Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

MY SAFARI IS NO LONGER A NAIL FINDER BUT A SPIKE FINDER!

bigdad75

OK
this is strange,I'm getting use to my safari and have been finding my share of silver,but today i got a nice tone and 36-38 in relic,with my 8x6 on it that i like a lot,it was deep and hard digging,about 12" and it was a rail road spike,the track was from the 1860s and removed 1960,but why the 36-38??and out of the hole the same reading!!i know the detector is OK,I'm just curious about those numbers on it,and i found some mercs and a barber dime quarters today and a couple of rusty nails but there getting fewer thank god,does this happen to anyone else?and does anyone know what kind of metal did they use back then?i know steel but with those numbers i just wounder what else could be mixed in with it?

Congrats on your silver finds. It sounds like you are starting to like your Safari. A big piece of iron is going give you a high reading on your meter.

John

One time I was detecting under a swing at a school with my Quattro and I was picking up the metal part where the chain connects to the rubber seat. This metal part was about 3 feet above the coil. It drove me crazy until I finally figured out what was going on. I had to move the swing out of the way to detect. You will also have a hard time around sidewalks with rebar in it. That is one of the reasons I picked up my 6" EXcelerator EQ 2 Pro Search Coil.

John

I did exactly what John did and invested in that same smaller coil when I first figured out I needed a smaller coil to be able to separate those good targets from junk objects in a trashy area and even when they are in the same hole!.....at least you will get more definitive sounds between the silver or iron or gold!.
I wanted to ask you if and how you GB your detector? I would say take some time to do that right making absolutely sure you don't have iron etc; under your coil. If you don't do it right, your detector will not work correctly for you.
I mostly detect beaches and I stay at least 3 to 4ft from the boardwalk wall. With all that rebar that's in the wall, your Safari will sound like a 100 piece orchestra with multitudes of high and low sounds! Same with sidewalks etc; With that small coil, I can get closer than with a larger coil.

6X8 seems to working for you better.You will have targets like that from time to time but I bet that your depth said around 8 inches but you decided to dig to 12 nothing wrong with that but if you dig past what depth it is telling you 95 percent of time it is going to be something that you were not expecting considerate it another form of discrimination.I do it all the time zinc top fruit jar lids 15 inches(what a machine) Had a silver dime tone 9 inches thought it was already in my pocket had just hit 7 silver dimes with same tone turned out to be cast iron motorcycle with rider in great shape Hubble sold for 300 bucks beats silver any day.I dug Gone With The Wind neck broach with large purple stone size of silver dollar that sounded like Indian Head Penny reading at 31 at 7 inches when I got to about down to a foot I was thinking axe head or horse shoe was pleasant surprise to find broach.I have found a lot of axe heads the ones with names sell for more than coins sometimes.

i do like the 6x8,i haven't taken it off yet,and thanks on the axe head i found one the other day ill have to clean it up to see if there is any name on it and ill get back to you on it.