Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEED ADVICE on STING RAY STRIKES:

ANYBODY have any Experiences with STING RAY STRIKES? If so, what BEACHES, and in what STATE in the U.S.? A friend of mine got hit by a
Sting Ray while Water Detecting in the Gulf of Mexico, at a Florida Beach, North of the Tampa Bch. Area. He has be Water Detecting for approx.
30 yrs. without any incidents!! Although, most of his Water Detecting has been in the Cheapeake Bay!! ALSO, is anyone using the product called
STING RAY GUARDZ, and what do you think of them? Are they worth the investment? MANY THANKS for the feedback!! HH, Les Robinson

I will no longer work the water without stingray guards. After a friend told me about when she got hit, and what I read, I never go in the water without.

I stepped on one and luckily it just swam off without stabbing me.

Sorry to hear that, but yes it is that time of the year again. The best thing to do is SLIDE YOUR FEET across the bottom as you move along to prevent from stepping on them. Also sweep your coil back and forth across the bottom as you go into the water. It's the little sand colored stingrays that will get you. If you get stung from the barb pour HYDROGEN PEROXIDE into the wound site to neutralize the pain and sterilize it. If the barb is still there and goes all the way through, you can push it out the other side. If it goes in deep you will have to go to the Emergency Room to have it removed. It's usually not possible to pull it out as it is shaped like an arrow head, as you can see in the picture. I've been around them for 30+ years and never been stung, just lucky I guess. I hope this information helps. No reason to be afraid of them. HH

Forgot to mention I live on the West Coast of Florida, St. Petersburg and surrounding beaches. Remember when there's Stingrays there are also Sharks coming in for them. I've never had any problems with them either, they're looking for the Rays not me. But if you see alot of sharks and rays, it might be best to leave the water slowly until things calm down. HH

GUYS, I really appreciate it!! Suncoast THANKS for the picture of the StingRay Barb!! HH, Les Robinson

try this when you sweep your coil have cable ties attached to your coil like whiskers.I put them on mine at 9,12 o`clock and 3,keep low ,slow and the sting rays go.shuffel your feet.:usaflag:hh

I was just watching "River Monsters" on animal planet, it was about large stingray's. The guy that hosts the show caught a river stingray in Thailand that measured 6 feet across, its barb was 10 inches long. While they had it in cavtivity collecting venum samples the huge female stingray gave birth to 3 live young, and they looked to be 18 inches across. A 6 foot stingray would keep me out of the water.

BCOOP

Hi Folks; That pain must be incredible.Up North here we have the North American Wolf Eels. Bury themselves striaght down in the sand and open their mouths. Teeth up to 12" long. Mean bastoards. I hope everyone is ok and recovering nicely. Best wishes. PEACE:RONB