Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Old F5 Is Back

RLOH

I recently bought my old F5 from the fellow I sold it to a couple of years back. It came with the stock coil which is just OK in my bad ground. Thanks to a forum member, I just got the 11 inch dd coil. This coil works great and today's short hunt verified just how good this combo is. I use three tones and good headphones(gray ghost platinums). The audio is unlike any other detector I have used. Crisp, clean, modulated tones. I don't even need the pinpoint button because of how quick and clean the tones are. This detector makes metal detecting fun and unlike some other detectors I have used, having success and fun is what it is all about.

Congrats on getting your F5 back. Many years back I owned and then sold off my F5. Over the years I really missed that detector so when I heard of the huge price drop on them I jumped and bought one. I have been really enjoying using it again. In the last two weeks I have found 5 rings and a gold chain not to mention a bunch of clad coins.. You are very right about the tones and modulation. When you through in one of the best user interfaces going it makes for a very nice fun package.

So the 11" DD works good on this thing if you match it up...good to know.
I tried mounting an F70/F75 frequency coil on mine, results were not great but being mismatched I wasn't expecting a lot.
My Sharpshooter is doing the job but maybe one day I will consider this one.

ROLH and liondogs, it's good to hear you both put an F5 back in your detector outfit. :thumbup: I had considered buying one about 10½-11 years ago, but had an abundance of detectors in-hand at the time, and the bulk of the detecting I did was Relic Hunting old sites with a lot of very dense ferrous and non-ferrous debris. I had a few units & coils better suited for that. But I was Coin & Jewelry Hunting quite a bit when I couldn't get away from work and I had several people contact me about thew Teknetics Omega 8000. I hadn't handled one... yet .. so I bought the Omega 8000 Pro Pack and it hung around in my Coin & Jewelry use models for quite a while. I handled a couple of F5's people brought to a seminar, but it was group environment so I simply helped them and didn't use it to learn it.

Besides, I am one of those who isn't thrilled with the 7X11'ish search coils from any manufacturer and that's what the F5 used to com with. Then I started shopping for worthy detectors that sell for $550 and less to do a multi-model evaluation review on my AHRPS General Forum, and caught wind of the 'special' F5 package for under $300 that has the 5½X9¾ Concentric coil standard. I used to use that coil a bit, but I also have a 5" DD an a 7" Concentric in my Accessory Coil Tote on spare lower rods, and the 7" Concentric is one that has impressed me the last couple of years on an F44 and Omega 8000.

I bought the F5 and with what I already had plus the models I purchased, I did an evaluation on 10 currently available detectors. That $$$$ came out of my pocket and I need to try and recover as much as I can, but one detector that is NOT being sold is the excellent F5. I am keeping the 7" Concentric mounted full-time, but have the elliptical Concentric and round 5" DD at-the-ready should I feel the need for them. I doubt that I will, and REVIER is having very good success, but I think all of us will do well if we use a 'proper' search coil that is made specially for the F5. You have to get lucky to try and match-up an improper coil but find it kind of works.

All the best to any Fisher F5 owner / operators ... we all have a splendid and multi-purpose detector at our reach. Now, just need to hope for better weather on Wednesday & Thursday to get out and use it.

Monte

I have the 11” DD and a 5” for the F5. If the F75 is not the right machine with its 11”DD then I will jump to the F5 with 5” mounted. This is how I recovered the Sleeping Beauty turquoise in 950 silver and another 925 ring. The lower frequency of the F5 just nails the silver and when its up close against a fence or other larger metal interference the smaller coil allows closer in movement.

ROLH and liondogs, it's good to hear you both put an F5 back in your detector outfit. :thumbup: I had considered buying one about 10½-11 years ago, but had an abundance of detectors in-hand at the time, and the bulk of the detecting I did was Relic Hunting old sites with a lot of very dense ferrous and non-ferrous debris. I had a few units & coils better suited for that. But I was Coin & Jewelry Hunting quite a bit when I couldn't get away from work and I had several people contact me about thew Teknetics Omega 8000. I hadn't handled one... yet .. so I bought the Omega 8000 Pro Pack and it hung around in my Coin & Jewelry use models for quite a while. I handled a couple of F5's people brought to a seminar, but it was group environment so I simply helped them and didn't use it to learn it.

Besides, I am one of those who isn't thrilled with the 7X11'ish search coils from any manufacturer and that's what the F5 used to com with. Then I started shopping for worthy detectors that sell for $550 and less to do a multi-model evaluation review on my AHRPS General Forum, and caught wind of the 'special' F5 package for under $300 that has the 5½X9¾ Concentric coil standard. I used to use that coil a bit, but I also have a 5" DD an a 7" Concentric in my Accessory Coil Tote on spare lower rods, and the 7" Concentric is one that has impressed me the last couple of years on an F44 and Omega 8000.

I bought the F5 and with what I already had plus the models I purchased, I did an evaluation on 10 currently available detectors. That $$$$ came out of my pocket and I need to try and recover as much as I can, but one detector that is NOT being sold is the excellent F5. I am keeping the 7" Concentric mounted full-time, but have the elliptical Concentric and round 5" DD at-the-ready should I feel the need for them. I doubt that I will, and REVIER is having very good success, but I think all of us will do well if we use a 'proper' search coil that is made specially for the F5. You have to get lucky to try and match-up an improper coil but find it kind of works.

All the best to any Fisher F5 owner / operators ... we all have a splendid and multi-purpose detector at our reach. Now, just need to hope for better weather on Wednesday & Thursday to get out and use it.

Monte
Monte

Also nice to see you picked up a F5 also. I have followed your posts for many years and always stop and read your well thought out posts on various topics when I see one. if you like the F5 that says something.

One question the 7" concentric coil you like is that a Fisher coil or another brand coil?

Currently I have the 10 inch Concentric coil and the 4 1/2 inch "measured" round coil that came in the package along with a Mars 5 X 9 inch "measured" sniper DD coil that I bought.

I have heard that Fisher is discontinuing the F5. If true that is a shame. I would think since they long ago paid back the R and D cost to develop the F5 that selling it at this price point they could sell a lot of them and make a nice profit. The detector should not cost them much to make at this point and when you look at the sub 300 dollar market there is not much that can beat it IMHO.

Joe

Monte

Also nice to see you picked up a F5 also. I have followed your posts for many years and always stop and read your well thought out posts on various topics when I see one. if you like the F5 that says something.
There are a few things about the F5 that I really like and wish more makes and models featured. I'm going to enjoy the F5 or a lot of my Coin & Jewelry HUnting sites.

One question the 7" concentric coil you like is that a Fisher coil or another brand coil?
It is the Fisher 7" Concentric coil. The same they have on the F22 with a screw-on connector.

Currently I have the 10 inch Concentric coil and the 4 1/2 inch "measured" round coil that came in the package along with a Mars 5 X 9 inch "measured" sniper DD coil that I bought.
I have the 5½X9¾ Concentric (they call a 10" that comes on the current F5's) and 5" DD each on a spare rod in my Accessory Coil Tote should I need them, but for the bulk of my coin-producing sites the 7" Concentric is light-weight and comfortable for me and my achy old body. I have considered a 'Shooter'-size DD, like in the 5X9½ size range, but really don't need it. The 7" Concentric takes care of most needs, and if I have an urge for a 5X9½ DD I simply grab a different model so equipped.

I have heard that Fisher is discontinuing the F5. If true that is a shame. I would think since they long ago paid back the R and D cost to develop the F5 that selling it at this price point they could sell a lot of them and make a nice profit. The detector should not cost them much to make at this point and when you look at the sub 300 dollar market there is not much that can beat it IMHO.

Joe
Yes, but it is in a different phase-out than some that are simply dropped. You likely bought your F5 'package' for the $299.95 price and they acquired all the F5 inventory. However, I was also informed that they have been selling so well that FTP is going to do another complete production run of new F5's for them. Considering what's on the market today I can't s any detector out there at close to that price that provides the performance as well as control functions the F5 offers.

Monte

7.8...with 3 small adjustment choices...very similar to the Omega they say.
In my dirt it seems to work a bit better than my 10- 13.5 detectors as far as handling the hot soil and massive iron problems, more stable, anyway.
I have been cleaning out a neighbor's lawn and it has found a ton so far, brought the Nox in the other day with the sniper and it also found even more, mostly some very short, tiny iffy signals so it seems to be holding its own.
Nice to have more than one kind of machine to help me find as much as possible.
I enjoy them both...I feel lucky to own two tools so completely different and a virgin site as a laboratory to compare them.

Last edited:
Monte

Joe

At $499 it was great, at $299 with 2 coils it is a remarkable value.
I added a Nel Sharpshooter coil to mine, as decent as the other included coils are in my dirt this thing turns it into a different and even more sensitive and surprisingly much deeper total beast of a detector.

Hey guys, what is the frequency of the F 5? Same as the Omega?
All of the Omega series, the 8000's and 8500, operate at 7.69 kHz, and the F5 at 7.8 kHz as REVIER mentioned. These models, and the F22, or F44, also at 7.69 kHz should also swap around okay. can all share search coils, so if you have an Omega coil, it works on the F5. Personally, I've never liked the 11" BiAxial coil, but I do like the 10" (5½X9¾) Concentric coil and 5" DD so those two stay mounted on spare lower rods in my Accessory Coil Tote and I keep the 7" Concentric at work on my F5.

7.8...with 3 small adjustment choices...very similar to the Omega they say.
In my dirt it seems to work a bit better than my 10- 13.5 detectors as far as handling the hot soil and massive iron problems, more stable, anyway.
I have been cleaning out a neighbor's lawn and it has found a ton so far, brought the Nox in the other day with the sniper and it also found even more, mostly some very short, tiny iffy signals so it seems to be holding its own.

Nice to have more than one kind of machine to help me find as much as possible.

I enjoy them both...I feel lucky to own two tools so completely different and a virgin site as a laboratory to compare them.
Most of my detectors work in the 10 kHz to 15 kHz range, and I've favored that range since the latter '70s, but have also enjoyed several models that are just a wee-bit lower or higher frequency. For example, I have my 6.59 kHz XLT, 19 kHz FORS Relic, and the unchangeable Multi-IQ Vanquish 540 as well as SMF Apex which, in addition to the Multi-Flex multiple frequency, allows me to select 5, 10, 15 and 20 kHz. The default Frequency is 15 kHz, but there are places I favor the 5 kHz for the same reasons I like the 7.8 kHz F5. As you stated, REVIER, it's always nice to have more than one machine and be able to take advantage of what the different operating frequency might offer .... in addition to other circuitry design differences.

Monte