Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Sovereign

dbsmokey

After much thought, I have posted my sovereign with accessories in the classified ads. I did enjoy the Sovereign mostly, just wasn't as impressed as I thought I would be. After saving $, I will be upgrading to an etrac. For now, I will use my trusty Excal 800. I appreciate all the idea exchange on this forum. I will be continuing to monitor it as I will still be using that excal, my FAVORITE detector of all time.

The E-Trac is the only detector i have used that could take the place of my GT as the main detector, I like it a lot and do OK too, but not as good as I do with the GT as I know that detector well and just starting to really learn the E-Trac. I will say the E-Trac is not as simple to use as the GT, but can do more with it.

Good luck

Rick

Rick,
Once you get the hang of the E Trac and the settings that YOU find work for your area , it will be more of a "set it , and forget it " type machine ........ Learning your area , and learning how the maachine will best hunt your area is all in field experience .....One day you will stumble on the perfect way to set your machine up , and it will dawn on you and you will say " why didn't I think of that earlier ? " ....... It's like any other macihine ....You have to learn it , and it just has more to learn is all , but as you say, much more at your disposal ......Good Luck with it .....Jim

I'd highly recommend you try an Etrac for a while before buying one. I'm glad I did because it kept me from making a big mistake. I had fully intended to buy one until I saw certain drawbacks, including the highly unstable ID, less VDI resolution since you can't rely on the ferrous number and in effect only then have a 0 to 50 scale in conductivity, and the much less detailed audio on targets. Great machine? Sure, but not for me. Besides, an SE Pro is much cheaper and from all reports will hold it's own thanks to the Pro Coil. In fact, some believe the SE Pro has better audio at depth and feel it gets them deeper coins better for that reason. You can find an SE Pro used for around $500 to $700. If I add another machine to my line up it'll probably be an SE Pro, T2SE, or F75LTD, perhaps an AT PRO. I walked away from the Etrac thinking it would take all the fun out of my hunts compared to my GT, which gives me the raw power without all the hassle. It will get just as deep and with a 12x10 will shock you with how well it can seperate targets.

What you don't hear is all the Etrac buyers who secretly went to other machines like the T2SE, F75LTD, or back to an Explorer. I know of more than a few, but they keep their mouth shut because they don't want to be raked over the coals for not liking the Etrac. Some people, including myself, just don't like it. For those reasons I would try before you buy, which is sound advice with any machine.

The first time out with the E-Trac I loved it after I seen what it can do, just got to fine tune it more and learn more about it by actual use of it. The more Iuse it like it was with the Sovereign they more I learned and the better i could do with it. I have used all the different Explorers too and find the E-Trac much easier to use and more stable with better ID numbers. The reason my GT is still my number one detector is I feel I know it well and when ever it make any kind of noise I know what it is telling me. On the E-Trac i would have known it better, but didn't have one all last season as they were back ordered since March for me when mine were all back ordered, go one in Nov so I hope to be able to use it more this year if my health holds up to use it.
Now I tell everyone as Minelab has told its dealers that the E-Trac is not a Explorer, so it is set up differently, shares the same coils though and I am sure some other things are the same, but they are different. Some try to run them the same with the settings as their Explorers and don't like the E-Trac, but that is the reason why.
I find I can work in iron much better with the E-trac and have proven this to others also, the tones are easier to hear, the recovery is faster on the display and the visual ID seems to be much better, depth is about the same, but nicer tones on the deep signals. The E-Trac also is very hot on nickles as a good Friend has one too and his nickle count has went a good 4X more over his SE Pro he had before. He hunts with a guy that has a XS and the guy dig very little nickles and a lot of pull tab tails so my feind helps him out by finding nickle signals for him to try, many the E-Trac shows nickles while the XS shows trash and when dug some are some very deep nickles.
Like I say the E-Trac would be the only detector I have used that would be my Number 1 detector to use over my GT, just got to use it more and learn it more like I have with the Sovereigns as I can dig more good targets then bad with the Sovereign as i know all the little tricks to use, with the E-Trac i haven't learned all the little tricks it has yet, but will i am sure so my good to bad targets are not as good yet as you have to dig anything you are not sure of, just got to use the E-Trac more.
MY Friend had the SE Pro and got the E-Trac from me after a few time out he wasn't impressed with the E-Trac yet, kept telling him it was not a Explorer, so don't use it like you do your SE Pro. Then he started to try different settings and started finding more coins in with nails in spot he though he cleaned out, deeper coins that sounded so much better too and after 2 month he told me to sell his SE Pro as he is a dedicated E-Trac user now.
The Sovereigns, all the different Explorer and the E-Tracs are great and each has their followers as these are all made for those that are serious about detecting and how much you want to learn on them, but do feels from what i have seen the E-Trac when learned will leave the others behind, but you got to know how to use it from experience. I feel the reason many sell anyone of these as they are not happy with them is they don't understand them and don't want to take the time to learn.

Rick

Good luck to you. There is a detector out there for everybody. I hope you find yours. Our door is always open.