Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help finding mother's gold/diamond earring!

KY PI

My parents just told me that mom lost one of her gold/diamond earrings last month when the went to church. It was very cold and there was a couple of inches of snow on the gravel parking lot. The pastor checked in the church but it may have been lost in the parking lot. I have a MXT PRO with a 12" coil plus a 4x6 shooter coil. I also have a 6x10DD on it's way to me. I plan to check the remaining earring to get it's VDI reading and hunting in C&J mode. Would this be the best way to search? What coil would be best? It is a large parking lot with an overflow gravel lot where they had parked. Any advice will be appreciated since I am very inexperienced. Matter of fact, I have never searched for anything specific before. Thanks in advance for everyone's help! BTW, the earring is very sentimental to her because Dad had just gotten them for her for there 50th wedding anniversary!

I'd use the 12" coil.
there shouldn't be to much trash.
Good idea to check the VDI of the other one and learn the sound/tone.
no need to run the machine too high.
The ear ring will be right on the surface.

Good luck

HH

What type of earring is it, a post style or hoop ? It can make a big difference. A hoop style will often give a pretty strong hit while a seemingly very similar post earring can be nearly invisible to your machine. I would suggest when you check the VDI on the earring that you pay close attention when you do. The signal may be "dirty" (scratchy, broken) sounding because of the stone and the signal can vary considerably depending on the orientation to the coil. When you air-test the earring to get the VDI take time to carefully orient the earring at different angles to the coil to get the range of possible signals you can expect to hear. Luckily it should be very shallow so you should be able to get your coil close to it. Other than that, go slow, check every signal and good luck. JMHO

It is a post type earring. I would imagine it has to be on top of the ground or fairly shallow. Would there be any reason to try relic mode or would coin & jewelry be best? I don't know my machine well enough to know the advantages unless less tones to deal with would help. The vdi would remain the same in either mode wouldn't it? Thanks again for everyone's input!

While following the advice given by srf2112, pay particular attention to how strongly the 12

KY PI said:
It is a post type earring. I would imagine it has to be on top of the ground or fairly shallow. Would there be any reason to try relic mode or would coin & jewelry be best? I don't know my machine well enough to know the advantages unless less tones to deal with would help. The vdi would remain the same in either mode wouldn't it? Thanks again for everyone's input!
I would think a post will give a pretty good hit especially close to the coil. Yes, the VDI will be the same in either mode. I'd test the other earring on your 6x10 also if you have it . . that may be the best coil for this job JMHO.