Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need advice on replacing view screen on a Fisher CZ-5

I got a very beat up junker [cosmetically] from a for sale ad, that said "VERY NICE"
I was too trusting, or stupid to ask for some closeup pictures, so I ended up with a very unsightly CZ-5
Anyway, I can live with all the scratches and discolorations etc, but the ID screen is so scratched and scuffed-plus had a layer of debris [dust-crap?] on even the inside, that I'd like to change it out, so I can see the meter. Anyone ever do this? If so, can you tell me how?
I don't want to attempt anything, without advice.
Thanks!

Where you going to get the new screen? I've been looking for a meter for a mod with no luck. If you find any parts let me know.

Rob (IL) said:
Where you going to get the new screen? I've been looking for a meter for a mod with no luck. If you find any parts let me know.

I don't know? Thought if I could get the old one out, I could find some material to make of from plexiglass or pay to have a glass cutter make one?

Hi,
You could try using a clear plastic lens meant for welding helmets.
These come with protective foil, so using a jigsaw to cut it to exact size won

It's been a while since I had my CZ5. But can't you just buy a thin .010 acrylic or lexan sheet off of ebay or your local hobby shop? Then cut it about 1/4 larger than the screen. Then use a knife and cut the screen out over the meter and with a little bead of silicone glue the new screen in place? Also you could buy a new one for a CZ3d?

Hi,
I would hesitate to use a knife to remove the old meter cover.
Dremel makes tiny cut off wheels for their grinders that you do not need to use force with when using them.
When you glue the new screen on, use glue sparingly and let it set up/cure before placing the new screen onto the meter.
Should you find the new mating surface unsightly, you could mask it off with tape and make a "frame" with a black Edding marker pen.
hh
skookum

I talked to Tom Dankowski - the inventor of the CZ-3d while working at Fisher.
He suggested I not try doing it. I will most likely have problems. So, I'm gonna just live with it. BUT, I may try the toothpaste cleaning thing! I did that on my car headlights already!
Thanks!
Chuck

I was thinking the meter cover was just a clear part of the face decal? In this case a knife would make a clean cut easily. I wouldn't use a rotary tool.

If your going to polish it I would use the Novus system of 3 grits. Can be bought at auto parts stores or ebay. Is the meter cover hard plastic or a clear part of the face decal? I don't remember?

Hi,
If you read the original post careful:
Quote-
but the ID screen is so scratched and scuffed-plus had a layer of debris [dust-crap?] on even the inside, that I'd like to change it out, so I can see the meter.

You can polish the outside until you numb, it ain

Hi,
Of course that would help.
It

I bought a used CZ-6 and it's meter lense was a bit hazy(light scratches). I sent it to Keith Wills to be replaced. He told me that the lense and control box decal was one unit. I did this 3 years ago.

The inside debris is gotta stay, as long as I cant remove the screen and Tom Dankowski told me not to try.
However, if I could remove even 1000 of the 2000 scratches, or make them less obvious, by polishing, that would make it easier to see through.
It's not impossible now, just not good!
I got a couple of suggestions here and I'm gonna research more-so I don't make it worse!
I checked the screen, it's not part of a decal, but the whole faceplate may well be one clear piece of plexiglass, with the knob names etc stenciled or whatever onto it.
Thanks for your input everyone. I had hoped someone had done some sort of mod to a CZ and therefore knew about taking it apart. Tom Dankowski has, of course, and he said not to attempt taking it apart.
Thanks again!
Chuck

skookum said:
Hi,
If you read the original post careful:
Quote-
but the ID screen is so scratched and scuffed-plus had a layer of debris [dust-crap?] on even the inside, that I'd like to change it out, so I can see the meter.

You can polish the outside until you numb, it ain

Chuck said:
I got a couple of suggestions here and I'm gonna research more-so I don't make it worse!
I checked the screen, it's not part of a decal, but the whole faceplate may well be one clear piece of plexiglass, with the knob names etc stenciled or whatever onto it.

Keith Wills of www.brokendetector.com has the control face panel and meter window overlay. Here are his exact words in an email to me.

"Still have new faceplates with windows and decals for the Fisher CZ6A in stock. Cost on faceplate and decal is $27.00"

That was a couple years back. If you want it done RIGHT,I would personally do this. Just trying to help

this may be a stupid question but, have you called fisher to see what they could do for you? they have done great things for me!!!!!!!!

the dust and debris could probably be blown out with compressed air?

i have had my cz6a apart a few times and it was very easy and once opened everything was easily accessible!!!!

chuck.

I had one about 15 years ago and didn't remember how the screen was installed. I hunted with my brother and he still has his CZ5 so I looked at it. It's thick plastic so all you have to do is buy some 240, 400, 800 and 1200 grit wed dry paper. Start by taping the screen off so you don't scratch the decal. Then start sanding the screen and progress all the way up to 1200 grit. Use soapy water as a lube while sanding. Then use a car polish when done. It should be glass smooth and clear except for the inside dirt.... I have everything here to do it. So if you pay the shipping both ways I will polish your screen for free.