Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nail Board Test Concentric & DD On Tesoro

Bill G

I am curious as to what everyone thinks on my thoughts here?

I have seen a ton of You Tube videos concerning this with the Tesoro line of detectors. What my conclusion is that most if not every time the Tesoro units do well and hit the mark on both coin positions on the nail board test with the Concentric coils be it big or small giving the edge to the smaller coils but the bigger Concentric coils pass with flying colors as well. The DD/Wide scan coils do ok in a few directions but fail on both coin positions on the nail board test in one place or the other or more on the swing patterns followed on the test. This outcome seems to be consistent throughout the hole line of Tesoro detectors.

I like both types of coils and they have there place for sure without going into the details of each. (Manufactures now days tend to be leaning towards the bigger DD/Wide scan coils as standard and some not even offering Concentric coil options). I have had great finds with my smaller DD coils such as the 7" and the 5x10 type DD/Wide scan coils in old iron trash infested house sites. With that said I am reconsidering going back to these places with the new 5.75 Concentric coil that I just ordered with my new Black Tesoro Tejon with the 8x11 RSD coil on it. I was even considered getting the 5x10 elliptical DD/Wide scan for the new Tejon, but may or may not need it? ( I suppose one can use them all depending on the situation and ground). I always use the smaller coils most times for my hunts because of the high trash content and save the bigger ones for big open areas with less trash.

Thanks in advance for everyone's opinion and take on this.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

I started with the standard coil on my Vaq and did pretty well.
Then I got a big DD to see if it could do better in the rough soil I used to hunt in.
Maybe a bit better but it's best feature was the size and coverage and it even alerted me to a gold ring in a huge area one time when I was swinging way to fast but heard it anyway.
I got a sniper 5.75 concentric because I hate hunting in pop top infested sites with DD's using Tesoros.
I found hunting in really heavy iron, and I mean a huge ridiculous amount, that small coil is extremely good...can't compare to a sniper widescan because I don't have one but I don't think I need it because mine seems to do so well in that environment.

I also loved the response and sensitivity of the little thing also.
In this vid I am using it on one of my first hunts and at the time also swinging way too fast trying to cover an area so large I was crazy to even think about using a sniper.
Still, I heard a nice solid tone even at high speed and then I went back to examine and then dig it a nice surprise popped up.
https://m.youtube.com/#/watch?v=FhPT55m2TOM

A great tool addition to any arsenal I think.

The concentrics seem to work better, with more accurate discrimination and better pinpointing. Tesoro's DDs are good for when you have really nasty mineralization and lots of small hot rocks. They also cover a greater area for a comparable coil size.
Given the choice and in mild to moderate soil conditions, on a Tesoro...concentrics whenever possible.

I've been thinking about getting the 5x10 ws for my Tejon. I have the 9x8 and 8" concentric. I like the 8" concentric and it's the only coil I'm using on my Tejon right now. Seems smoother. This coil is working so well I'm having a hard time deciding if the 5x10 would be worth getting. Probably better off getting the 5.75 concentric. My ground is mild too so my Tejon works great with concentric's.

Rick

The nail board test is great if you hunt predominately old trash sites that you can in theory only hunt with a small coil,it replicates the conditions very well,its a very good indicator on what the various detector/coil combinations can achieve,of course it will never be totally 100% accurate as its basically still a airtest but near as perfect as you will get,but of course in the real life scenario you could/can have also bad soil conditions thrown into the equation as well,but of course in the nail board test that cannot replicate that scenario ??

On clear open land when using either a stock or a larger size coil then the nail board test is about as good as a inflatable dartboard,so its only really any good if folks do just do trashy park or old town sites,most of my UK sites are clean pasture sites,so i would tend to run much bigger coils to gain the extra depth and would be no good on the nail board test,its a good useful test aid and can give a reasonable good indication on the merits of both Concentric and DD coils.If i am honest my personal choice is for DD coils,they may have some down side in terms of discrimination and depth but when covering a large farm field area the DD wins me over mainly because of the non critical over lapping of the coil.

Of course we all hunt different sites conditions,so we have too adapt our hunting style accordingly,a Tesoro with a small 6-7'' coil on would be no good on real deep ploughed land or pasture sites,but also saying that a TDI Pro with a large Mono coil on would be totally useless on a trash park environment.

Bill those NBT test results don't really surprise me. We all know that when a site is really trashy even a concentric coil (especially larger ones) can have masking issues when targets are close by or over-lapping each other. Some sites can be so trashy you may get a signal one direction of swing only regardless of the type of coil or size being used. As a general rule because of coil design the concentrics (especially smaller ones) have always been known to hunt trashy areas better than wide-scan coils overall. Wide-scan coils because of their detection area are more prone to see multiple targets at one time which can lead to masking issues in trashy areas. Concentric coils are also known to have better discrimination capabilities vs the wide-scan coils again because of coil design.

I'm not bashing wide-scan coils cause I used them a LOT out west prospecting in hotter ground while searching in all-metal mode not worrying about discrimination or picking up multiple signals at one time. Larger wide-scan coils can also benefit detectorists who are searching larger areas with known occupation sites for further investigation. In other words...trying to find the "hot-spots"!

Mega said:
The nail board test is great if you hunt predominately old trash sites that you can in theory only hunt with a small coil,it replicates the conditions very well,its a very good indicator on what the various detector/coil combinations can achieve,of course it will never be totally 100% accurate as its basically still a airtest but near as perfect as you will get,but of course in the real life scenario you could/can have also bad soil conditions thrown into the equation as well,but of course in the nail board test that cannot replicate that scenario ??

On clear open land when using either a stock or a larger size coil then the nail board test is about as good as a inflatable dartboard,so its only really any good if folks do just do trashy park or old town sites,most of my UK sites are clean pasture sites,so i would tend to run much bigger coils to gain the extra depth and would be no good on the nail board test,its a good useful test aid and can give a reasonable good indication on the merits of both Concentric and DD coils.If i am honest my personal choice is for DD coils,they may have some down side in terms of discrimination and depth but when covering a large farm field area the DD wins me over mainly because of the non critical over lapping of the coil.

Of course we all hunt different sites conditions,so we have too adapt our hunting style accordingly,a Tesoro with a small 6-7'' coil on would be no good on real deep ploughed land or pasture sites,but also saying that a TDI Pro with a large Mono coil on would be totally useless on a trash park environment.

Thank you and agree, great points.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G

Texadillo said:
Bill those NBT test results don't really surprise me. We all know that when a site is really trashy even a concentric coil (especially larger ones) can have masking issues when targets are close by or over-lapping each other. Some sites can be so trashy you may get a signal one direction of swing only regardless of the type of coil or size being used. As a general rule because of coil design the concentrics (especially smaller ones) have always been known to hunt trashy areas better than wide-scan coils overall. Wide-scan coils because of their detection area are more prone to see multiple targets at one time which can lead to masking issues in trashy areas. Concentric coils are also known to have better discrimination capabilities vs the wide-scan coils again because of coil design.

I'm not bashing wide-scan coils cause I used them a LOT out west prospecting in hotter ground while searching in all-metal mode not worrying about discrimination or picking up multiple signals at one time. Larger wide-scan coils can also benefit detectorists who are searching larger areas with known occupation sites for further investigation. In other words...trying to find the "hot-spots"!

Thank you and agree, great points.

Happy Hunting,
Bill G