Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My new toy arrived

Mud, I have one very similar made by Octopump. I paid somewhere around 1400 with 2 54 foot hoses. I bought an extra hose and my family has loved it. We haven't bought a pair of sunglasses in over 5 years-:). Sold quite a few junked iPhones on ebay as well. Got more anchors than I know folks with boats too. I could go on... A pure joy to own.

dobbratacus said:
Mud, I have one very similar made by Octopump. I paid somewhere around 1400 with 2 54 foot hoses. I bought an extra hose and my family has loved it. We haven't bought a pair of sunglasses in over 5 years-:). Sold quite a few junked iPhones on ebay as well. Got more anchors than I know folks with boats too. I could go on... A pure joy to own.

And the real stuff ???

robinb said:
dobbratacus said:

And the real stuff ???

:rofl:

I have always wanted to try one of those systems. I have some real promising spots for them...

Excellent question. I've detected with it but, to me personally, it's a major evolution to detect and dive at the same time. If I had places where I thought there was a good concentration of rings in water over my head I guess I would use it more to detect, but I don't have any places like that. The lakes I hunt are dam controlled so I just wait for the water to go down to hunt previously deeper areas. Anyway, I would rather detect with my head out of the water. When I use the hookah it is more for visual recoveries and enjoying the diving part. I did find a gold chain by sight but that was pure fortune. I was gathering sunglasses and swam right over the chain sitting on hard clay. I also have a Tommy Bahamas watch I saw sitting on the bottom. I've found several wallets and everyone of them was cleaned out except for some faded pictures. I can see it working well if you had a hot spot like a rope swing in deep water or for diving in a particular spot. Word of caution, it's real nice to have someone topside at all times just to look out for the morons. I never hookah on weekends either. I can't tell you the number of times I've had boats motor up to my float and dive flag just to see what's going on. Absolute idiots. Whenever I surface, I always pull the float to me and then ascend straight up the hose until I can grab the float. You can hear a boat motor above but telling the distance and direction is something I am not able to do. It's a fun tool that has its purpose, I've heard of scuba guys doing really well but that's just not my cup of tea. Just my two cents. Sorry I ramble.

Hows it handle rough water? Looks like it might get swamped? How would the metal and parts handle salt water? Next question...... do you use some sort of a weight to keep it in place? Anddddd...... how long does it run on a tank of gas? Something like that wouild be perfect for looking for large sharks teeths in my area.

Dew

It is amazingly buoyant. If you're worried about it in rough water just tie it down on the bow of your boat. It stays in place by the hose that is attached to your belt. You don't even feel the float above you, it moves when you move. They make a high dollar spray to put on it to guard against corrosion. It'll easily last 2 plus hours on a single tank with one diver, longer than anyone I know is willing to stay under.

Nice toy! How do they ensure that the engine exhaust stays away from the breathing air intake? I don't see any separation in the picture.

As far as the fumes here is your answer. The vertical snorkel draws air 30 inches above the compressor. Exhaust is shot away horizontally on the opposite side. The way the unit floats, the exhaust will always seek the down wind position. Much safer then the Evenruide Auqanaut I used from the time I was 10 years old to about 12 years ago. Logged 100's of house on that machine.