Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need a scoop recommendation please

Digger54

Hi;

I was hoping to get a recommendation for a beach scoop. I know I want a long handled one that does not need to be broken down. I estimate I will be hunting the following ratio on the Fla treasure coast and also SC beaches: surf (SC only) 10%, wet sand 70%, dry sand 20%. Although I am primarily a dry land relic hunter I plan on expanding my hobby for occasional beach hunting. Budget not an issue. I will be using a Sovereign GT.

Here you go http://www.rtgstore.com/rtgroyalscoops.htm Enjoy!

get the one with the steel tip 6" will last u for a long time

i bought the RTGBB6 from RTG. The 6" bucket was a must for me, the 5" i found was too small. weight was also a factor, for me. the stainless steel scoops are nice, no question about it, but i did not want to lug around a 7-9 lb scoop.

i am guessing that you are about to be bombed with every manufacturer and everyone's reasoning for buying their scoop. good luck, and HH. :detecting:

I use rtg 7". I added a grab bar extension. Only issue is its heavy...but no big dea.. they make aluminum ones. theres plenty of other scoops. one thing is...really really rocky areas are unworkable imo...i just stay away from them. hh -joe

I recommend this one, you could request they install a stainless steel lip. This would be perfect for wet, damp, or dry sand. I use the Stainless Monster 6, which is a great scoop, very heavy with a scoop full of wet sand in it, but well worth the weight. I watched quite a few videos on beach scooping and found that with the right technique any water scoop will do just fine in dry/damp sand. But the screen in the bottom will definitely help sift the sand quickly. Also I recommend a magnet of some kind fastened inside the scoop for those tiny iron objects that you tend to loose while sifting.

RTG PRO ALUMINUM-SCREEN BOTTOM 6" WATER SCOOP (#RTG6scr)

Here is our new style built better aluminum 6" water scoop. It is a lightweight shallow water and beach scoop. The aluminum bucket has 5/8" diameter holes punched into the sides and the back of the scoop. The bucket of the sand scoop is 6 " in diameter by 11" long. The aluminum 1-1/4" diameter handle is welded to the top of at a 20 degree so you can use your foot on the back of this scoop to push it into the sand. There is a T-top reinforced aluminum bar to give this scoop durability. On the bottom of the scoop we added 1/2" heavy duty welded screen with a 1/4" protective curved bar for a foot plate. The screen will help you sift the wet sand easier. The handle is 40" long with an over length of 48" long. The handle has an rubber hand grip for comfort. Made in the U.S.A. by Reilly's Treasured Gold. Give this one a try, you'll fall in love with the lightness and how duable it is! This scoop weighs 4-1/2 pounds. This is an excellent choice for a long handle scoop. We are offering a 90 day limited warranty against manufacturing defects on this scoop.
http://www.rtgstore.com/scoops/rtgbb6screenbig5.jpg

From any of the sponsors you can purchase a quality scoop. I prefer a bucket with drilled holes to sift the sand and not the wire mesh type. A stainless scoop will give you years of service but aluminum is lighter. As previous mentioned choose a stainless steel lip for your aluminum scoop for durability.

I have a Reilly's scoop and the Nuttall Diamond head.

BCOOP

Im digging my nuttall diamond head. It'll last forever but is a bit heavy. My left arm gets quite a workout. In a year im gonna look like a fiddler crab. lol

don't buy RTG (Royal) the handle diameter is to small for bucket size. SC beach bent mine. Also consider 9/16 holes or less as the 5/8 holes allow small rings to pass through.

[attachment 198475 bellyofthebeastresizedRevC.jpg]

Has lots of small sq. holes. Catches the small stuff better than any other scoop.

[attachment 198476 STUDS720.jpg]

Is pretty darn strong and not to heavy.

[attachment 198477 frontquarteringviewF250parkedonRevC.resized.jpg]

I use the large one but it does come in a smaller size also.

[attachment 198478 FRBVolumeinProScoop.jpg]

I've had mine for several years and it is no worse for the wear.

Steve :)

Weight should not be an issue with a scoop if you drag it behind on a string, leaves a nice trail of where you've been too and is out of the way so no falsing

Made by a company in Kalamazoo, Michigan called Magnum. I just bought one of them a week ago....for me and the terrain I hunt I will never have to buy another scoop.....just replace the handle every so often. Super heavy duty food grade stainless steel. There is not a tougher scoop on the market......period!!!!

Kellyco Chick just made a offer for a discount price on long handled scoop for forum members.

Just might be what you are looking for.

cuzzi25 said:
Im digging my nuttall diamond head. It'll last forever but is a bit heavy. My left arm gets quite a workout. In a year im gonna look like a fiddler crab. lol

Thanks for all the input! A lot of tough choices but I settled for a diamond head with a 48" handle. I'm 6'2" so I wanted something tough and long enough and it looks like the diamond head fits the bill for me. I ordered one through www.golddiggermetaldetectors.com. who gave me a good price on it.

Again thanks for the responses.

kaptainkosmic said:

Has lots of small sq. holes. Catches the small stuff better than any other scoop.

I have this scoop also...its manufactured here in Michigan in the Kalamazoo area. Built like a tank!!! Some dealers sell it under the manufacture name of Magnum Products.

itsaawgood said:
kaptainkosmic said:

I have this scoop also...its manufactured here in Michigan in the Kalamazoo area. Built like a tank!!! Some dealers sell it under the manufacture name of Magnum Products.
**********************************************************************************************************************************************************************************
I also have this scoop and it is virtually indestructible 9" wide and catches everything. Why spend all that effort to snag a small ring or earring only to have it fall through the holes of the scoop. Kaptainkosmic turned me on to this one. I added a 52" wooden handle on it and carry it on my shoulder. either on the beach or in the wet sand. EZ