Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My only coin find yesterday with 15'' 3khz coil

reffitt20

On my second run with the 15" 3khz coil I really started thinking I got the wrong coil for the piece of property I'm trying to tackle. I know it has a purpose and I also I know nothing in this game comes easy. I have had my x-terra for 3 years now and the whole time I have been swinging the 9" 7.5khz stock concetr. coil. So I do have a lot of learning today. What I did notice is some areas which seemed reasonably clean were really nulling out and it was showing iron a lot. The other thing that bothered me was a lot of beautiful sounding targets running 34 and higher and a lot of them were within two numbers and it was iron almost every time. Just the 1st real day but it honestly made me think I should have went the other way and got the 6" coil to sift through all this iron better.

The beautiful coin I found was the only nice thing I found and considering the last person who touched this coin could have been my great great great grandfather really gets me fired up. I watch Hoover boys on Youtube and I can't believe I found this, I have seen them pull a few. It's 1864 and I believe its Large Motto. It was in a field where the family cabin was built in the 1830's.

If you have any suggestions on a small coil for the x-terra that is good at getting through the iron please give a suggestion. I like the 15 and it definitely has a purpose but I think I want to go the other way in size. Thanks for your time.

The two coils I am looking at are

6" DD coil 3khz COILTEK or Minelab 6" Concentric Search Coil (X-Terra Series)

what do you fine people think?

Nice find and considering it might be part of your family heritage makes it a lot more interesting. I have limited experience with the 705 but I wouldn't choose a big coil in an iron infested site. A small round coil like the 6" you mention or an elliptical shaped one of the same width would give you a fighting chance.

Four things:

1st) SLOW DOWN! That 15" coil is looking at a lot of ground when you consider it's depth capability. Sweeping too fast can cause erroneous results. I suggest actually practicing going slow to find out for yourself just how slow you can go and still get clear signals from good targets.

2nd) I highly recommend that you open up your discrimination. If you're experiencing excessive nulling, you can easily be missing audio that could cause you to investigate potential targets further. I have found too many good targets in holes with iron right next to them that I wouldn't have found with the iron notched out. Zero disc or AM are recommended.

3rd) In excessively high trash density situations, a smaller coil is in order. There simply are times when you can't realistically use your big coil. I frequently hunt an area with the big coil first, and then go back with a smaller coil afterward to get in between the trash better.

4th) Congratulations on a GREAT find!! :thumbup: Two and three cent pieces are among my favorites to find because they are so elusive.

That is a nice coin for your only one. That coil is not well suited for trashy spots. I like the 6 inch digger and the 6 inch high frequency for trash.

That is a great coin!

I would go with either of the two 6" minelab coils, the hi freq widescan or the med freq concentric. The hi freq will still hit coins well but with the added benefit of it being a widescan.

Great find.

For those above. I have the 6" minelab concentric and was concidering the 6 " DD . Which one would be best for trashy areas for coin hunting and is the concentric just too hot .
Is the 6" DD worth the extra cost.

Doug

Nice! If I only found one coin, and it was a 2 center, I call that a successful day!