Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Name a Tesoro that you have never owned/tried, but would like to......

.....and why? Also, what is your favorite Tesoro detector, and why?
Just thought I might have a little fun. The Tesoro talk lately hasn't been very upbeat with all there troubles. Thought I would try and lighten the mood. Anyhow, there is no secret that I love Tesoro metal detectors. I have owned a bunch. Some I kept a while and some I traded/sold off. Heck, It's mostly the only detectors I have owned. There is just something about there uniqueness that appeals to me.
I will make an attempt to list all that I have owned but I may have forgotten a couple along the way.

Vaquero (purchased new, my first Tesoro)
3 Compadre's ( one with the 8" donut and one with the 6" bought new , and one flea market find 7" coil.)
2 Golden Sabre's
Golden Sabre Plus (still own)
Bandido 2 (non-uMax)
Silver Sabre
Golden uMax (old tone)
2 Deleon's (still own one)
Tejon
Royal Sabre
Cutlass
Lobo

My favorite so far is a tie for Golden Sabre Plus and Vaquero. I love the adjustable tone break on the Golden Sabre Plus and it has respectable depth. The audio of the older units sound sweet to my ears. The Vaquro was my first Tesoro and I loved it's depth and ability to pick out deep, good targets in the trash.

As for the one I would like to try. Old metal box Eldorado. I have heard it is a deep machine and I just like the old metal box machines for what ever reason. Thanks for playing along. Let's hear your thoughts!!

Often felt I wanted a Golden, had a chance couple years ago, but couldn't pull the trigger. What happened was the Mojave came out.Traded my Compardre for one. Now gonna take a hard look at a Vista X.

I had a Vaquero but didn't like the low tone sound and sold it. I'm thinking of getting another one with the high tone option. Currently have a Mojave with 4 coil options and a 8" Compadre. I have interest in Silver Sabre Umax and Golden Umax.

I have never tried a H.O.T.circuitry Tesoro for starters but have always wanted to try a Pantera. The Tesoro's I do own are the original (metal box) Eldorado, original Stingray, original Bandido, Diablo Micro-max, Lobo ST and Tiger Shark. Like you I also enjoy the modulated audio versus saturated audio which is one of the reasons I still enjoy using my original Bandido for coin/jewelry hunting...that audio is very descriptive!

Texadillo said:
I have never tried a H.O.T.circuitry Tesoro for starters but have always wanted to try a Pantera. The Tesoro's I do own are the original (metal box) Eldorado, original Stingray, original Bandido, Diablo Micro-max, Lobo ST and Tiger Shark. Like you I also enjoy the modulated audio versus saturated audio which is one of the reasons I still enjoy using my original Bandido for coin/jewelry hunting...that audio is very descriptive!
How do you like the Eldorado?

My first Tesoro was the Vaquero and I was impressed by its
design, operation, and performance.
I have the high tone model and really like it.
I have read about the Eldorado which was replaced by the Vaquero
before I started the hobby.
I liked the features on this detector and wanted to try a one, I finally came across
one for sale a few years ago and bought it and still have it along with the Vaquero.
I am pretty content with these two machines, but I would like to try the Toltec (I believe this is the correct name)
with the meter.....have read great things about that detector also.

How do you like the Eldorado?[/quote]

I really enjoyed my original Eldorado which was purchased new when I was stationed in Nevada. I explained to the local dealer that I was looking for an All-Purpose type detector cause I also wanted to try some nugget hunting along with coin/relic hunting...he suggested the Eldorado. He use to nugget hunt around NW Arizona with the original Fisher Gold Bug and his wife used a Tesoro Mayan. I noticed with the original Eldorado...if the sensitivity knob is increased from minimum to maximum...you don't see an increase in depth but you hear the target increase in audio volume. It has the older D-90 discriminate circuitry (pre-ED120 discriminate circuitry) but thru the years it found me some nice targets and it just kept me addicted to the hobby I'm happy to say :>)

I always wanted to try the Cortez. I think the sum mode would be cool to play with even though its not a full time disc. mode feature. My favorite is the Golden uMax with the New tones. I feel the New tone models are at least a inch hotter for some reason. Also I am a big tone I.D. guy. I always say give Me tone I.D. and some modulated audio and I don't need a meter.

I like Harold above would like to play with the Cortez. Have seven Tesoro’s already and throughly enjoy them all. Anyone who metal detects and has not used a Tesoro is missing out on a lot of fun. JMHO

:thumbup:
Harold said:
I always wanted to try the Cortez. I think the sum mode would be cool to play with even though its not a full time disc. mode feature. My favorite is the Golden uMax with the New tones. I feel the New tone models are at least a inch hotter for some reason. Also I am a big tone I.D. guy. I always say give Me tone I.D. and some modulated audio and I don't need a meter.

Tenon. I had installed a tab check secondary switch on my Silver micro max and had it set to where it was pretty close to notch detectors. Could then use as beep/dig or notch- and have adjustable g/b also.

Cortez! It still gives a target ID in all-metal mode, which ground balances. That and The Tejon. The Pantera or Golden Sabre II would be nice to try as well because of the adjustable tone break feature.

I currently own the Golden Micromax, which I love, but it has just average depth in my neck of the woods. I own and like the Mojave, for it’s power and simplicity, and I own the Outlaw, which I sold and then bought back from the nice gentleman who purchased it from me. It’s ok, don’t have enough time on it to be a fair judge.

Like many here, I'd like to try a Cortes. I have a DeLeon and like it, but think the Cortes's extra target bars would be handy when searching for small gold. And the Sum feature seems pretty neat. I'd also like an Eldorado (small box), Bandido II Umax or a Pantera. And a Sand Shark. It's hard to want only one more Tesoro :)

As for my favourite Tesoro, the Tejon is probably the last one I'd part with if I had to have only one. It can be a bit squirrelly, but is capable of handling almost all of my hunting scenarios. The Mojave and Golden Umax would be close seconds, though; both are a ton of fun!

-Ken

moomba said:
Toltec 100 . Any thoughts on this one ?

One of the best analog meters ever made for separation from nickel to pull tab. Nicknamed the 'brick on a stick' due to it's ergonomics or lack there of. Would tip over if laid down on uneven surface. Was Tesoro's top of the line in the late 1980s. My second metal detector. Started finding the older nickels and depth was above average to most metal detectors of that era.
There is/was one on the big auction website,but I seen where someone used 2-9V batteries instead and that probably blew the power limiter circuits. Only Mr. Wills can repair them now.

always wanted a silver umax think in the past I heard it was the perfect frequency but I could have that confused with another model.

Tejon.
Never pulled the trigger.
Now if I don't act fast I may never get to try one.

I agree. Great machine with tons of functionality. A little heavy on the arm, so, I always wore as a hip mount. I still play with it once in awhile. It was always a blast comparing what the meter 'thought' things were, and what I actually found. A little time in the field, and it's surprising how often and accurate it turned out to be. Great trash area machine, and like my older golden, notch was helpful in 'limiting' some of the trash, and in some cases, reverse notch came in handy when I was looking for something someone lost... .assuming they had a sample for me to set to. Cleaning out the closets now, and way to many machines to keep. Probably be letting this as well as few other Tesoro's loose.