Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

National Guard medal 1914

zaxfire69

Well I have been detecting an area for several months now. I have dug bullets, buttons and camp items in this area. I have always wondered why all these finds were surfacing. Well today on September 11th i found the item that dated my site. The item I found is an old National Guard Medal. It is from 1914. .That is a heck of a long time to be in the ground. Wait till you see the condition it was in. Decent for being almost 100 years old. Very cool and probably a one of a kind. I doubt that there are many of these floating around. Check out my video on youtube as well. Not very great, but it shows the item. Fullscreen it for a better view. Thanks everyone.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3IzxV4JvH58

b642c21d.jpg

a77929ff.jpg

Wow nice piece , amazing the color is still there. Great find on such a important day of remembrance HH

Thanks Stryker47. Now I have to do the leg work and go see if I can find a newspaper article from the local library showing this Encampment.

UPDATE!!
Stopped at the local library today and found the original paper from 1914 with the encampment title on the front page and a write up about the event. Very cool to have found the paper from those few days in 1914. Very big deal around here back then. Thanks for looking guys.

cab85b0d.jpg

734b3966.jpg

Very Cool find!!!

Great find you have there.
I bet among collectors that find as some value.
Have you checked on e-bay yet?
Salida

No Salida. I have a feeling that there are not many examples of this particular piece still around. This is one event that happened in my town of Natchez, Mississippi. It was a big deal to our town back then. All the stores and clothing stores that advertised in the newspaper had what they called Encampment specials, sale items in other words. Just a way to attract attention to their store during this event. There is so little information on the actual event. I emailed the Mississippi Department of History and Archives. The fellow I talked to there said I was probably going to have a hard time finding out information about the event. I was looking for a picture. I found one picture of the Governor at the time at the event. All the papers from the time are on Microfilm. They covered the event extensively. I will post some of the finds I have found from the area over the last year or so. Very interesting. I would like to know what kind of value collectors would give me for a piece such as this.