Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need coil to replace stock coil for my Impact. Any suggestions?

Dave_E

Troll
Stock coil for my Impact died.
I've got the 7x4 football and a 7" concentric, but am wondering which coil to get to replace the stock 11x7.

Thinking about Nokta's newer 11" round DD, or a NEL Tornado, or similar.

Anyone have any experience with "larger" Impact coils?

... I would say you're almost good-to-go!

Dave_E said:
Stock coil for my Impact died.
Sorry that happened, but from time-to-time it does.:sad:

Dave_E said:
I've got the 7x4 football and a 7" concentric, but am wondering which coil to get to replace the stock 11x7.

Thinking about Nokta's newer 11" round DD, or a NEL Tornado, or similar.
My #1 favorite 'general purpose' coil I kept mounted for most applications on the Impact, Multi-Kruzer and Anfibio Multi is the round 7" Concentric. I just reacquired one for my Makro Racer 2 this past Saturday. I started Coin Hunting in March of '65 when I got into this great hobby, and spent the bulk of my time working typical urban locations such as parks, schools, easements, private yards, etc. Yes, there was trash, but a much, much greater ratio of Coins-to-Trash, by far, in the majority of huntable sites. Today, almost 5½ decades later, the bulk7 of the easily findable keepers have been recovered, but the amount of discarded modern junk has increased at a rapid and unbelievable rate.:ranting: Not all the good targets were found, but today we have the added challenge of having to unmask the good stuff from all the associated discarded debris.

Due to the increase in trash targets, I continue to prefer a smaller-than-stock search coil to better handle the targets in a too-close proximity and try to sort out the good targets from the bad. When I work into very heavy trash, or places such as debris-filled building tear-downs, renovation sites or places with dense brush, etc., I attack them the same way I have ghost towns, stage stops, homesteads and other old locations I have been Relic Hunting since early '69. I do that by making use of a smaller-than-stock search coil. I have extra coils in my Accessory Coil Tote, should I need them, but I prefer to assign a specific coil to a specific detector, then I just grab the combination I feel best fits my needs at any place I hunt.

I keep an 'OOR' DD on my FORS CoRe and 5" DD on my FORS Relic. I have another models with a 5" DD, a 6' Concentric, and my Racer 2 sports the 7" Concentric. I use smaller-size coils and also a couple of models with what I consider to be a 'mid-size' coil and, to me, those are the 7" Concentric or a 5X9½ or 5½X10 DD. So if you hunt some of the very tough, iron-challenging sites like I do, you might want a smaller-size coil like a 5" DD. Otherwise, I feel the 7" Concentric coil you have for the Impact is a terrific general-purpose search coil.

There are events or occurrences that might cause a lost coin to be 'displaced' and therefore repositioned a bit deeper than normal, but in a natural environment, coins don't sink. They can, however, be displaced. Yes, I have found deep coins, and the deepest of them I found about April of 1969 with a BFO, and then in the summer to fall of '83 and '84 with a slow-sweep motion-based Discriminator. Most coins are relatively shallow, and I still find a lot of older dated coins from surface to about 3". The majority of all the coins I find, regardless of location, are at about 5" or less .... much less, especially in most of the oldest places I search.

I do not have a single detector in my entire outfit that has a 'standard' search coil mounted. They are in the tote should they be needed for a special purpose.

Dave_E said:
Anyone have any experience with "larger" Impact coils?
The new 11" DD round coil that came out with the Anfibio, the 28x28 cm / 11" (IM28R) for the Impact, would be the only coil I would suggest if you wanted a good, versatile coil for larger-size targets and perhaps a little better coverage and a slight edge on depth on coin-size targets. As I said, I don't use larger-size coils often, but I do like the 11" DD on my Anfibio Multi for working a few older parks with some occasional extra-depth oldies to be found. But those deeper silvers and wheat-backs have been at an honest over 5" to 7' to about 8"depth, 9" on a very great rarity. Like two times so far this year

I live in a small town where I hunted the only city park back in '74 & '75. Coins were plentiful but I lived on the other side of the state (Oregon) and worked it on my trips over here, while the locals were cleaning up well. That was back in the starting hey-day of metal detecting. A good 95% of all the coin finds were surface to 3" and a rare one to 4". But in the '80s they removed lot of big trees and turned over most of the park to level it out and put in a baseball field. The results of all that re-contouring caused all the displacement, especially in certain areas, that put coins at various depths. Thus some of the occasional deepies. But this good-sized park has only surrendered one silver to me this year. I found a remote, brushy fringe area where a lot of the dirt had ben moved aside to help level a low spot where I found a '61 silver Roosevelt 10¢ at a whopping 2" and two nearby Wheat-back 1¢.

In reality, in most every-day, commonly-worked urban Coin Hunting locations, there just are not, or are very, very few, deeper coins in common sites. With an Impact, for example, similar to a Racer 2, you could be fully covered for almost any hunting with a round 7" Concentric for the bulk of your detecting, a 5" DD for the worst iron littered or dense trash environments, and if you wanted to go after bigger-size targets or get a little better coverage per sweep, I'd get the newer, round 11" DD to make a functional 3-coil outfit.

Monte

As always, thanks for using your experience to help people out Monte.

Now I'm down to this...

I only have 1 detector, my Impact.
Do I buy the 11" DD, or spend a little more $ and just get a Simplex?
For an extra $160 I get a second machine that's waterproof, and it comes with the 11" DD coil.

Dave_E said:
As always, thanks for using your experience to help people out Monte.
Glad to help, even if a lot of my 'help' is making suggestions and encouraging folks to ponder their situation a bit more.

Dave_E said:
Now I'm down to this...

I only have 1 detector, my Impact.
I remember those days, long, long ago in ancient times, when I set out on an adventure to have fun while being handicapped by not having a 2nd or 'back-up' detector. Something that might complement my primary-use unit. But that was from March of '65 when I built my first Metal-Mineral Locator to August of '68 when I started using my first factory-produced White's and on until late fall of '71 when I added a 2nd detector that worked a little different from the newest that I bought in May of that year.

Fortunately, I had moved to where you might not have great weather all the time, but you can get some detecting in every month of the year. That, and having some friends I made who opened a metal detector shop in '68 gave me the opportunity to check out a lot of different makes and models, either borrowed or I bought them, just so I could make sure I had a detector battery that would be handy for my needs. Since late '71 and the start of '72, I have always maintained a a personal detector outfit of at least 2 or 3 detectors, generally never of only one brand, that provided me different performance so that the different makes and models complemented each other in some way. No 'perfect' detector made.

Dave_E said:
Do I buy the 11" DD, or spend a little more $ and just get a Simplex?
My opinion is it's a great idea to add a 2nd detector to your outfit. If the Simplex + offers features and functions that you feel complement the Impact and might address some of the needs you have, then perhaps the Simplex + IS a good model to consider. I know I have every intention of having a Simplex + in my vehicle for a lot of my detecting jaunts. Do you Beach Hunt? Live near the ocean, some popular-use lake beaches or other high-use activity sites near water? Do you hunt them? Then maybe that would be one good reason.

I never learned to swim, and when I beach hunted most of the time, be it at the coast or a few lakes and large rivers I enjoyed searching, I hunted the dry beach, the wet zone, and waded into the water almost knee-deep. But the past 26 years I have been getting around with the aid of a cane, and canes and soft loose sand don't work out too well. Worse yet, my mobility hampers my ability to get around in that type of surface. But, I do still hunt some freshwater beaches that have a more compacted gravelly type ground to maneuver on, and with a waterproof detector I can also get out on days like today when it is quite rainy and wet. If I fall or have an Oooops! moment and drop my detector in the water, I won't have cause for alarm. For those very reasons I have been interested in the Simplex since the concept was first previewed two Detectival's ago.

I have my Anfibio Multi, but it isn't one of my Regular-Use Detectors as I have others that I favor for the very challenging places I like to search. very challenging with dense brush, building rubble, and an over-supply of nails and other ferrous discards and rusty tin [size=small](which naturally isn't really 'tin')[/size]. It does come with the new style 11" DD coil .... but I wish it didn't. I'll get a Simplex + then hold my breath for them to get a better or handier smaller-size coil made for it. I'd live to see something like a 7" Concentric for better balance and more functional for a variety of different applications. The stock 11" DD will get used on a wide-open beach area and perhaps a few other inland sites.

Dave_E said:
For an extra $160 I get a second machine that's waterproof, and it comes with the 11" DD coil.
Yes, waterproof would be a plus for someone who only has an Impact .... if they do much Beach Hunting or spend time getting wet by hunting often in rainy weather. Me, I might when the need arises, but when it's wet or white outside, I stay inside and dry doing research. And yes, it will come with the 11" DD coil which just might help handle some of the reasons why you want or need a big 11" DD coil, whatever those might be? :shrug: Do you really have a need and use for an 11" DD coil?

The Simplex+ will provide a waterproof unit with an 11" DD coil, but what we don't know yet [size=small](until we get one in our hands and put it to work in different field conditions)[/size] is just how well it works, for us and our needs, and if we are going to like the audio tone, the response-and-recovery in challenging trash, and how the signal is processed and conveyed to us. Knowing Nokta / Makro products I suspect it is going to satisfy me just fine, but we never know for sure until we put it to work and do some comparisons.

Not sure where you live but if close to a metal detecting club, a Nokta / Makro Dealer, or if you can just meet up with someone who has a Simplex+ after they are released, give it a little time to track one down so you can handle it and listen to it and see what you think. In the meantime, just enjoy using the Impact w/7" Concentric and finding stuff.:thumbup:

Monte