Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Advice Please??

My excal 1000 I bought, is now working and I'm really impressed of its depth. I want to know, what is the setting to discriminate nails for example? This is the best machine w/ respect to depth I have handled and I have had several brands and models. If you have some info about beginers setup please feel free to comment. Thanks and regards to all , all the way from South Texas, almost Mexico.

I always run disc set at 1. Nails are steel, you should get a null over a nail unless it's very rusted. If your getting a good signal on a nail then move disc up till you can't hear it. I've never dug a nail on the beach so not really sure what might be happening. Are you finding a lot of nails? If you are beach hunting it wouldn't be a bad idea to remove as many as you can so no one gets hurt by stepping on one. I dig everything that gives a good signal on the beach. Good luck, Joe.

The discrimnation dial has affect on the detector in many ways. Not just only to discriminate items, as does the volume. While the volume is for the target it in conjunction with all the dials will cause the detector to operate better or worse depended on conditions.What always remains is this detector is not made by Ron Popiel its not set it and for get it. I can't tell you how many hunters I have met that unplug the battery for years cause they have this detector set right???? Master Hunter Clive Clynick who has writen many books on the Excalibur and the Sovereign, when ask how long does it take to tune the detector when hunting. He said in a 6hr hunt certainly no longer than 6 hrs! Its also a good idea to exercize the dial now and then.
BCNJ

Are you in PP mode? You'll hear the nails then but shouldn't in disc. The BBS units (Sovereign/Excalibur) have built in iron rejection in disc that can't be lowered. You might dig the occasional iron target that fools you but by far even those will sound ghostly and bad if not null out completely. I never raise the disc dial on my GT. Always hunted with the disc dial at zero on all my prior machines, so this GT was awfully quite not hearing iron. Was worried that might cause me to mask some good targets but find that Iron Mask ON seems to do some real magic at sounding off to any non-ferrous items in iron.

Hey OBN, any idea if the Excaliburs, like prior Sovereign models that don't have an Iron Mask/On switch, are defaulted to iron mask ON? Always heard the prior Sovereign models were. Just wondering if Minelab turned it OFF on the Excaliburs to help tame down harsh salt and mineral beach environments? I've heard some say they turn it OFF on the GT for more stability in rough grounds but never felt the need to do that. My tests show me about a half inch more depth with Iron Mask On, so for that reason alone, besides the better ability to unmask stuff in Iron, I never turn it OFF. Still smooth as warm butter to me in my mineralized soil or sand sites.