Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My New X-Terra has arrived!

cal

I got my new x-terra 705 today and got it put together. This is a nice machine,it is light and well balanced. This is the first x-terra machine I have ever actually held. I have always been interested in the 505, but decided I would like the extras on the 705. Anyway on to the learning curve and hopefully some success. I do believe I may add a DD coil down the line, but for now I will use the stock 9 inch CC.HH

Congratulations you have yourself a good machine. I'm looking forward to your post of your finds.

Cal,
If you have a smart phone, download the manual to it. It comes in so handy in the field. Also be sure to read Randy's book.
GL and HH
Happy New Year!!

Thanks Bill for the information on the manual downloaded on the phone.I have read some of Randy's book and it gives some great pointers. I hope to spend

more time with the first of the week, I think this machine is going to be a hoot to learn and use. Thanks to all and Happy Hunting.

I've been doing this since the early 70's. I don't remember the names of all the detectors I've had or used.
I used Tesoros for 29 of those years and a couple of years ago got myself a 705. The joy of the hunt returned when I got out with it. I'd love to try a couple of other detectors but they're still Minelabs. I don't think you can hardly beat the xterra series for ease of use and what they'll do for you.
Good choice.

Definitely get the 10.5" DD 7.5 kHz coil. I am on my 5th X-terra. I have tried other machines but keep coming back to the X-terra. I now have an X70 with the 10.5" 7.5 kHz DD and 9" 3kHz coils. You don't need to swing fast with an X-terra so take your time with it. Congrats and Happy Hunting!:detecting:

Yes,I can see that the 10.5 DD is probably the way to go with all the positive reviews and comments. I really thought my soil was moderate to low minerals, but after reading Randy's book, I can see my soil I hunt will be in the 50's normally., This puts it in over the 28 mark which he uses as to change to a DD coil. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

cal said:
Yes,I can see that the 10.5 DD is probably the way to go with all the positive reviews and comments. I really thought my soil was moderate to low minerals, but after reading Randy's book, I can see my soil I hunt will be in the 50's normally., This puts it in over the 28 mark which he uses as to change to a DD coil. Thanks for all your help and suggestions.
You need to re-read Randy's book. :lol: With an Xterra the higher the number the lower the mineral level. If your numbers were BELOW 28 a DD would be advantageous in achieving max depth.
It's kind of like how they size fish hooks. The smaller the number the bigger the hook.

Thanks for the heads up Old Longhair, this is a big help. I will stay with the CC then,as my numbers are generally in the 50's. I'm hoping to spend more time Monday and Tuesday. Thanks again. Cal

Depending on trash levels where you'll hunt a DD may still have an advantage in terms of separation, but your numbers indicate that you won't get the depth that you will with a CC.

GL&HH Cal! Let us know what you find.

I'll add too , mine lab does some quirky things with their detector s LIKE the ground ballance on the 705
Is opposite of most gb detectors The manual + g.b is less the - is more.