Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

My Wounded Duck

jimmyjiver

[size=medium][size=large]Hi all, First off I would like to say for your viewing pleasure I attached a picture..Now this eye candy represents my finds after two outings at two different locations while using my new Garrett AT Pro. I firmly believe that Garrett has really hit a home run with their new innovated sensation the AT Pro. I also believe if they were to make a slight change of the ergonomics of the AT Pro, it would be one of the best if not the best machine in the U. S. market priced under $600.00. Furthermore if they were to develop an AT Ultra Pro it would be one of the most serious top notch contenders that would leave other companies trying to follow suit. My AT Pro will two way hit a U. S. nickel in air tests at 12'' with no sweat and probably even more if I asked it to. In my two outings this nickel magnet would beat me like a red headed stepchild. My AT Pro would bang my cranium really hard on nickels. However in all fairness with respect to my airtest,the nickels I acquired average between 4" to 7" deep and came in on the richter scale of 51,52,53 respectfully..I did not ascertain any phenomenal depths in my two outings with my deepest coin probably being 8" deep in moderate soil conditions and 7" in very high mineralized soil conditions. My AT Pro would ground balance at 93 in the very highly mineralized soil and 72 on the more moderate soil conditions. Keep in mind that I'm not saying that this is the limit of the depth of the AT Pro. I also firmly believe if a coin would have been deeper I probably would have heard it. I did however dig some aluminum scrap deeper,down to at least 10" deep. Nowadays it's almost a welcome site to get scrap copper,brass,aluminum with scrap prices being so high. The capabilities of the AT Pro is endless with so many ways to run it's settings. You can set it up to run as quiet as a church mouse or turn it up to run like a wounded duck. Keep in mind that I'm by no means an expert on the AT Pro,but I have been detecting for over 30 years. I did learn one important thing with my whole 4 hours approximately of running the AT Pro and doing various tests. To unlock the AT Pro's full potential you need to run it with the iron audio on and set the iron discriminator no higher than 24. And I would also run it at full sensitivity plus set it to zero discriminate....Have you ever heard of the old saying "you can't teach an old dog new tricks"? Well you guessed it I'm one of the old dogs....I'm deplorable sorry to be getting rid of my AT Pro because of the fact,to unlock it's full potential you need to run it like a wounded duck. Quite frankly my cranium can't process all of the data that's being inputted into my ears.. Now in all fairness to the AT Pro it is not noisy at all sites and the beast actually could be tamed down a bit and be set to run alot quieter....I have one site in mind that I have been running off and on for over 30 years and I'm not giving up on it!!!!....In a nutshell one of these days I'm going to beat this site and rape it of all of it's treasures that it has been hiding for well over 150 years. So in closing I'm saying goodbye to my short lived but beloved AT Pro. And I'm going back to my antique modified Garretts....Oh by the way just for the record I have tried just about every major brand of detectors made on this site and I always come home to my old dinosaur Garrett. My old Garrett will always have a place in my heart..I would also like to take this time to say thanks to the Garrett Team for making my life more enjoyable..Also thanks to any or to all that may have read this....JJ[/size][/size]

Only 4 hours with the machine, let the wounded duck fly and leave the mouse at the church..I dont mean to be disrespectful, but it sounds like u dont have any patience . If your one of them old dogs who know what they like and the older machine works for U, then :thumbup: But I really think you should give the machine a better chance. Iron audio on for some people can be very to much noise. Tame it down give it a chance.

JJ

I know how you feel.
I have only had mine for 2 days now and I had to buy an extension to keep my wrist from breaking off.
I'm an old dog too, but I need an in the water MD, so I'm hanging on for now.

I basically got it for the water, fresh mostly, but I wanted something to have if I ever make it to saltwater also.
Have not been able to get it in the water yet, so I'm still keeping my fingers crossed.

May your "old dinosaur Garrett" live forever!

Good Hunting

Denny

XT-705
XT-70
(2) Silver uMax's
AT-Pro

You just got to spend a little more time to learn the "Pro's" vernaculary. If it sounded like this she was just telling you that she loved you, and that there was a cache of seated silver dollars just a little to the right of the Barber quarter located 8 inches under her Double D's :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOoxb4Fr65k

Regardless have fun with the Green T Rex

QH

quarterhorse said:
You just got to spend a little more time to learn the "Pro's" vernaculary. If it sounded like this she was just telling you that she loved you, and that there was a cache of seated silver dollars just a little to the right of the Barber quarter located 8 inches under her Double D's :rofl:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOoxb4Fr65k

Regardless have fun with the Green T Rex

QH

[size=large]Hi, Now you done it,, my poor little wounded duck is in the corner crying her eyes out...Oh well I will pick her eyes up later..:cry:..Have a good one....JJ[/size]

JJ, I wanted to follow up on your post. The finds you spoke about are very easily found in standard mode (not so much noise). Also zero mode has 3 tones (I only need 2, I don't hunt for iron). Iron Disc.? I turn mine up to 40. The pro works there also. I found a 1908 barber quarter last Sunday in a park that was built in the 70s.
Keep playing with it.

jimmyjiver said:
[size=medium][size=large]............To unlock the AT Pro's full potential you need to run it with the iron audio on and set the iron discriminator no higher than 24. And I would also run it at full sensitivity plus set it to zero discriminate................JJ[/size][/size]

JJ, I think there is some confusion about the iron audio. I know there was for me. Setting the iron disc to 24 and turning the iron audio on is going to move the bottom end of the mid-tone range down to 24. So everything between 24 and 75 will sound mid-tone. Everything below 24 a low tone.

Turning the iron audio off with the same setting returns the bottom of mid-tone to 39 and everything in between 24 and 39 will sound off as a low-tone. Anything lower than 24 will not sound at all. The chart on page 28 of the manual is a lot of help.

I would give it some more time.

Good Luck with whatever you do.

Jerry

Jerry-Wi said:
JJ, I think there is some confusion about the iron audio. I know there was for me. Setting the iron disc to 24 and turning the iron audio on is going to move the bottom end of the mid-tone range down to 24. So everything between 24 and 75 will sound mid-tone. Everything below 24 a low tone.

Turning the iron audio off with the same setting returns the bottom of mid-tone to 39 and everything in between 24 and 39 will sound off as a low-tone. Anything lower than 24 will not sound at all. The chart on page 28 of the manual is a lot of help.

I would give it some more time.

Good Luck with whatever you do.

Jerry

[size=large]Hi Jerry,, Hey thank you very much for the constructive criticism..:thumbup:..JJ[/size]

JJ read all the post, I too am an old dog. I think you should hang in there and read your manual again and talk to the folks here. Hell fire I been at it 30 + years and I have never known a detector that didn't have a learning curve.

Just my 2 cents from one old dog to another.

HDJ :cheers:

[size=large]Hi HDJ,, You are absolutely correct in your statement "I have never known a detector that didn't have a learning curve."...I have over 20 years on my one Garrett metal detector and I'm still learning it's little subtle vocal nuances....I probably will take the duck out for another swim before deciding on it's fate..:shrug:.. Thanks for your comment..:thumbup:..JJ[/size]

lasergod said:
JJ, I wanted to follow up on your post. The finds you spoke about are very easily found in standard mode (not so much noise). Also zero mode has 3 tones (I only need 2, I don't hunt for iron). Iron Disc.? I turn mine up to 40. The pro works there also. I found a 1908 barber quarter last Sunday in a park that was built in the 70s.
Keep playing with it.

[size=large]Hi,,Hey thanks for the info I will try different modes the next time I take the duck out....I will post my results when I do,but right now the weather is not the best....Thanks....JJ[/size]