Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need help Identifing a coin

Found this coin Sat. at an old park that was shutdown in the 1920's. No one has been there except hunters and we find very little junk.The coin was pretty cruddy when I found it and it ran up like a nickel. It did have a strange number and sound to it 13-09 12-09 12-43. Almost was like a head stamp. I got it out of the ground and thought it was an indian as we find them more than anything else.When I got home and started to clean it(olive oil and soft brush)it started to get silvery. It has been soaking for a while and I keep cleaning it and this is what I have so far. It is the same size as a nickel and is thick on one side. Don't know if it got smashed or what.I have been looking for any kind of mark and I see a faint outline but cant make it out. There has been a variety of old coins found in this area with nothing past the 30's and some stuff in the 1700's. Any clues would be helpful,thanks

brother steve said:
I was thinking flying eagle too. A steel nickel would be to late for that place.
Not sure I understand the reasoning for this post? Since you can't identify this item its a flying eagle why? You should be defaulting to the items you dig most the indian head. Just because the park closed in 1920 doesn't mean someone like yourself couldn't have droped a 2012 penny. Of the flying eagles I have dug none were that color and none had pitting. Some were found on a river beach wet sand. That coin? is far too thin!
BCNJ

If it is the size of a nickel, I doubt it is a Flying Eagle cent. Even the Shield nickel is a bit smaller diameter than the modern nickel. If it is a US coin, it could be an "oxidized" V nickel, Buffalo or Jefferson. Keep soaking it in olive oil and looking at it with light coming in from different directions. Sooner or later, you might pick out a distinguishing mark. HH Randy