Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My personal thought on batteries

Stoof-tabsallday

I used and still use my varta rechargeables I got in my racer pro pack.
They hold alot more than the stated MaH on them.
I strictly use rechargeables and if I could find the varta here is buy them.
But I've had very good luck with Panasonic eneloops (normal not black pro HC). They don't necessarily last as long as the Energizer 2500mah ones but they do hold their charge extremely well while sitting.
The higher the capacity the faster they die when sitting.
Of course all modern rechargeable NiMH batteries are waaaay better than the older ones as far as discharging from sitting in a drawer. Nicd batteries were horrible lol.
But almost all modern rechargeable batteries are low self discharge (LSD) and do very well.
But out of all I would say Panasonic eneloops for overall performance and holding charge.

I've done my own testing with my 2 lacrosse battery charger/analyzers and while the Energizer and Duracell can have more power, they don't hold as long while sitting.
This is all relative. What I mean here is that I've had a set of Panasonic eneloops sitting for 6 months and they still had over 90% of their charge left. Same with ones for a year. They are advertised to hold 60-70% after 10 years.
Now in comparison a set of ion core Energizer's while charged hold 25% more than the eneloops but after 6 months were only between 70-80% charge left.
Any ones you choose will be great but out of all brands, from Panasonic eneloops, Amazon basic standard and high capacity, varta, EBL, Energizer 2000 and 2400 mAh, and Duracell ion core, the eneloops may not hold as much but you can be sure that when you throw them in even if they sat for a year, they will still have practically a whole charge. They can also be charged 1900 times!!! Lol. Now noone will likely make it that far before losing them but still. I don't doubt they will.
No modern batteries have memory either.
For me it was a bit of an investment, but I always have batteries (60 cells now from all the testing) and for me well worth it.

Not to say if you find a sale on reputable alkalines, by all means grab them!!! Lol. I still use them in remotes and low drain stuff.

But I even use liIon 9v rechargeables in my tesoros made by EBL. They last a really really long time.

Also did some real world testing and my eneloops (regular not pro) only lasted 10 min less than my alkalines in a flashlight test. And that whole 10 minutes the alkaline light was dim anyway and at the point I'd change them anyway.

Some things to consider too. Most people don't properly recycle their batteries and it adds alot of waste and hurts the environment when they end up in landfills.
While this wasn't my main reason for switching it's a good one.

If you charge your batteries once a day (not likely but if you hunt alot and all day maybe) eneloops should last over 4 years (and that's saying you only get 1500 charges instead of the 1900 advertised) get 2 sets and it doubles. I most likely will never kill the sets I have. But if you got the 8AA+4AA and charger on Amazon you'd be set. If you happen to kill a set, when you get home and charge them with the newest charger (has color changing LED on top of each cell on charger) in that set, it's done in a couple hours (7hours if you get the older charger set). When I bout them it was $30. Not bad.
They also sell 4cell holders for them (get tangsfire or some off brand. I got 12 4cell ones for $9)

In the end it's a personal choice. Like I said I still buy alkalines when they are cheap. But for my detectors and other higher drain stuff, eneloops are my winner.

I'm curious to know what others use.
I know I just saw that Monte prefers alkalines and I've met many others that do.
Just wanted to explain all that and not overtake anyone's thread that it was mentioned in.
(It was an Impact thread where someone said only 5hrs if using certain settings which can get expensive)

But please feel free to join in and explain why you use what you use and why. Also how you recycle your non rechargeables if that's what you use.
Happy hunting!!

Also any questions I didn't answer above on rechargeable and any of my tech that I use to get my numbers, run times, rechargeable battery brands, etc.
Happy to answer.
Ended up becoming a side hobby for me lol.

Thanks for displaying your thoughts and conclusions on batteries. You've put a lot of effort into that.

For some reason, I had always thought that one more small advantage of rechargeables is that they
are lighter weight than alkalines, at least as a general rule. This, of course, would be a nice extra
benefit when you're swinging a detector for hours on end.

Just for fun, I pulled out four of each kind of AA and weighed them on my tenth-of-a-gram scale.
The four alkalines weighed 3.2 ounces (rounded), but the four rechargeables weighed 3.9 ounces!

I felt very stupid for making the wrong assumption all these years.

Of course, seven tenths of an ounce isn't much difference, but I was surprised, to say the least.

In both cases, these were cheap brands, and other (higher quality) brands may differ.
The alkalines were Tenergy "High Performance Alkaline" type and the rechargeables were
Thunderbolt Magnum NiMH 2200 mAh (a Harbor Freight house brand, I think). Both types
have worked pretty well in my detectors, although I haven't done any precise timings or measurements
to confirm that.

I guess it's good to be humbled once in a while when you learn that the facts don't back up your long-held
beliefs.

[attachment 341581 IMG_20170220_232548-872x872.jpg]

Lol maybe your idea about the weight stemmed from older nickel cadmium batteries. If I remember correctly those were lighter.
The nickel metal hydride batteries have a higher density but they are lighter when they're dead if that helps lol.
For me the battery thing started when I got the varta batteries and looked up to find more.
That's when it started and I found the Panasonic's and their chargers that allow charging just one cell.
I use those chargers most often but glad to have the analyzers so I can find a bad cell when one happens.
I keep my batteries in either sets of 2 or 4 depending on the device I use them for. The downside is when the performance drops off on a set, it's usually one cell.
The analyzers lete check each separately to find the culprit.
It's only happened with one off brand I can't remember that I came across. But 2 of the 4 ended up going bad.
As you can see in the photo I have alot of different types. All do the job wonderfully!!!

I don't understand why we are still using old tech in detectors AA battery's are a total pain.

anyway it is what is and 99% of a deal breaker for me , use one 9 volt or li ion or li poly gee even Lifepo4. AA batterys are a total pain no rechargeable 1.5 volts .. and throwing battery's away after one use is a crime in my mind.

we will catch up eventually I guess.

but thanks for the batt review :biggrin:

AJ

amberjack said:
I don't understand why we are still using old tech in detectors AA battery's are a total pain.

anyway it is what is and 99% of a deal breaker for me , use one 9 volt or li ion or li poly gee even Lifepo4. AA batterys are a total pain no rechargeable 1.5 volts .. and throwing battery's away after one use is a crime in my mind.

we will catch up eventually I guess.

but thanks for the batt review :biggrin:

AJ
Coolest ones I have are those 4 liIon 9v cells. The round white charger lets me charge all 4 at once.

Posted in another thread but fits here too for my findings so far

I don't want to take over the thread but I started one on batteries in this forum
I tried them all lol. Yes eneloop pros win for capacity but the white little brother wins for holding charge the longest. Go check out the thread.
I tested eneloops, Energizer Duracell (great capacity too) and EBL 2800 (yes they really hold that plus some. Some cells break 3000mah), Amazon, Amazon HC, rayovac (also good capacity).
But my findings, and this is a personal choice, is the non pro (they come in many colors) eneloops win overall. Yes mine in average only hold 2000-2100 mAh but TIF you let them sit for a month they still have 90% of their charge. All the HC versions, including eneloop pro lose it faster from sitting. I will say as far as high capacity eneloop pros are the best in that category. They hold more charge after time but still lose it faster than the regular eneloops.
Another reason I concluded eneloop regulars win is the price. You can get 8 for $15-17 and because they aren't so dense as far as capacity they are rated at 1900 charges as opposed to the HC which are more like 500. And that's the eneloop pro. I doubt some of the others will last that many.
Another thing, and this test is still ongoing and will take time, is that that high capacity dont keep that capacity over a number of charges.
I have one set of regular eneloops that I'm on charge 500 and they still hold the same capacity. Only lost between 20-100 mAh over the set of 4 I'm testing.
The pros are at about 300 charges/discharges and they've lost between 300-400 mAh and the 2 that los 400 are now holding the same as the regular eneloops after 500 charges/discharges.

Now, if you're a photographer or need the batteries to last longer in a work setting, or need them for very high drain things like flashes I understand the HC batteries especially the eneloops pros. They definitely kick butt compared to the regular eneloops.

But my conclusion for metal detecting, what I found is for less cost and more total charges I'll go with the regular eneloops 2000 mAh (main ones are white but again come in many colors) work best.
I have yet to kill a set, or even come close on a day outing and I just throw them in the charger and they're full again for next time. My backup set gets a top off every once and a while, or I rotate them each hunt.

I have not tested the powerex, but have heard great things. I have so many cells now that I couldn't justify the extra cost premium of the powerex batteries.
Units used for charge discharge cycling:
Lacrosse bc-700 and bc-1000

Also used the newest Panasonic charger during testing to help charging them and my batteries I actually use lol.

The eneloop pros are the best you can get in my opinion for HC cells.
But for cost and my use, the eneloop whites work perfectly and their performance stays the same.