Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My new eye spy find

dobbie

I found this watch just kinda sitting thee. It is interesting because I took it in to well known Jeweler in the mall where they sell this brand, and he couldnt tell me if it was a fake or not. All he could tell me is that it was old. You be the judge. Either way I got me a new watch.

I can't make out the serial number to check it, but I am sure that there must be a data base of Rolex SN's out there. Here, let me google that for you. Click the link to learn about your watch:

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=rolex+serial+numbers

Nice watch,
Jimmy James

I was told by a Rolex expert that the serial number is located between the watchband arms of the frame.

Also note that the second hand movement should be a constant solid movement instead of in increments, the fake ones can't quite accomplish that :)

Nice find either way ... just enjoy your watch and if you find out it's the real deal .. even mo better.

Mike

PS ... I found a real Submariner model under the fishing pier in Pensacola a few years ago and traced the owner to New York, he cursed me out on the phone and said he didn't want to hear about any Rolex because his insurance company paid him way more for it than it was worth to him.
I kept it awhile and SOLD it.

It must be real or he might not be a jeweler. You would think he would have seen a few fakes by now.

Nice find.

I found a nice watch a few years ago, no as nice a a Rolex but it works. I found it in 120 ft of water. It was just sitting there.

Nice find either way.

Nice find dobbie. I bet it's real. Can't wait to hear. Good luck. :thumbup:

If I am reading the number from the picture correctly, that watch would be old, like 50 years old. Hopefully you have a good watch there.

I beileve it to be a fake. I am no expert on such things my any means. but my gut says fake...Its missing the serial number when you take off the band. But Its a dang good fake...Wish it were real I would be huntin with a minelab come spring if it were. lol

Now this is the system as I understand it and by no means does it mean it is without fault. In 1927, Rolex began issuing every Rolex Oyster case a unique serial number to distinguish one from the next. This numbering system is believed to have started at 20,000. Around 1953, the numbers reached the 999,999 mark, at which time Rolex decided against adding a 7th digit, thus continuing into the "millions". Instead, they started the sequence over. While it was originally believed that this resequence started over at 100,000 or even 200,000 evidence suggests that it actually restarted at 10,000 or possibly lower.

Around this same time, Rolex had initiated another dating system. They stamped the inside of the case back with a code consisting of a Roman numeral and two numbers. The Roman numerals were I, II, III, IV, which represented which quarter of the year the watch was produced. The numbers simply represented the two-digit year in which the watch was produced. Therefore, the code III 53 would represent the 3rd quarter (i.e. July-September) of 1953--this code continued until around 1970.

In the early 1960s, Rolex once again reached the 999,999 mark, but this time added a 7th digit and continued until mid 1987, when the numbering reached 9,999,999. At this time, Rolex elected to start numbering with a letter prefix (e.g. R000001).

The system started with the letter "R", whcih was then subsequently followed by L-E-X. Thus spelling out the word "ROLEX" with the "O" being omitted, to help avert any possible confusion with the number "0". This sequence continued through November 1991, when a new numbering system was introduced utilizing the letters N, C and S, which took them through 1993. In 1994, Rolex started yet another sequence with the letters: W, T and U, then A, P, and K in subsequent years.

To add to the confusion, many of these prefixes have run concurrently over the past few years, giving the appearance of a random numbering system. Therefore, only Rolex knows exactly when any particular watch was made and they aren't talking.
I do not know that this will be of use to you, but let's hope it's the real deal.

Oh and the glass bubble or 'cyclops' attached to the crystal, positioned over the date. Its purpose is to magnify the tiny aperture and does so at 2.5 times magnification. The date window should practically "fill up" the cyclops--the fakes don't even come close. It is worth mentioning that some counterfeits are now featuring a new larger font date wheel to give the "illusion" of being magnified at a full 2.5 times. Anyway I am way past rambling.
Happy Hunting,
Doug in OR

cant see it in the pic though, The band looks like this. Steelinox then the rolex design then on the other side of the design it says swiss made with an A. under that is the numbers. I cant take the back off because it screws on and i dont have the tools to loosen it. It is an automatic and the dial on the side screws out. either way i cant wear it because the band is too small and I just cant find one that will work. You can see in the close up of the face where the band connects. They just dont make them like that anymore i guess.