Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My other hobby

TURNMASTER

I posted a razor that I had made a couple weeks back and I made another blade, a knife this time. Again I squeezed this one into brakes and about an hour after work. I am making it for a guy at work who has borrowed my pocket knife a couple of times. Now he will have no excuse for not having a knife at work. This will be my 4th blade and I am not yet done with #3 yet I epoxied the handle to the blade on Thursday and it still needs time to cure before I can finish sculpting it. This one still needs to be hardened. I started with a good quality metal file (worn out) and softened it for shaping. I left this one with the file pattern to mimic the way old blacksmiths did. They did that so people would know it was made from a quality piece of steel. I was going to put a handle slabs (scales) on the sides of the handle but after cutting out the material to balance the blade I liked the way it looks and feels in the hand so that is the way it will stay.

[attachment 212547 k1.jpg]
[attachment 212546 k4.jpg]

Thought I'd share
Jeff

Wow that is a nice blade TM, great job buddy!

To be honest with you, I have thought of trying to design and build my own knives but decided it was a bit more than I could handle. So ...... I decided to become a 'Custom Engraver' instead. My preference is engraving on wood but I also work on glass and metal. Unfortunately I've not done much with the hobby lately but plan on taking it up again one day soon. I've been involved with the hobby of engraving since 1998 upon retiring from my county government job (Just Over Broke).

Cool!

It takes an eye for design and a lot of coordination and skill to grind a blade like that.

I got into knifemaking about 12-15 years ago. Bought a Bader grinder, vertical mill (never wired it in), and alot of other junk I never used. Did grind some D2 and ATS-34 into powder a couple times before my business began to require all my time. Still have the equipment and some steel waiting to be ground into dust some day.

A perfect grind like Jeff's is not easy.

Wow Jeff,

That is really nice craftsmanship. No foreign junk in that picture.... that baby was made right here in the good ol' United States. Thanks for sharing - Jim

Thanks Guys and Galls.

SS, I have thought about engraving my hallmark into the blade, but I will probably make an Electrode and burn it in at work. A friend said he will help me with the electrode, as I have not made an electrode in 18 years.

Lash, If you want some help using that equipment let me know. I will help you wear it out! (of course it would be helpful if you were in Eastern WA or North ID.

Jeff

TURNMASTER said:
Lash, If you want some help using that equipment let me know. I will help you wear it out! (of course it would be helpful if you were in Eastern WA or North ID.

Jeff

Thanks for the offer, but I'm in Southern California.

Hey I got relatives in Anaheim (or close) and Palm Desert. You near there?

Jeff

Many years ago I made my living for awhile as a knife maker. That's a nice piece of work there. Clean functional lines, a good user for sure. I used to work a fair bit of D2, a little ATS34, and the occasional piece of O1.

Keep at it and definitely mark your work! A good craftsman should always mark his work, tradition you know. :cool:

Ma Betty: Thanks for the welcome. Blessings back at ya.

Turnmaster: I think Dizzy Land (Anaheim) is about 100 miles from here.

Hope you like the forum. Where are you from?
God bless

Very cool. Look for a pm.