Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nail Board Results:twodetecting:

Idxpro

Video Link....[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6mhJFzCThs[/video]

Well done! Thanks for sharing. I cant believe that big ol' 12x10 coil did as well as it did.

Feel free to pm your email and i will send a pdf file so you can print full screen and just place the nails accordingly.

Sorry for the quality too. I had to swing left handed because the sanyo camcorder was right hand only.

Pretty impressed with the Tesoro and the 8" concentric. Tabman has always sworn by this coil and I have been impressed by it as well. Almost as good as the 5" coil. Seems the 8' concentric is a good all around coil.

Where can we find everybody else's results with different detectors?

Couple of things I think I'm seeing: First; since you see where the coin is, the sweep of the coil has it well centered over the coin for every sweep. If the sweep is offset by 1/3 of the coil width you may mask the coin more. That isn't the purpose of setting up this standard test, but for anyone trying it, seeing results from a coil offset from the center of the coil going over the coin may change how much coil overlap is used when gridding and area. Second; that is a nice slow sweep in all cases shown in the video. What happens with faster sweep?

And a possible challenge; have you tried raising the level of the nails above the coin so that they are not sitting on the same plane? Again, not part of the standard test, but seeing the results does add further thought to how one may choose to hunt and dig targets and what you understand about what may be getting left behind.
Cheers,
tvr

tvr said:
Couple of things I think I'm seeing: First; since you see where the coin is, the sweep of the coil has it well centered over the coin for every sweep. If the sweep is offset by 1/3 of the coil width you may mask the coin more. That isn't the purpose of setting up this standard test, but for anyone trying it, seeing results from a coil offset from the center of the coil going over the coin may change how much coil overlap is used when gridding and area. Second; that is a nice slow sweep in all cases shown in the video. What happens with faster sweep?

And a possible challenge; have you tried raising the level of the nails above the coin so that they are not sitting on the same plane? Again, not part of the standard test, but seeing the results does add further thought to how one may choose to hunt and dig targets and what you understand about what may be getting left behind.
Cheers,
tvr
you may be right but the nail bord is a standred test to see how md will do in a standerd test the what iff does not aply just my thought

Enjoyed the video, and have a better appreciation for Tesoro's. Thanks for taking the time and sharing.

I think that was a great test. It sure gives you an idea of what other detectors can and can not do. I am happy that I have Tesoros. Great job... KEN

I kept all swings as even as possible and thought a medium swing was best. Slower was better for tesoro and faster was better for whites. F2 didnt benefit from from or slow. So I figured keep it a medium swing and a happy medium. I will be doing some in ground testing with nail board. Maybe bury it 4" or so. I was a little suprised with the f2 to be honest. That thing has such a fast recovery its scary. I have done very well in heavy iron with the 8" coil. Of course the numbers are all over the place but if it responds and bounces alot on the f2, it aint iron, and i have dug some great silver finds in high trash with that thing. All in all, small coil did best on all of them. The outlaw did fantastic. The 10x12 was pretty good for a large dd. The idx bullseye did very well. I cant wait to see more results from others. Results will be on ahrps.org. I promise to get some better video next time. Swinging left handed was like writing left handed. Not easy trying to stay on target, keep your depth perception, and keepcamera on point all at the same time. Hope you all enjoyed. More to come.

Fred

I also want to point out one very, very important lesson I learned from this test. The response to the indian head was only with minimal disc setting. Just barely rejecting the nails. For example, an indian on the outlaw, would be no problem with disc near zinc, but with the iron around it, no go. Same went for the whites. once get up near tab, the response is gone, where as the coin alone would normaly still give a good response. This was a very cool lesson for me. Good targets get maaked at a much lower disc with all of that iron around. Learning everyday!

Idxpro said:
I also want to point out one very, very important lesson I learned from this test. The response to the indian head was only with minimal disc setting. Just barely rejecting the nails. For example, an indian on the outlaw, would be no problem with disc near zinc, but with the iron around it, no go. Same went for the whites. once get up near tab, the response is gone, where as the coin alone would normaly still give a good response. This was a very cool lesson for me. Good targets get maaked at a much lower disc with all of that iron around. Learning everyday!

That is the best take-home lesson of this test IMO! I can only imagine the coins Ive missed while hunting with Disc set just below zinc.

Heavy disc = "kiss off" on a lot of good targets (masking).
mojotrout said:
Idxpro said:

That is the best take-home lesson of this test IMO! I can only imagine the coins Ive missed while hunting with Disc set just below zinc.

Idx i would put the F-4 in the trash compacter , and hear i figured it would do well . but the IDX and the outlaw have both similar performance , and if it came down to a dig i would grab the outlaw because its lighter , great video - you have left me very pleased with the outlaw, but also admiring the Idx a a very good detector and especially with that smaller coil on it it did well . if I see ay IDX pro at any garage sales i think i will pick one up .

I enjoyed your work on that test. I think it will help us all out a lot. Now we need to wait till all the others turn in there test... KEN

Great read on the NBPT.....http://ahrps.org/_tipsAndTechniques/Nail_Board_Performance_Test.pdf

idxpro said:
I kept all swings as even as possible and thought a medium swing was best. Slower was better for tesoro and faster was better for whites. ...

First, thanks for posting the video and opening the discussion. You did just fine left handed!!! Sweep speed can make a big difference on some detectors. The XL Pro that I have likes a little faster sweep but not too fast. The F75 LTD in boost mode is fine with a relaxed to slow sweep speed but ID's a little better with a little bit quicker sweep and when in the normal (not boost or cache modes) likes a fairly quick sweep. As you mentioned the Tesoro's tend to like a little slower sweep, at least that is true with the ones I have.

idxpro said:
The response to the indian head was only with minimal disc setting. Just barely rejecting the nails. For example, an indian on the outlaw, would be no problem with disc near zinc, but with the iron around it, no go. Same went for the whites. once get up near tab, the response is gone, where as the coin alone would normaly still give a good response. This was a very cool lesson for me. Good targets get maaked at a much lower disc with all of that iron around.

Yes and greatly skews the ID on target ID models; true on every ID detector I've tried. Very valuable observation that I hope many people try for themselves with their particular detector or detectors!

I have not been able to look at the .pdf's on the ahrps tips and techniques page. The page load stops and I am not getting an error message. Can't tell if the issue is at the site or is on my end. I'm hoping that is not the case when more results are available; I'd like to read Monte's instructions to see if he has inserted words of wisdom on detecting.
Cheers,
tvr

Have you tried simply typing ahrps.org? I know results have been slow to come in from some. I want to post threr but it won't let me log in. Something may be going on over there, dunno.

Viewing problem was on my end, old plug-in on browser wasn't pulling up the .pdf even though I could see other parts of the web site; now fixed.

I'll have to try the 4 nails in the ground vertically with a coin in the middle set up that Monte talks about in the text. I can almost guarantee that the two detectors I use most on the salt water beaches won't fair well.

Monte also mentions the real world issue of nails sitting on a plane above the desirable target, where as the nail board keeps the nails and target in one plane. Sure re-enforces that there are lots of variables to detection ability that can be considered when deciding how to set the discrimination, the choice of coil size and whether or not to dig on an ID number or a little chirp from one direction only.
Cheers,
tvr