Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Advice On Detecting Tall Grass

Clad Daddy

I got permission to hunt an old farm site this weekend. It looked perfect from the road, but upon viewing the place up close, I found a problem. the grass close to the house is thick, green sedge grass with briars mixed in tha are over knee high which only allows for sticking the coil in thin spots but no room to swing. The nearby field had been bushhogged but the stubble was at least 5" high. Anybody have suggestions?

My brother and myself had a place we wanted to hunt so we loaded up the lawn mowers and cut grass for couple hours and then got the detectors out for a few hours of detecting. Can't remember for sure if it was worth while or not.

Ron in WV

protect yourself from ticks.

A small coil may help you get closer to the ground

I just thought of this I had read one time about a guy that had a four by eight piece of plywood maybe it was smaller than that but I don't remember.. Anyhow, he would lay it down and detect through it

Outside of mowing, I'd wait for winter....?

Works like a charm and doesn't take long to cut where you want to detect each trip there. Rake up cut area so you can get to the ground..

I saw a video somewhere of a guy using a 4X8 sheet of plywood. Lay it down on top the grass. Stand on the plywood. Detect thru it and then flip it over to cover a new area. It appeared to work for him. I have tried detecting tall grass by pressing down on the coil and I was worn out in just a few minutes.

I don't like detecting in tall grass. In the summer I can do without surprises, like from snakes.
If it's not such a big area, a weed wacker might do the job.
Robt2300

Hi Clad Daddy, My first thought , which works pretty good for some folks, is the plywood, but another way that may work is a small piece of tough Canvas Tarp, that would be much lighter and easier to pack into places where you have to walk to that may be grassy. Just spread the canvas and stomp it down best you can and start swinging. Not perfect, but a little something to be between your feet than those nasty crawler critters. HH, Charlie.

I like that plywood trick short of mowing the grass, That's a good idea there...I guess a sheet of 1/4 luan or even 3/8 CDX would do the trick, be somewhat light, easy to haul and flip, hey, I guess a fellow could even sort of cut a few oval type holes in it to sort of drag it easier, or just one right in the middle to sling it up under the arm for transport...3/8 3ply fir would probably be better and more durable than the 1/4 luan if a fellow had some hard grass to stomp down on.
Mud

Oh my gosh..what advice! Bringing lawnmowers and weedeaters sheets of plywood, are you serious? You guys are as bad as the wrestler Rick Savage, don't forget your jackhammer and backhoe gentleman!

Google "how to make crop circles" utube.. Thats lighter and easier than plywood..

That's funny...

Yes, plywood is heavy...

Have a UFO land they excel at crop circles LOL:rofl:

A simple lit match would be enough. Of course you can't just burn grass. Or can you?

Perhaps you can roll a long log across the field - I hear lodgpole pines are best.

Try attracting migrating waterfowl to land in the field. Or herds of deer. They will tramp down the grass and they're good eat'n to boot.

If nothing else works and you want to do it the hard way .... wait for winter when the grass naturally dies back.