Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

NEED HELP DATING BUTTON

DWild

Found this button at a pro-southern 1861 camp in Missouri. It's back marked Waterbury Button Co. on a stippled background with one star. Go over to the e-trac forum under DOUBLE GOLD and check out the two gold coins as well other items I found at this site. I have asked for help on the button on that forum but no answers yet.

Nice button, very good condition! It is a Civil War general enlisted mans button. We call them eagle buttons, worth $5-7 dollars. Good find! Gary.

nice find ! I love digging buttons! gold coins no way im going to check them out.

Every general enlisted button Waterbury back mark I have found says 1861 to 1865 has 2 stars not one. I can't find a reference to the one star. What is the back mark on pre 1861 ?

With reference to Albert's button book; the specification for this type general service button was issued in 1854 ( without elaboration as to when actual manufacture began or ceased). There is an identical looking button pictured (GI 94) on page 39. Next page lists the five manufacturers backmarks, the fifth being Waterbury Button Co. * (one star). The RV (relative value) of this group of buttons is1 which relates to value in U.S. dollars in the early 1970"s. The button backmark book by WcGuinn & Bazelton (P107) states that the GI-94 type 5 is an 1860's button and has been dug in CW sites. There were many variations of buttons & backmarks so, FYI "Many Waterbury Button Co. papers are intact and now at the Nagatuck museum in Waterbury".

Good CW relic find !