Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Help Identifying Coil. Eric Foster PI ?

foggynotion

I bought this coil and another one that looks identical but the coil ears are black. Both have the same connector. One meters at 1mH and 10 ohms and the other at 400uH and 10 ohms. I was hoping the 1mH coil would work on a Headhunter Pulse. I changed the connector but when I install on the HHPI, I get very low sensitivity.
I would like to know what detector they are for.

I have a Eric Foster 11" HHPI custom coil and it looks exactly like yours except it is white.

1 millihenry inductance and 10 ohms resistance is the correct rating for the coil.

Are you using the specific HHPI connector? They were unique to Detector Pro. I got a few from Gary before he sold the company. They weren't cheap, I wonder where I put them.

Hi Robo. If you look at the coil ears, you can see it's not a HHPI coil, but it meters out at 1mH and 10 ohms. The coil is thicker than an HHPI coil, so I think it's for one of the Eric Foster high powered PI detectors. I have 3 HHPIs and extra connectors. I cut off the original connector and installed the HHPI connector.
The second photo is of the original connector. It's a 4 pin connector.

Yes, the coil is thicker than a stock HHPI coil and it has an orange wire. I found my connectors but don't have a quick pic. I have 4 HHPI's with 11" coil and one 8 inch coil.

I was wrong about how many pins in the connector. It's 3 not 4. One hole is for the allignment key. I have attached a photo of one of the coils in question next to a Headhunter Pulse coil to show the difference in thickness.
One thing that I want to reiterate and find curious, is that both the black coils are identical physically, but one has an inductance of 1 mH and the other is 400 uh. Would a PI detector use coils of 2 different inductances?

I think the shape of the coil is just due to the mold that Eric had/used.

Eric has been on this forum. Just contact him directly I'm sure he would be glad to answer your questions. He answered mine about an old prototype detector he put together years ago, the Aqua Sport.

I sent Eric an IM about it last year but he never replied. I also posted this question last year on the Modifications forum but nobody provided an answer. Somebody there suggested that I might have better luck posting the question in the Technology forum. I will send Eric another IM.
The reason I want to ID the coils is that if they won't work on the HHPI, I would like to sell them. I paid quite a bit for them just taking the chance they would work. The HHPI is my favorite detector, so I grab up complete units and components as they become available, so that I can continue to cobble together at least one working unit.
The coil cable on one of my HHPI 11" coils just developed multiple cracks in the sheath. Thankfully, I was able to repair it with liquid electrical tape and silicone rescue tape over that. I covered the entire cable and it made for an awesome repair.

Yeah it's my favorite too.

Here's why

https://www.wesh.com/article/man-finds-treasure-possibly-linked-to-1715-spanish-fleet/10034643

not. 1mH coil is last design of Eric. this is C-scope 4pi, 6pi, Goldscan SS feetted.
this forum has advanced engine search and you can easely find up what Eric wrote about 1mH coil.