Find's Treasure Forums

Welcome to Find's Treasure Forums, Guests!

You are viewing this forums as a guest which limits you to read only status.

Only registered members may post stories, questions, classifieds, reply to other posts, contact other members using built in messaging and use many other features found on these forums.

Why not register and join us today? It's free! (We don't share your email addresses with anyone.) We keep email addresses of our users to protect them and others from bad people posting things they shouldn't.

Click here to register!

Need Support Help?

Cannot log in?, click here to have new password emailed to you

Changed email? Forgot to update your account with new email address? Need assistance with something else?, click here to go to Find's Support Form and fill out the form.

Need Help Identifying Pulse Coil

foggynotion

I bought this coil because it looked like an Eric Foster coil and that it would work on my Headhunter Pulse machine.
I metered the coil, and the inductance is 996 uh and the resistance is 10 ohms. I changed the connector to a HHPI connector.
The problem is it will only detect a very large object an inch or two from the coil.
The coil looks brand new, with no wear whatsoever and since the inductance and resistance are reading correctly, it seems like the coil should not be defective.
So, I would like to know if this coil is compatible with the Headhunter Pulse, and if so, what can I do to that might get it to work?

hi, sorry for my language just its not native for me.

there are two concepts of PIs - 350uH coil and 1mH coil. seems you took last one. did you measure HHPI original coil?

and original coil also has 10 Ohm value measured?

Inductance & resistance are "close enough" so now you need to measure self-resonance to see if there is a big difference in parasitic capacitance. That would affect the required damping resistor.

Eric uses especial cable for coils. can you give pics of markings on the cable isolation? i assume the cable was changed.

That's what I was thinking, Eric uses special cable and this particular black coil above with black cable is a different cable? Eric's cable were orange for this same size coil, i have the same coil a 10uS for the GoldQuest with orange cable.

Hopefully, all goes well the HH Pi is a neat pi I have a couple.

Paul

Thank you everyone for your advice.
I have a feeling buying this coil was a waste of money.
I actually bought two of them. The other one is all black (no orange color) meters at 460 uh.
Fortunately, I have 2 HHPIs that are working great. I just bought the 2 new coils because some forum members have mentioned they have other coils fitted to their units and I was curious to try it.

I have a custom coil on my HHPI. It was made by Eric Foster and installed by Bill Crabtree. It has the orange cable. It is the best performing HHPI I have (of 3).

If you put Eric's name in your header maybe he will respond.

I remember Gary Storm said when his coil maker passed away he stopped carrying the pulse model.

Maybe there is something very special about making these coils?

i guess a winding was been filled by epoxy... not right decision for speed pi coil.