Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need advice on a new Tesoro

hannibal31

I would like some info on a new Tesoro detector purchase. I have never owned a Tesoro. My main detecting will be coins and jewelry. Would like to keep the cost under $700. I am looking at the Outlaw----what does everyone think?

Good budget you have there. I had never owed a Tesoro until late last year and bought the Compadre. The machine has been wonderful and certainly simple to use. For your $700.00 buy a Compare for each hand and you still have plenty left for other goodies. Seriously it's a darn nice little unit for the money and mine has more than paid for itself in findings.

If you are just wanting a nice Tesoro for coins and Jewelry then the Outlaw will work as well as the Silver µmax, Cibola, Vaquero, Deleon, Cortes , Compadre , Tejon seriously they are all under your amount and all great coin machines . Oh and don't rule out all the older models that are still out there available HH

Do not rule out used and with that budget a pinpointer is a must as I went my first year without one. Garrett Pinpointer Pro was a great addition to the Vaquero.
Minas man

well a vaquero would be a good choice as it will get deep , much deeper than the outlaw and is very powerful , it picked things out of Iron my other machines missed

Advice? Heck Hannibal, I'm full of it!! :tongue:

But seriously, Tesoro makes a lot of great detectors.

Which one is best is only limited by what you expect it do.

If you are into digging deep holes, the Vaquero or the Tejon are the masters of depth on coin targets with great sensitivty to smaller gold targets.

If you want to limit your hunting to around 6" depth, for coins and jewlery, the Compadre and DeLeon are good chocies (beyond 6" and the accuracy of the TID screen starts to taper off, which is true almost every model from every manufacturer).

If you need manual ground balance, the Outlaw, Vaquero, and Tejon are all great ground balance machines.

If you are coin and jewlery hunting in fresh water: get the Tiger Shark. For salt water: the Sand Shark (but know it is a PI detector therefore it is a "dig it all" machine).

Hope that helps.

Vaquero

tabman

:cool: Tesoro is coming out with a new model that might be worth getting if we just knew what features it had. I think it will be called Cazador ...(or something like that)...I dunno,..the announcement was so long ago that I can't remember...:wiggle:

Don't be mislead by the above comment on the Deleon. While it's true that the accuracy of the display diminishes with depth, don't think that you won't find targets deeper than that. I've found many dimes between 8 and 9". The deepest coin I found with my Tejon this year was a measured 10". So the Deleon is close and certainly no slouch in the depth category. However, remember that it has preset GB, so if your ground is heavily mineralised you might get reduced results.

The Outlaw is a good choice I have the three coil Outlaw package and also have the 7 inch DD Wide Scan coil for it. The Outlaw is a great little detector and it is very smooth in iron trash and will get targets other detectors miss in iron trash areas. The depth is real good just a little less depth than the Vaquero but the depth loss between the two detectors is minimal. I feel in most conditions the Outlaw gives up nothing to the Vaquero having owned both and feel the outlaw lower frequency is better for coin shooting as the Vaquero is a better relic unit.

The Outlaw will give you more for the dollar spent in the small body line of detectors.

Best of luck all the Tesoro are fine detectors but the Outlaw and the Vaquero have the better ground balance capability's of the small body detectors.

Bill G :detecting:

My review bellow of the Outlaw in the field at an old house site.

Just going to confirm how well the Outlaw does at older sites with a lot of pieces of iron trash in the ground. One of the older areas I go to has a grip of iron trash all around the area is from the late 1800 through today. ( an old Oil Boom town ) A lot of the house's have been tore down and bulldozed. Years ago before modern regulation requirements they just dug a hole and pushed the home into the hole and covered it, these house sites are a nightmare for detectors.The outlaw with the 7" wide scan DD did a very respectable job in this iron trash area better than some other detectors I have hunted this area with over the years. It did pull 6 Wheat's dating in the 1950's and several pennies from the sixties some nickels and dimes more modern from the 1970 & 1980 and old cooper items little valves and fittings. Also as normal it pulled out a lot of the normal trash items associated with these kinds of sites.

The Outlaw pulled several small pieces of brass and other metals out of the sites as well. It really surprises me sometimes how we'll the Outlaw does on small items.

I give the Outlaw a big :thumbup: for it's over all performance. It runs smooth steady and pretty stable considering the amounts of small iron trash I was hunting in. You could hear it disking the iron out while sweeping the coil. I find working it slower and steady is when you get the good tone between the iron trash pieces. I dug several targets with pieces of iron trash in the same hole, not bad at all.

Happy Hunting To All, :detecting:
Bill G

Every find is a good find, some are just great !!!!

Reply Quote

Remember that probably 90% of all good finds are located close to the surface (within the first 5"). So unless you plan to relic hunt, I wouldn't worry too much about whether your machine will go deep.

If you don't mind buying used then a modded cibola is the way to go. I just happen to have one posted in the classifieds here.:thumbup:

I did not say the DeLeon will not go beyond six inches. I said past six inches the accuracy of T I D starts to fall off. Big difference.

I was also thinking of the Vaquero. I been a Whites user for 15 years and would like to branch out and get a 2nd detector. Tesoro has a loyal following and I was always fascinated by their products. My only concern is the 9V battery. Is there a rechargeable 9V on the market? I know I would go thru those in a heartbeat.

My Cibola chews through batteries a lot faster than my Golden, Eldorado or Outlaw (did). If I was buying a new Tesoro out of the current lineup, I think I would go for an Outlaw, especially with the 3 coil deal.

i had 5 hundred to spend. so, i got a vaquero and am happy with it. with 7 hundred you can get an extra coil with it. the stock 9x8 works very well though. battery last a good while as long as you do not supertune it. which i dont do anyhow.

They are very reliable and well built machines no question about that and i own 2 of these detectors albeit they are not new ones,but if i am completely honest i dont think i would buy another new one as they 'dont' seem to be producing any new technology,and i am afraid in the detecting market you do have to bring out something totally new rather than revamping old models again and again.

The new Cazador if it ever gets off the ground could well be a game changer for them,but dont hold your breath,the Outlaw does seem good value for money though.

The 9 volt battery will last 6 to 8 hours without headphones. With headphones they should last longer, I would think.

With an alkaline 9 volt I get around 20 hours on either my Eldorado 'Umax' or Silver Umax with headphones. About 10 hours without headphones. I usually change them out after 2-3 good hunts. It is easy to carry an extra 9 volt battery in my pouch. Also my pin pointer takes 9 volts, so that is convenient.

With rechargeable 9 volts I only get about 10 hours.