Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Penney/dime dilema

synthnut

I have written in the past about hitting pennies and dimes with similar numbers….I hit plenty of pennies from 41 to 46…..The dimes would hit from 45-47…What I did was to hunt in 4 tone, and I adjusted my last tone break at 45 instead of 40….I went back to hunting, and when I heard a cracking tone that went back and forth in between the 2 last tones, I would dig….Many times the number would read 45, yet crackled from the lower tone to the higher tone….EVERY TIME this would happen, I would dig a dime….I dug ZERO pennies !! I was so tired of hitting 45/46 and digging pennies when the tone break was set to 40…Setting it to 45 made all the difference in the world !

I have written in the past about hitting pennies and dimes with similar numbers….I hit plenty of pennies from 41 to 46…..The dimes would hit from 45-47…What I did was to hunt in 4 tone, and I adjusted my last tone break at 45 instead of 40….I went back to hunting, and when I heard a cracking tone that went back and forth in between the 2 last tones, I would dig….Many times the number would read 45, yet crackled from the lower tone to the higher tone….EVERY TIME this would happen, I would dig a dime….I dug ZERO pennies !! I was so tired of hitting 45/46 and digging pennies when the tone break was set to 40…Setting it to 45 made all the difference in the world !
Nice work. Thanks for posting.

Nice work. Thanks for posting.
Thank you !!……I hope Nokta comes out with a Legend Plus that comes with a 0-100 scale instead of the 0-60…..with all the adjustments already offered (tone break adjustments, pitch adjustments, etc) an extended scale would be the icing on the cake !

Of course different soils change TIDs a bit but I would never kick out copper pennies. I detect with full tones , no bins just a little disc. Too many good things fall in the 42 to 44 range like thin silver rings and charms and any low conductor near quarters , halves or dollar coins can pull them below 45 without much trouble. I'll blow a lot of scratchy 40 to 42s off as zincs but feel compelled to dig any thing in that range that sounds clean. I have close to 60 pounds of copper pennies just waiting for a method to melt them down:)

Thank you !!……I hope Nokta comes out with a Legend Plus that comes with a 0-100 scale instead of the 0-60…..with all the adjustments already offered (tone break adjustments, pitch adjustments, etc) an extended scale would be the icing on the cake !
That would a great thing to have. Wonder if it would require a hardware change or is it in the firmware

Of course different soils change TIDs a bit but I would never kick out copper pennies. I detect with full tones , no bins just a little disc. Too many good things fall in the 42 to 44 range like thin silver rings and charms and any low conductor near quarters , halves or dollar coins can pull them below 45 without much trouble. I'll blow a lot of scratchy 40 to 42s off as zincs but feel compelled to dig any thing in that range that sounds clean. I have close to 60 pounds of copper pennies just waiting for a method to melt them down:)
Make your own bullets.
Corbin swaging dies.

I would be happy if the numbers were just more definitive. At least with my F75 and knew the difference between tabs/pennies/dimes………

I would be happy if the numbers were just more definitive. At least with my F75 and knew the difference between tabs/pennies/dimes………

On mine, pennies will sometimes read like a dime, but I've not had any dimes reading lower like a penny. Tabs aren't even close to either. Highest tab TID I've had was a 37.

On mine, pennies will sometimes read like a dime, but I've not had any dimes reading lower like a penny. Tabs aren't even close to either. Highest tab TID I've had was a 37.
For whatever reason, if you run 4 tone, and adjust your last tone break to 45 instead of 40, clad dimes will come in as either a higher tone, or a higher/lower tone mixed….Your pennies will come in at the lower tone with no high tone mixed in….This has worked wonders for me as hearing the difference is nice if you want to avoid a pocket full of pennies…Some are worried about losing Silver, but your still hearing a tone and seeing a number, so you clearly don’t miss anything

Wouldn’t it be nice to take a little bit of technology from each of the old detectors that we all swung and loved, and put together a LIGHT WEIGHT detector for us old geezers !….After all, we’re the ones keeping their lights on !! 😱