they are so courious as to what is down there let them break their backs and dig it up.

I don't remember a mint in South Carolina.There was an early one in Rutherfordton NC called Bechtlers mint,one in Dahlonega Ga. and the one in Charlotte NC.That's why I say it would be very rare.Maybe worth hundreds of thousands.Be sure to look at those pieces of brass.May be a slave tag.I have a buddy who has found several.He got 8 grand for one of them.

Slave tags I have found, this thing was like a coin or token. It was heavy and the size of around a quarter and the Palmetto trees. Maybe it is maybe it wasnt, the real fun was finding it and I just wish I had time to have talked about it and just hold it ya know? Thats the fun of detecting ya know?

You know slave tags can be vauable,especially if they say Charleston neck or one of the rare trades.

Since you live in Charleston and the real chance exists of finding a thing of both historical and monetary value, it will behoove you in the future to have a WRITTEN agreement. I get this in real estate all the time, of course. A contract is a must before even the first step is taken. A contract protects both parties, lends an air of legitimacy to your activities and did I mention protects both parties?
You arent likely to see that coin again. Nor get a straight answer nor anything else of value. Camping on his doorstep will likely get you a visit from the local cops(however, you oughta do it at least for a few days. Hmmmmm, maybe the cops will actually be of some use. Some times they actually listen,...).
A written agreement is harder to get, sure, unless the owner can be made to see you are a pro and whatever MIGHT be there is gonna stay there unless you go to work to find it. Without it you got doodly. Dammit! I know you are fuming! Man, I am so sorry.