Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My recent MX5 experience

ROBOCOP

I was visiting Miami and decided to go dry sand metal detecting at Crandon beach park on the causeway to Key Biscayne. My girl friend and I were there Monday afternoon and I thought great the Monday after the holiday weekend. Well after zigzagging down the beach about a 100 yards and back, finding a few coins we see a storm coming our way so we pack up to leave. We go to the parking lot and surprise I dropped my car key somewhere ( with the remote). Panic sets in. I start doubling back with my detector trying to find my scoop drag marks. The storm is coming, the mosquitos are biting, my girlfriend has that look what a jerk, you know. Well no luck, she gets on the phone starts calling locksmiths, she gets abrupt with them and I say cool it they could leave us here for the mosquitos. I tell her hey I'm willing to pay cash! Two hours later a locksmith comes. He builds a key that opens the car door, that's pretty easy, scary easy. Next he builds a second key, a programmable key, he hooks up a laptop to the car's computer and in 12 minutes the car accepts the new key code. I give him $165 cash. (Note a key at a dealership is about $80, a remote probably another $50.) At this point I'm not complaining. We go to the hotel and I'm thinking. I'm hunting in all metal, I have a 13 inch ultimate coil with me and I don't really know what VDI number I am looking for.
So the next day (yesterday) we go back to the beach same spot. I put the newly built programmable key on the sand and check the VDI. I get a solid 55. OK I say that's a fairly unique VDI for beach hunting. Now the remote was with the lost key so how would that effect the VDI? I don't know, keep that in mind. I go the 100 yards zigzagging again looking for yesterday's scoop drag marks. No luck. Girlfriend still has that look on her face. It's sunnier and hotter today. I am a jerk. I grab a handful of raisins and gulp a bottle of water and go out about 40 yards backtracking, make 3 runs widening each run by 3 feet and on the third pass what do I get? A solid 57. Yup! Got it.( I guess the remote chip adds a little copper and raised the VDI?) I walk back to the blanket and go surprise. She don't believe it, no freaking way is the response. Two girls on a nearby blanket who heard the story go no way. So now I get a religious medal attached to my key chain. Has St. Anthony on it. Patron Saint of Lost causes and lost items and losers I guess. My response is let's make like a sheppard and get the flock out of here. Now I have to get the new VDI number for my key chain with the religious medal and remember that. I'm going to super glue a quarter to the medal to make it a unique VDI. Whatever it takes.
The moral of the story is:
When metal detecting wear cargo pants with lots of deep pockets. Bathing suits have shallow pockets.
Carry cash for emergencies! Triple AAA, prepaid services (in Miami?). Cash gets action.
Know the VDI of what you are searching for !!!
I'm logging VDI's for cell phones, bundles of keys, etc.
For the MX5
a nickel is a solid 20 all the time
pulltab dry sand is a 22
pulltab wet sand is a 24
penny is a 67
dime is a 77
quarter is a 84
24 inch 14K gold chain I found at another time was a 16 to 18 in dry sand.

Pics are key chain before and after religious medal.

ROBOCOP

great story
sad but funny as hell
keep up the good hunt :detecting:
thanks for shareing

Hind sight is always 20/20. Just think... This will be a moment that you and your girlfriend will look back upon and laugh about. I hope you guys had a great trip.
Jack

Don't need those cargo pants.. Been married 22 years.. Just hand anything you don't want lost to the better half.. and you will have whatever it is when you need it.. Well with the exception of money.. don't hand that over :)

Yeah we laugh about it already. Now with the extra keys I hide the door opener key on the outside of the car and the programmable starter key inside the car. No magnet lockers!
The locksmith was cool he admitted that he once lost his own key to his locksmith van. He had to call a co-worker to come help him out. He now keeps an extra key in his wallet.
I was paranoid about giving my stuff to my girlfriend to hold what with purse snatchings, etc.
I'm gonna go with the cargo pants. Try the thug look. Make me fit right in. Maybe some fancy underwear to hang out the back. Yeah that's the ticket.

ROBOCOP

Rob, let me just ask this one last question.. How many times have you lost stuff and how many times has your girls purse been snatched ? :surprised: Just sayin.. they guard those things like fort knox..

The times they are a'changing.
Several times I've been pan handled at a gas station when filling my car.
People ask you for money for gas or if they can put some gas in their car with my credit card.
When did that start? Is there a smart phone app that tells people to go do this?

Some of these people are driving a better car than me.
I think it's a sign that unemployment benefits are running out?

Be careful out there.

ROBOCOP

Yep, and the "LIFE owes me!" mentality.. Guess it pays to be a Heartless (insert adjective) l give nothing to anyone I do not know. "Got a quarter Sir" Yep just picked up 50 of them off the ground at the High School.. "Can I have 50 cent" Nope..
Wife says I am mean.. Can't wait till I am in my 80's I can get away with takin all the balls the kids kick in my yard.. Oh wait, kids don't play outside with baseballs and kick balls anymore.. They are all to fat to run around other than virtually... Ha I am old already! But we digress.....

A long handled beach scoop can also be used to go Braveheart on a would-be thug's head.
Works real well when you scream .'" I am William Wallace!" while swinging. A definite attention getter even of you don't make contact. No one likes crazy, even the no-goods.