Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My oldest coins. I hope

Bob38

For some time now my hunting buddy and I have had this ongoing oldest coin contest and he has been the leader since we started with a 1850s dime (for Oklahoma that's really good) until yesterday. I was hunting yesterday alone in an area I have had really good luck. Anyway, I thought I would hunt the big field where it is littered with shredded aluminum, soon I happened upon a patch of ground no larger than 2x2 feet and hit several soft but high tones with my Deus. I ended up with seven old coins......... I mean old.........European old. This area is where vendors set up to sell various items such as jewelry, collections, and artwork. I highly believe that a coin trader had a little spill resulting in the find. I'm very wary of fakes and expect disappointment but if I were going to fake these coins I would at least make them a little more recognizable and it probably cost more to fake them than they are worth. I may have just found some of the oldest coins (metal detecting) in this area.

I was able to find two of the coins on the net so far and I believe one of them is a Roman (Valens) coin dating from 364 B.C. to 378 B.C. and the other one is a Greek coin dating from 238 A.D.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

Oh if they could only talk! Kind of makes you wonder what a change merchant in the 1800"s would be doing with Roman and Greek coins of that age? Foreign coins of the 1800's era would seem more likely. But, finds like that are what makes this great hobby so exciting. Nice finds and good luck. HH jim tn

I only hunt this sight for the jewelry. This area has only been heavily used since the mid-1980s. Found a few good gold and silver rings. mostly modern drops. These coins were about 4 inches deep so I believe they were lost within the past 10 years.

Bob38, those are some really cool finds! Unless you head to Europe or the British Islands, you will have a hard time digging any older coins. You just never know what is going to be under that coil! Excellent finds! Best of luck and...

Happy Hunting!
Blind Squirrel

I wished I could afford to get them verified but it would be cheaper to buy ancient coins. The only thing I can brag about to myself is I have found the oldest coins in this area . Maybe.

Best hobby ever!

I'll tell you what I think...Those are awesome finds!!

Whoa! GREAT catch! I'm doing flip flops when I find a coin over here from the 1800's! You must've passed out! Congrats!

Here is what I think. Someone in Europe found these metal detecting. Sold them to a dealer who sold them on eBay to a dealer here who sells them at events. He or she somehow drops a handful several years ago. I come along and dig every signal in the area. That’s how I think they made it to Oklahoma. If they are legit, they may be the oldest coins ever found metal detecting in Oklahoma. :yo:

Actually, I didn't know what to think. I thought they were game-pieces and put them in my pocket for further investigation. Maybe I need to hit up some MDers from across the pond to get their opinion.

My girlfriend and I both found roman coins while in Seattle (mine was circa 305 AD). Allegedly, when the movie Ben Hur came out, a cereal company held a promo where you could send in so many box tops and get a Roman coin. Sounds feasible as an explanation.

Bob38 said:
For some time now my hunting buddy and I have had this ongoing oldest coin contest and he has been the leader since we started with a 1850s dime (for Oklahoma that's really good) until yesterday. I was hunting yesterday alone in an area I have had really good luck. Anyway, I thought I would hunt the big field where it is littered with shredded aluminum, soon I happened upon a patch of ground no larger than 2x2 feet and hit several soft but high tones with my Deus. I ended up with seven old coins......... I mean old.........European old. This area is where vendors set up to sell various items such as jewelry, collections, and artwork. I highly believe that a coin trader had a little spill resulting in the find. I'm very wary of fakes and expect disappointment but if I were going to fake these coins I would at least make them a little more recognizable and it probably cost more to fake them than they are worth. I may have just found some of the oldest coins (metal detecting) in this area.

I was able to find two of the coins on the net so far and I believe one of them is a Roman (Valens) coin dating from 364 B.C. to 378 B.C. and the other one is a Greek coin dating from 238 A.D.

Anyway, tell me what you think.

your coins are like barbarous imitations of the Roman denarius.