Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My sport

8720roger

It's about time white gets on the bandwagon whit the max sport,garret as had there at pro waterproof detector out for over two year and it as become a best seller.

Garrett had many teething problems when the AT Pro was first introduced.... like faulty coils that would false with constant beeping and then a much bigger problem like flooding and subsequent shorting out of the electronics in the control box. Then they support a stupid reality show on National Geo Graphics called the "Diggers" and supplied the actors with AT Pros........LOL

As I understand it Whites has some new blood in their house and things are gonna be good this year. Heard they got a killer detector coming some time this year don't know if its a gold machine or a coin machine, stay tuned shortribs

I see what your saying "new blood" I kinda think of Whites as the old whites ( with their management and engineers) and the new Whites today with a new CEO and engineers. So far the new Whites hasn't done that much to knock my socks off. The new MX Sport, while being waterproof, I'm still not convinced it will exceed the performance of the MXT (s) I have never really needed a waterproof machine, and if the performance doesn't exceed the MXT (s) I'll just keep my MXT Pro....it works fine. Plus the fact that you can not use Eclipse coils on it.....it really has a poor coil selection at launch time. No small coil is offered. Hopefully soon they will offer one. But if you are in need of a water proof machine, I would prob take it over the AT Pro. I did have some excitement over the MX Sport, until the Racer 2 was announced........and that excitement quickly evaporated.....I don't see the MX Sport coming close to performance and features that the Makro Racer 2 offers and in the same price range.

Lets give white a chance to prove itself with the MX Sport. If it don't work out you will see them for sale on the internet.

OregonGregg said:
....I don't see the MX Sport coming close to performance and features that the Makro Racer 2 offers and in the same price range.
Maybe not, but maybe so. Nevertheless it's made by a company in the USA; and for those of us close enough to Sweet Home, a simple phone call or drive to get a quick remedy if a problem results. White's has been good to me and I'd rather buy from them than a Turkish machine any day of the week!!!!! Last time I checked, this is the White's section not Makro. I've been patient of your jabs and Makro promos for a while but I'm beginning to tire of them in this forum.

until it is finally finished and out on the market. Then we will all have the opportunity to "buy-it-and-try-it" and know how well it performs in the field [size=small](or water)[/size], and while I AM NOT a water hunter and have no real use for a waterproof detector, I AM a dedicated avid detectorist and do have a want-and-need for a detector that is fits my wants and needs.

What are those? I like 'Simple' and I like 'Functional' and regardless of the controls and features it has to provide 'Performance.' I don't care for complex operation. I do want a detector to have the adjustment features and controls to provide ample performance in a variety of hunting applications and, therefore, be a more versatile or multi-purpose performing unit.

In this case, from what we have seen so far in the many different videos from White's, some useful and some pretty lame, the new MX Sport appears to be a 'Simple' detector to get into action and not too complex for the majority of the hobbyists out there. I like that. But what might it offer the serious consumer [size=small](those being the more avid detectorists who get out and use a detector often)[/size] in the way of 'Functional' design and usefulness, as well as 'Performance' in different hunting scenarios we might all want to use a detector for?

Waterproof? That is one 'Functional' design that, if it really proves to be waterproof over time, is a useful feature for those who want to wade or shallow-dive in water, or if they are concerned about detecting for a prolonged time in a very miserable downpour. Neither of those interest me, or probably the majority of detector users, but it's 'Functional' for some.

Headphones? Most active detectorists and hobbyists use headphones, and in the past decades, White's has provided many detector models, from the lower-end Classic SL series through to the expensive V3i with a rear-located headphone jack. That excellent design concept helps reduce excessive cable stretching, snagging on brush, perhaps blocking a view of the display, and other good points.

In recent years, since dropping the good performing Classic series for the Prizm series, that morphed to the Coinmaster series, that was replaced by the new Treasure Master/Pro models, and even in the last couple of years with the MX5, we have had to tolerate a side-mounted or back-side located headphone jack on the control housing over the hand-grip. That is like many 'competitors' have done with the lower-to-mid priced detector models.

The Fisher F75 series and Teknetics T2 series, to include the $499 'Classic' followed the better design concept of a rear-positioned headphone jack, and we see that on the Nokta FORS series and Makro Racer series models as well with their models starting at $649. Now we have a newly designed battery housing that could have been designed to have a rear-positioned headphone jack, but the new design is less 'Functional' than that, having the jack is mounted on the back-side of the MX Sport display. Kind of makes me wonder about their fore-thought for future models based on their new circuitry design concept.

Search Coils? Again, when I consider ANY detector, especially in the upper mid-price range, I want to see 'Functional' design that might lend itself to in-the-field 'Performance,' and with the MX Sport, I don't see that .... yet. Who knows, maybe they will come up with a solution to what is lacking. Instead, what I see is more of a 'trendiest' design that seems to ignore an important ingredient necessary for a lot of different hunting scenarios.

Using bigger 'standard' search coils kind of got its start back in late '87/'88 when White's introduced their 950 search coil to replace the long-reliable 8" coil on many of their models. Why? People, even back then, were asking for "more depth" and "bigger search coils," so White's tried to please them. That was about 28+ years ago! Then in coming years, like we saw the Minelab folks promote their Sovereign with Double-D coils, and about ±2000 their FBS series came with their DD coils, and those were in the 10½" to 11" diameter category.

About a decade ago Dave Johnson, then with First Texas Products, revived the Teknetics name with the new T2 he designed that used their bigger-than 7X11 'BiAxial' [size=small](Double-D)[/size] search coil, and that's also on the Fisher F75 and many newer and lower-priced models now, and more manufacturers, to include the Nokta Detector and Makro Detector products, mainly feature DD standard coils that are bigger than the once 'normal' 8" standard size.

So a 'trend' has been to provide bigger standard coils and also to cater to the many who believe a DD coil is the way-to-go. Am I in that group? Well, kind of. I have been using DD search coils since 1971, but I also have favored Concentric coils on many makes and models because they work better due to the detector's circuitry design. All my Tesoro's have 6" Concentric coils mounted. And when I was using mostly White's models, they were up-to-date on 'Performance' and functioned better for me in the environments I usually hunt in with their 6½" Concentric coil when trashier, or the newer 9" Concentric 'spider' coil ion lower target-count places.

Those White's models were some of the Classic SL series, the MXT Pro and MX5, and I tried a variety of DD coils, from White's and several after-market offe3rings to include smaller sizes like a 5" or 6" round DD to the 6X8 SEF DD coils and others. The two White's Concentric coils provided the best all-purpose performance for the sites I hunted.

Now we have an MX Sport coming with a new design 10" DD standard, and two coils they say will be available soon, of 6X10 and 950 designs. Nothing smaller? No 5" or 6" or 6½" or ??? They can't design a new, versatile smaller-size search coil that is really an important tool to have to achieve performance in many applications.

dbsmokey said:
OregonGregg said:
....I don't see the MX Sport coming close to performance and features that the Makro Racer 2 offers and in the same price range.
Maybe not, but maybe so.
Again, we won't know until we get the detector in our hands and try it where we like to hunt. In this case, I am in agreement with Oregon Gregg because the coming MX Sport lacks a smaller-size coil that is necessary for hunting in a dense, iron littered site, or close to metal poles and structures and fences, etc.

dbsmokey said:
Nevertheless it's made by a company in the USA; ...
Yes, it is made by a company that is here in the USA. Now, I guess it might be safer or more correct to say it is ASSEMBLED by a company here in the USA, but a certain number of the parts are of foreign manufacture. Without knowing where the metal is made, where the plastics are made, where all the internal electronic components are made ... I think it is simple a quality assembled model here inn the USA using all the necessary components they have acquired from whatever sources there are. I seriously doubt that it is all comprised here in the USA. Oh, and the detectors usually come with rechargeable batteries or alkaline batteries which is a vital part of the detector package. Where were the batteries and charges made, and what was the source of the charger's components?

I am proud to be an American and to have served this great country in time of foreign conflict, and I convey this message while typing on my laptop that was made in a different country with foreign components, just like the bulk of all of out clothes, home furnishings, automobiles and the list goes on. let's not over boast the "Made in the USA' theme. Instead, how about making a product in the USA that WILL compete against some excellent detectors that are foreign made. Compete with the Minelab products built in Malaysia or the Makro and Nokta detectors from Turkey, that is what it is all about in any business. Being competitive.

dbsmokey said:
... and for those of us close enough to Sweet Home, a simple phone call or drive to get a quick remedy if a problem results. White's has been good to me and I'd rather buy from them than a Turkish machine any day of the week!!!!!
No doubt that it is handy to buy local and have repairs done locally, as long as the products are decent (and that means they should break down and need repair often) and the service is top-notch.

I have ALWAYS had exceptional repair service from White's, going back to 1971 with a defective Goldmaster 63 BFO right out of the box, or a brand new 6000 Pro XL that was defective, and confirmed on a trip when it didn't work even when I opened a new Classic III SL to get the 950 coil out of the new boxed detector, only to find the new 950 coil had a dead short! Or when the Classic ID was first released and I picked mine up at White's with some accessories, to include a 4" Snooper coil (Blue max 350) right off the display shelf in the factory Demo room, only to have that be a defective new coil.. Oh, I can't forget the Vision I bought before the official release in Texas and the troubles I had with it, the headphones, and the replacement detector they gave me and the repairs to the replacement and ... well I got rid of that one, but every time I would drive on down from the Portland metro area with those, White's service department took care of me.

I know that things can happen and the Vision, morphed to Spectra V series name, had a lot of troubling times when it got started. I hope the MX Sport doesn't have similar issues because I would like to see White's get back up to the standing they once had in the industry. It will take improved "Functional' features and design and proven 'Performance' to get them there as they have had two or three very sluggish years..

dbsmokey said:
Last time I checked, this is the White's section not Makro. I've been patient of your jabs and Makro promos for a while but I'm beginning to tire of them in this forum.
Yes, it is a White's Forum, and we have seen videos from White's that have directly mentioned and/or used competitive models. We have seen forum discussions and comments elsewhere from White's own Steve Howard who made some cheap-shot remarks or references to some Garrett models and others. In this case, Oregon Gregg didn't say anything except : "I don't see the MX Sport coming close to performance and features that the Makro Racer 2 offers and in the same price range"

Nothing wrong with an opinion, and some is based on 'Functional' and feature he has seen, and notes the last of the manufacturer offering a better assortment of search coils to give it the opportunity to try and compete with the Racer 2. Matter of fact, I'll add my own opinions that I don't see what is being shown and offered, with a limited pick of search coils, as a model that will compete with the performance I get from any of the detectors I currently own and use. That includes the non-metered units with their smaller coil in the nasty iron infested sites I have been hunting since 1969.

And like you said: "Maybe not, but maybe so."

Time will tell, and if they DO get a smaller coil out for the MX Sport I will give it a workout in some really ugle trash envoironme4nts and se eif it is in the "Maybe NOT" or in the "Maybe So" category.

Monte

Hombre said:
Garrett had many teething problems when the AT Pro was first introduced.... like faulty coils that would false with constant beeping and then a much bigger problem like flooding and subsequent shorting out of the electronics in the control box. Then they support a stupid reality show on National Geo Graphics called the "Diggers" and supplied the actors with AT Pros........LOL

I hope you're right. My MX5 went back to White's twice to fix the tones problem. Still not totally right.

Shenandoah......whats up with the MX5?

I have had no problems with mine in some of the nastiest nail ridden sites here in Kansas, must be my sweet soil here.

Is yours one of the early ones that changed tones even in the pinpoint mode? I'd get tired of sending it back to Whites, Sweet Home OR is where I would send it to, they should make it right.

Harold said:
Doesn't the MX 5 have some type of Audio Glitch? :poke:

Not mine, I bought it off of Monte and he hand selected this one for me...LOL

I can't wait to try the mx sport. I've wanted to try the mxt for a bit but couldn't justify getting one. The new mx sport did one thing that the mxt and mxt all pro never could. Replace the at pro as my water and river detector. Having a detector that I can cross a river with without worry or just jump in on a hot day and keep detecting is worth its weight in gold to me. Or in this case a pound or so more. The great feature set, respected lineage, nearby manufacture and Whites good name are just iceing on the cake. Will it outperfom the AT? Well the iron audio volume and all metal do it for me.

I for one am not going to buy another "top of the line" machine until they stop being evolutionary and become revolutionary. Everything being released its just repackaged technology. Sure this new mx sport sounds great and all but if you step back and look at the features there is nothing new going on here. The new omega has volume notch, at pros are already proven to be great at finding items at decent depth and in iron in the water or out, many detectors have multi tone options but I don't really see the benefit in a bunch of tones (minelab is an exception to this rule) I know it's Just my opinion and I'm sure it will be a great detector in and out of the water, but it just frustrates me that nobody is making anything truly game changing by now.

I agree and disagree. Two of the most exciting product lines for me right now (even though they're not for me) are the whites treasuremaster and Fisher f22/44. Lightweight, 2 AA batteries and weatherproof. It's nice to see low-cost refined consumer friendly products that compete with higher end offerings. That being said, next I'd like to see a detector that ID's a silver dime a foot down between two nails on the surface in a similar form factor.I wonder how long till we see displays that show a real-time image ala' ultrasounds!

Seeing it in the ground is coming says Fisher they claim 19 NEW detectors coming, and with see in the ground features on one, is what I read on the net by fisher. shortribs

I just bought a MXT All Pro. I thought about waiting for the MXSport but, like others, I was concerned that there might be teething issues. I am confident White would get them sorted out quickly but since I am getting back into detecting after a long absence, I wanted to go with a proven metal detector. That way I know that I am the weak link :) .

In any case, I look forward to reading about the new MXSport.