Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My oldest American coin

james1969

Since I live in Europe American coins are a rare find but this was my first one,got it about 2 years ago on a beach,I was actually using a Compass Goldscanner at the time,anyway it's a two cent piece dated 1865

STA40696jpgsmall.jpg

STA40698jpgsmall.jpg

CONGRATULATIONS-James 1969, Where did you actually find the coin, on a beach in the U.S., or on a European Beach? Being you found it two yrs. ago, I
just thought that I would ask where! If you feel UNCOMFORTABLE SAYING WHERE EXACTLY, then I won't be affended if you don't want to say!! HH, Les

No problem saying,I found it on a beach near to my home in Ireland,I've found a USA 1911 one cent on that beach as well,maybe there's an old silver there,if there is the GT stands the best chance of finding it!.Last week I found a coin in heavy iron,it had a large tree on one side,on the other side it said "United states of America",cool I thought,the coin looked liked a silver and as I rubbed away a bit of the dirt I saw the date 1788,holy crap! I thought this is very old for an american coin,visions of a lottery type payment floated before my eyes,then I remembered the GT had given a mid tone and not a high one,confused I rubbed away a little more dirt and sure enough there at the bottom was another date..1999,it turned out to be a Conneticut quater dollar,the tree on the back being the charter oak,ah well still got to go to work tommorow I guess.

The silver, copper and clad coins should all have the same high tone on the GT with the same meter numbers. If there was another coin like a nickle I can see it reading a mid tone and might be a little iffy too depending if one is right on top of another one or beside it. On the Explorer there is a different in the clad and the silver on tones with the silver being higher, but on the Sovereigns the tone is the same and some that are well experienced with the Sovereign may see the different in the clad and silver with how the meter will read and how it will lock on.

Rick

Well I just checked it in my kitchen and it gives what I'd call a high but not .925 silver tone,since I was working in high iron maybe I got fooled by a piece ot trash near it like rick said,anyway here it as I posted it on a UK forum

STA40676jpgsmall.jpg