Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Nails?

A

Anonymous

Why is the Explorer being fooled by nails, at least that what I see from reading the posts. I thought with the iron mask and the screen discriminating out nails it wouldn't sound off on em. Of course I still have not even taken my explorer outside yet but am just curious as to why this would happen. Thanks, Jim C.

Jim,
I feel it is because it is so sensitive in order to get the depth they have, it will be fooled like a lot of machine are. If I have the sensitivity too high on my Sovereign it too will be fooled by rusty nails.
I also notice in some areas it is worst then others like my GTI 2500 when I had it loved rusty crown caps and ID them as coin while in other parts of the county they had no problem with them. This is also true with the Explorer as some have a bigger problem than others with rusty nails. When I got mine I dug many many rusty nails and I think it was 3-5 nails per old coins untill I learn a few trick to tell if it is a nail or coin, now I still dig some rusty nail as I hate to leave any questionable signals, but not like it was before.
I have learn to check every deep and weak signal from different directions and if it only reapeat from one direction it is usaly a rusty nail. If it isnt a deep target than it is usaly not too hard to tell if it is good or bad.
With the 8 inch Stealth coil of Sunray I have had no real problem with the Rusty nails other than a bent one.
Good Luck when you are able to get out with it and remember it is differnt and it take time to fully understand it. I am still learning too.
Rick

Jim, I have used most all-major brand detectors on the market, including the XLT. If you dig iffy signals, you will dig nails with all of them. With practice you should not have a problem with the Explorer. Once in awhile I still have problems with old square nails, they sound iffy, just have to dig to make sure.
One thing for sure, the Explorer is like no other detector on the market. Get your head ready for a long learning curve, if you stick to it, you won

I agree with the other views here that the newer high sensitivity machines will have problems with false signals over trash, especially Iron. I have also felt that when a detector coil is swung over a nail, you are inducing a small magnetic field around the nail and and by its physical nature, the magnetic poles are at each end of the nail, where the detector seems to pinpoint over. Not that big of a deal, really, except when your sensitivity is set real high to process those super-deep faint signals, it will also start producing positive results over the faint junk signals. Still, in most situations, the iron falsing can be sorted out from the good target signals with practice and proper tuning of the detector. HH, Mike.

I use iron mask on zero and it goes right over those old nails even with the 10 1/2" coil. In air tests it still picks up small gold rings on that setting so that's what I use. The old square large nails seem to pick up but it can be taught to disc them out. -Dave

Jim, I relic hunt not coin hunt but the principal should still apply. I dig really deep relics and dig no nails. In the advanced mode go in and select Ferrous under the tone section I think. It is where you choose conductivity, continuous, or ferrous. If you do that all ferrous or iron targets give you a dead distinct sound but all the good stuff will still come through with higher pitched tones. Last week I was detecting a hunted out bulldozed area that was litterd with civil war and modern trash signals. 3" away from an iron signal I dug a minnie ball 12" Hope this helps.
Jerry

were extremely deep and the signal was questionable, not a good coin signal.Any shallow ones were weird signals that i wasnt sure what it was.Ive been very happy with my explorer:))