Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEEBIE NEEDS HELP:

A

Anonymous

Hey Guys & Gals, I am a relatively new MXT User, and have been using mine since last OCT. A couple of questions. First, is there any good after market products that are out there, that one can get to cover the MXT Monitor, that will tint it, or that will cut down on the glare? I've tried using a plastic bag, doesn't work, and I've called Steve at WHITES Electronics Customer Svc., and he didn't know of any. With all the things being done with plastic, I find it hard to be that someone hasn't designed either a tinted cover or a tinted plastic strip. That one could place over the window to shade it, so it would be more legible. Alsois there a product out there to cover the control box, that would still provide reasonable access to the control knobs?
Finally, I am a avid beach/water hunter, and I use the Minelab Excalibur primarily for that form of hunting. I have been doing some old home
and farm field hunting for a little over a year, and that is what I bought the MXT for. I tried to do my homework and all the decent detectors with a monitor screen readout before I bought any. After 3 months of research, especially reading the MXT Forum (Jim McCull./Rick(ND)/ and Art(SC) comments and advice on this forum), I went to a WHITES Dealer, and tried out the MXT. I know anyone has to spend time with any detector to learn what it is telling you. Yesterday, I hunted an old colonial farm field, now a gun club range, then went to an old colonial plantation, now a construction site for a park. I had alot of trouble with the meter bouncing around for target id. I know this is how the machine reacts alot when in trashy target areas. I've tried hunting in Relic Mode, GB-Track, Disc-3, Trigger both middle/forward. Also, Coin-Jewelry Mode, Disc-3. Trigger-Forward, and Ground Track, using a 6x9 DD
Coil, but it still seems to be irratic.
Any help and advice would be appreciated. HH/LOL/
NamVetLes.

A couple of thing come to mind, first the sensitivity being too high for the area you are in. You want a smooth threshold and not real erradic so you understand the detector better and then turn it up. There is very few places i can run in the plus numbers.
Another thing is to get a good repeatable signal before looking at the meter, if not it will be jumping all over while scanning. Another is if it is real trashy you will have to use a smaller coil as too many target signal under the coil at one time.
Rick

Welcome to the MXT forum. There are some great folks on here who will provide you a wealth of information. Hopefully I can help out with the glare from the display. I bought the vinyl covers for my MXT and for the display when I bought my machine. I always try to protect my investment, whether it be detector, meter or coils. The one I bought has what appears to be a clear "window" on the face, allowing you to read the display. Even though it appears to be transparent, it seems to knock down all the reflection and glare. I bought mine from JW at Kellyco, but I would think that most Whites dealers could get you one. As to the erratic noise, Rick had a good suggestion with turning down the threshold a bit. One other thing you might try is to turn down the gain a little. I know that max gain typically provides max depth, but max depth don't mean squat if you find yourself ignoring what the machine it telling you because it chatters all the time. It may be that when you have the gain too high, the ground is causing some falsing, thus chatter. Might give that a try. HH

In response to the glare, if you go to a camera store they sell covers that go on lcd screens that would work for the readout on the mxt. you know i never thought about it untill you asked this question so ill have to try it my self too.

The other item you might have to change of course is to LOCK ground tracking. When your machine is bouncing readings all over, and chattering at you too much to be useable, try ground balancing in a known empty spot of ground and LOCK the tracking.
Good luck!

If there is alot of man made iron it is best to ground balance and lock it so it is not trying to track all the iron. I also find that if you like going over a weak target trying to get a good ID or decideing if you should dig or not it too will try tracking that signal and you will lose it. In these cases too I have to mark the spot and move and ground balance and lock it and come back to get a very good signal.
Thanks for adding that Bill.
Rick

Hey Digger how's it going? I really appreciate you taking the time to respond. In regards to the monitor cover, and the control box cover. I read several months ago on this forum, that someone had purchased Kellyco MXT Monitor/Control Box Covers. They stated that the monitor cover had alot of glare, and that they stopped using it. Don't take that the wrong way, I'm not trying to challenge your advice, I'm just stating a fact. I haven't found anyone personally, who has one, so I'm just trying to protect myself from any unnecessary purchases. Digger, how does the control box cover work, does it allow you to use the control knobs?
Thanks for any further imput, lol,hh.
NamVetLesTreasureSeeker

Hey Rick, thanks alot for the help. I'm going to look into those lcd covers. Are the covers you are talking about like a hooded cover, or some kind of insert, that slips over the LCD window. Many Thanks, LOL/HH.
NamVetLesTreasureSeeker

To RICK, DIGGER, BILL(KY), and RICK(ND), MANY THANKS Guys for the heartfelt welcome to the forum. I really appreciate all the advice, and I'm going to follow through on it, and give it a try. LOL/HH. NamVetLesTreasureSeeker

They are like a piece of polarized plastic paper that some how sticks to the lcd screen probally like the stuff they put on cell phone lenses and stuff it probally just clings somehow because they come like 10 to a pack so you can change them

Not taken as a challenge and don't be hesitant to ask questions. I really like the display cover that I got from JW. As I said, it doesn't appear to be dark tinted, but it fits loose enough on the meter face that the "airgap" between the actual face of the display and the clear cover seem to neutralize any reflection. The primary purpose I bought the set is because I had read several reports of guys scratching the face of their display and don't want my stuff scratched up. Same with the cover for the detector. But, the housing cover isn't the ideal cover. Not like a glove on a hand or the cover on my MInelabs by any means. This one kind of folds around the housing from the top and the bottom flaps have velcro to allow you to snug it and fasten it together. There are slits in the vinyl allowing for the knobs to stick through, but it is difficult to read the instructions and labels on the top of the machinewith it all bundled up. As I said, not the ideal set up. But, it does keep the dust and scratches off the housing when hunting in rugged terrain. The display cover works well for me. But I am not sure I would spend the money for another housing cover. If you look back through the forums, maybe you could find out who took their cover off when they didn't like it. Email them and they might send it to you. HH

THEY GOT GREEN SARAN WRAP THAT I USE FOR MINE, COST NEXT TO NOTHING

Hey Digger, thanks again for the follow-up. I'll have to check my metal detecting library, and see if my Kellyco Catalog has those items listed. Just a thought, if you cut out the slits in the vinyl, so that you could read the labeling around the knobs and switches. Do you think that would make the cover more worthy of the expense? That way it would still protect the control housing from alot of the dust/dirt, and thus keep it from getting scratched up. These are just some thoughts that popped up into my head, but not actually seeing the cover, I don't know if this is feasible or not. Thanks again for all your help and imput. LOL/HH. NamVetLesTreasureSeeker.

Try a set of polarized sunglasses. Cuts the glare off the water, off windshields, etc.
A.G.